Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Is Belmonte/Rash staged??

Chats: 2

And Mark Roth, 14 titles in just two years, 1978/79

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Give it time (straight from PBA.com):

Belmo = 7 years/12 titles = 1.7 titles a year (5 Majors)
    WRW = 35 years/47 titles = 1.34 titles a year (8 Majors)
    Duke = 33 years/38 titles = 1.15 titles a year (7 Majors)
    Barnes = 17 years/18 titles = 1.06 titles a year (3 Majors)
    Bohn = 31 years/34 titles = 1.1 titles a year (2 Majors)
    PDW = 36 years/37 titles = 1.03 titles a year (10 Majors)
    Rash = 10 years/8 titles = 0.8 titles a year (2 Majors)

I say Belmo is on track to be the greatest. We'll just have to come back in 10 years or more to see if his success is sustainable
    Everyone points to the "rate" because the simple math of it is...Rash + Belmo equals 2 titles more than Chris Barnes has by himself...and half the titles WRW and Earl Anthony possess individually (there about).

I agree Belmo has a shot at greatness and the Majors to back it up. But there's bowlers with 40 titles on that list. At 1.7 (we'll even round it to 2) per year...for the remaining 28 years...that's 56 + his 12...that's 68. HOWEVER...Belmo is already 31. That means he has more like 25 years left. So that brings the number to 62. But here's the rub...the 2-handed style is notoriously bad on the back. Both he and Osku have had setbacks related to back injuries. Can Belmo throw that style for 25 more years? Is the wear and tear on the back any more of a hinderance than the conventional style and it's wear and tear on shoulders/elbows/knees??? I don't know. But we'll see.

But as of TODAY...in REALITY...WRW has 47 titles and Earl Anthony has 43. They are generally considered the two best bowlers to ever roll a ball. Duke could catch him...PDW could catch em...maybe....Parker could catch em. But barring unforeseen circumstances...and given Earl's life was cut a bit short...and Mark Roth had serious health issues later in his career...WRW is not going to be easy to pass. I mean, Parker has been steamrolling the PBA50 this season...PDW also has been solid each outing...and both Duke and WRW just made a PBA Tour stepladder final. These guys are going to have to actually retire if Barnes, Mika, Jones, O'Neill, Rash, Tackett, and Belmo are going to seriously challenge them.

I'm really hoping I get to meet WRW and Parker Bohn at one of the two Pro-Ams I'm participating in next weekend. It'd be cool to meet any of the PBA50 guys really and I'm looking forward to it (but also nervous that I'll suck terribly)...but shaking WRW's hand...knowing that I'm shaking the hand of the greatest bowler to ever live...THAT would be a really cool thing. That picture would be framed and hanging prominently in my apartment. Not in a creepy shrine way...but in a very prominent way like an old Catholic couple might have a picture of the pope hanging in their house.

Too bad classygranny wasn't still in the OC (and her husband didn't mysteriously hate me for some reason)...because if she was around the first weekend in June and then the first part of that following week...she could have been in two Pro-Ams AND got in a clinic with Sean Rash and Missy Parkin. The clinic with Rash/Parkin costs less than or the same as a lesson with Mark. AND she coulda been in the audience for the PBA West Regional Open June 5th-7th. I unfortunately can't make every day of that event because my daughter has a horse show and I'm moving that weekend...but I'm doing both Pro Ams!! I may be the worst bowler to EVER bowl in a pro-am...but I'm doing it anyways!! Ya only live once!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Left out Earl Anthony. Amazing success in short amount of time = 43 titles in 13 years (1970-1983) Source: Wikipedia.
    Absolutely. And it's a shame he gets overlooked by modern bowlers. Those of us that watched the PBA way back when...Earl the Pearl was about as dominant a bowler as anyone had ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    And Mark Roth, 14 titles in just two years, 1978/79
    And the only person Earl Anthony ever admitted was better than he was...Mark Roth. And if we're factoring in how they actually changed the entire game...Roth wins. The cranker, high rev, thumbless, tear the cover off the ball type of pre-modern bowling was all but invented by Mark Roth. And for that brief time before injury...he was a freight train....unstoppable. Probably the closest thing to a modern day Belmo. Commentators said the same thing about him that they say about Belmo...almost word for word...things like, "He does things with the ball that make him just so hard to beat."

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Too bad classygranny wasn't still in the OC (and her husband didn't mysteriously hate me for some reason)...because if she was around the first weekend in June and then the first part of that following week...she could have been in two Pro-Ams AND got in a clinic with Sean Rash and Missy Parkin. The clinic with Rash/Parkin costs less than or the same as a lesson with Mark. AND she coulda been in the audience for the PBA West Regional Open June 5th-7th. I unfortunately can't make every day of that event because my daughter has a horse show and I'm moving that weekend...but I'm doing both Pro Ams!! I may be the worst bowler to EVER bowl in a pro-am...but I'm doing it anyways!! Ya only live once!
    That's ok...I really enjoyed working with Mark. I'm not much of a Rash/Parkin fan. We missed the Pro-Am that was here because we were in Calif...missed Calif because we came home.

And my husband doesn't mysteriously hate you...he knows nothing about you - or this forum. I have to have something to escape too after work, house, everyday issues that is just mine and mine alone...so he has no idea what goes on on this forum, and hopefully, never will.

And it was really me...I use the San Clemente vacation to sit on the balcony, watch the surfers, walk the pier, walk the beach, read and overall do nothing. The bowling lesson was a new adventure and the only place we went other than to the grocery store and used book store, and to have dinner with his high school buddy at the pier. Otherwise this vacation is only for nothing, no going places, no meeting people, no activities!

Enjoy the Pro-Am and bowl well!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

if two handed is so much easier and superior than how come there aren't more out there. Why do people constantly look down upon people who don't bowl the "traditional" way. Different strokes for different folks.

The only reason most people don't like Belmonte is they know he is better then them and beating the game with a different approach
    I don't know, I've seen quite a few two-handers amongst the the younger generation. There's tons of them in high school and college bowling now. Also, don't remember which one but a recent telecast I saw two two-handers in (not belmo or osku). Considering they are still a relatively small percentage of bowlers, I feel like they've been on TV more than their share lately. Kind of like when of a small number of left-handers, many of them make it to TV.

I can bowl two-handed from much further left than I'd ever be able to normally, with much more hook. It's easier it that regard (producing revs and speed) and I tend to get better pin carry. I'm not consistent enough with it though, so I don't use it often.

Actually, I find it easier to throw a reverse hook using two hands than a normal hook with two hands for some reason...? Sometimes I do that for fun when I'm just playing around and can't get a good line with my normal bowling! I get that fresh oil and much easier strikes

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2878

Give it time (straight from PBA.com):

Belmo = 7 years/12 titles = 1.7 titles a year (5 Majors)
    WRW = 35 years/47 titles = 1.34 titles a year (8 Majors)
    Duke = 33 years/38 titles = 1.15 titles a year (7 Majors)
    Barnes = 17 years/18 titles = 1.06 titles a year (3 Majors)
    Bohn = 31 years/34 titles = 1.1 titles a year (2 Majors)
    PDW = 36 years/37 titles = 1.03 titles a year (10 Majors)
    Rash = 10 years/8 titles = 0.8 titles a year (2 Majors)

I say Belmo is on track to be the greatest. We'll just have to come back in 10 years or more to see if his success is sustainable
    Earl Anthony = 13 years / 43 titles = 3.3 titles per year (10 majors)

Earl's success rate will almost never be duplicated, especially with the truncated schedule the PBA has, with many fewer events. Earl was DOMINANT.
    James Goulding
    Radical Regional Staff
    Moore's Pro Shop
    Driller / Consultant

"The Maine Bowler" blog: www.jgoulding.wordpress.com

Yeah, the interesting thing to watch will be that 47 title number. Will WRW reach 50? Can anyone ever even eclipse 47? Norm and Pete are still there...Parker is still there. But Barnes has fallen off his pace and Mika has retired. And while Belmo had a great year or so...he's still well, well behind. He'd have to continue his pace for another 20 years...and the 2-handed style is only going to shorten his career (back issues), not lengthen it.

So, while people accuse me of being a "2-handed hater"...I can't recognize Belmo as the "best" bowler when it's doubtful he'll even reach the top 5 in terms of titles by the time he retires and heads to the PBA50. There just aren't enough titles each year and the bowling ball technology is actually working AGAINST high rev players by allowing lower rev players to increase their angles.

Mark Roth is a great example. Earl even admitted that he thought Roth might eclipse him because at the time Roth was doing things with a bowling ball that few others could do. But that style...led to health issues...and pretty soon, guys could get similar movement with less revs due to ball technology. I see the same fate for guys like Belmo and Troup. When they are "on", they are almost impossible to beat. But their windows are much smaller than traditional bowlers and there are a lot less titles to go around.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567