Thread: Hello from Southern Illinois!

Default Hello from Southern Illinois!

Hello Everyone,
    I just thought I could introduce myself now that I have officially started bowling in a league again. I used to bowl seriously up until high school (highest average I had was about 180, with a high game of 278), but then decided to focus solely on baseball because that was my thing. But now that I'm done with baseball (have been for a few years now), I didn't think to start bowling again until I went on a little casual bowling outing with a friend...I used a house ball, but BOY! Did I enjoy getting those '10 in the pit' strikes! So I learned that there was a league starting at my university, and decided to join as a random because it was a team based league. Our first league night was Monday, and I bowled a 182, 215, and 184. I was very pleased with that performance! I bought and used a 15lb blue hammer, knowing it's urethane and not very reactive, because I decided I wanted a ball to both strike and spare with...speaking of spares, that 182 game only had 2 strikes! haha I was pleasantly surprised how well I did at picking up all those one pin spares! I also got the blue hammer because I wanted to test my hypothesis of a less reactive ball being more consistent (or less reactive to the different lane conditions, but really, it's probably just beginner friendly)...and also having a much straighter line (standing far right and throwing just left of the first arrow...7 board?) to the pocket would result in fewer splits (which is just a gut feeling). There was only one split (4,9) in all 3 games, but that was just my first three games, so we'll see, but I was pleased with my balls performance! Even though part of me wants a more reactive ball, I want to stick with the blue hammer to speed up my relearning and really focus on accuracy/pocket impact. I'm excited to bowl again, and adopt it as a life long hobby because it can be played all year round, and alleys are all over the place!

Welcome to the site. Urethane is a good choice for an easy to control ball. Hopefully they lanes you bowl at don't decide to start putting out more oil
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Welcome to the site. With a line like you described, you can pretty much play that shot on most conditions since its so straight to the pocket.

Welcome to the site.

Chats: 10

Welcome!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Prior to 2008 I used to bowl casually with a few buddies from college. I didn't start taking bowling seriously until last Feb and promptly bought my first finger tip drilled bowling ball (Black Widow Assassin) and started bowling in leagues last June. It's a great sport and I love that its something that can be done any time of year regardless of the weather. Anyways, welcome back to bowling and welcome to site! There's a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable people here as I soon learned after joining the site.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Welcome to the mix

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Welcome!!

Welcome to the site! I also recently just started getting serious about the sport last year. It's a great game! I also just very recently got my wife all of her own equipment and more interested. We can literally grow old together on the lanes!
    Curr. League Avg: 203
    High Game/Series: 279/705
    Arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (15#), Storm IQ Tour Nano (15#), Storm Mix (15#)
    PAP: 3 5/8" - 1/2" --- I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums