Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Is Belmonte/Rash staged??

I enjoy Belmo's easy going personality- I think it would be a blast to hang out with him and have some beers. I think the PBA ruined him for a lot of purists by constantly talking about him over and over and over and over on every telecast, every frame, even when he isn't on the lanes. A lot of people are just sick of hearing how incredible he is. Come on- he's been on the tour since 2008 and has 12 titles. That's good, but Tommy Jones won his first 12 in 4 years. The PBA never pushed Tommy Jones as hard as Belmo. Did they push him? Yes- but not every sentence on a telecast. I think people just get sick of hearing about him. I'm sure they want to create a villan as much as a hero, but as a purist, I'd rather see good bowling than the WWE in bowling shoes- I think it's ridiculous as the blue oil on the lanes.

Belmo is dialed in right NOW. Will he be like this in 3 years? I doubt it. Things ebb and flow. He won't have a Norm Duke-length career, I don't think his body will hold up, at least as a 2-handed chucker. The PBA desperately needs something to push. Belmo is their idea of Tiger Woods right now. But, they're trying too hard to make everyone think he's the best thing since an axis hole. Speaking of those, Pete Weber IS an axis hole.

I don't really even recognize the game now compared to 1990. It's completely different.

Chats: 204

Yeah. The younger folks and folks newer to the sport think that because Belmo is on top of the world…that he's the greatest EVER. They either forget or don't know that other bowlers have had the same early success and received the same accolades. Jason Couch, Chris Barnes, Rhino Page, Bill O'Neil, etc… Belmo is nothing 'new'…he's just new in a different way. Kinda like how my little cousin thought N'Sync was the greatest band ever…because they didn't understand that N'Sync was simply preceded by The Backstreet Boys….and followed by One Direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Yeah. The younger folks and folks newer to the sport think that because Belmo is on top of the world…that he's the greatest EVER. They either forget or don't know that other bowlers have had the same early success and received the same accolades. Jason Couch, Chris Barnes, Rhino Page, Bill O'Neil, etc… Belmo is nothing 'new'…he's just new in a different way. Kinda like how my little cousin thought N'Sync was the greatest band ever…because they didn't understand that N'Sync was simply preceded by The Backstreet Boys….and followed by One Direction.
    That is quite possibly the most disturbing analogy in history.

Or Belmo could end up being like PDW and WRW and have staying power. Let's just wait and see

No need to crown or dismiss him yet. The one thing we know is right NOW he is top of the world. But 1,2,5 years down the road no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    That is quite possibly the most disturbing analogy in history.

Stick around......He got hundreds of 'em!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

My take here, as a 2 hander, and an Aussie!!... In few words, the rivalry between Rash and Belmo, love it, I want to see passion and grudge matches, who doesn't!!

Rash's overall behavior in general, rather surly, and feral.. Remember some years ago, he was winning a PBA event against the local guy.. Rash yelled out "who's your hometown hero now"..Classless!!
    Now Belmo, lots of posturing, and showmanship, questionable sportsmanship at times, but hey, the bloke can seriously roll!! period! I don't have to love the guy, but totally respect his bowling...

In summary, both elite bowlers, both have dubious laneside behavior...

I still always cheer for Parker though!!

Chats: 204

I'm not a Sean Rash fan either. I think he comes off as a spoiled brat that thinks the sport owes him something and he should win every time. Yet when was the last time I remember him actually winning anything? It's been awhile.

Now, will my opinion of him change after I bowl in a clinic with him in early June? Probably. But maybe not. We'll see.

And I don't mind the passion the game has now…and I'd love to see some rivalry between brands or even players that don't like each other. I just worry that too much of it is staged. PDW always sort of hints to that when people criticize his antics…hinting that he's a different person when you meet him than the "persona" you see on TV.

Alot of Belmo hate is just hating the really good guy. It happens in every sport, in music, entertainment, etc… Eventually people get sick of "the guy" and there's a backlash. Bowling has pushed Belmo SO HARD on everyone that some people react with "ughh…do I have to hear his name at EVERY event…win or lose?" And thats not Belmo's fault…can't fault a guy for being good.

I remember yesterday, trying to get caught up in my PBAExtra archived stuff…and I saw Belmo make a shot and just instinctively said out loud, "Damn that was a good shot!" I then stopped myself and realized I was praising Belmo…but THAT is how I feel about Belmo. An exceptional and under-rated (if you can believe that) talent…and everyone that bowls against him agrees…but his antics with water bottles and towels and just idiotic stuff like that make the "old guard" like me pause and think, "Ya know what…all the talent in the World doesn't mean you can act in a classless way." I was annoyed watching Kyle Troup bowl as well…after a bad shot he'd be banging on the equipment…throwing a mini-fit….wearing his outlandishly loud apparel…just another young guy starting to make his rounds in the PBA who thinks he's the next big thing…and it's annoying.

And they haven't REALLY done anything yet….even Belmo. Norm Duke is the top seed in the Badger stepladder if I remember correctly. Parker Bohn has been the hottest bowler in the first part of the year. And WRW I think made the Badger stepladder as well. The old guard, hall of famers, are not just quietly riding off into the sunset. And every title they add…that inches them closer to 40, 45, 50 titles…makes talented guys like a Chris Barnes or a Belmonte that much less relevant…because bowlers are judged by titles…not gimics…not how hot they are at any given time. And to get that respect and consideration as "the best"…eventually a guy like Belmo needs to match the titles of a Duke, Weber, WRW, Anthony…too many good bowlers…hall of famers…that aren't in the "best ever" conversation because they simply couldn't get that 20th title.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

And they haven't REALLY done anything yet….even Belmo. Norm Duke is the top seed in the Badger stepladder if I remember correctly. Parker Bohn has been the hottest bowler in the first part of the year. And WRW I think made the Badger stepladder as well. The old guard, hall of famers, are not just quietly riding off into the sunset. And every title they add…that inches them closer to 40, 45, 50 titles…makes talented guys like a Chris Barnes or a Belmonte that much less relevant…because bowlers are judged by titles…not gimics…not how hot they are at any given time. And to get that respect and consideration as "the best"…eventually a guy like Belmo needs to match the titles of a Duke, Weber, WRW, Anthony…too many good bowlers…hall of famers…that aren't in the "best ever" conversation because they simply couldn't get that 20th title.
    Give it time (straight from PBA.com):

Belmo = 7 years/12 titles = 1.7 titles a year (5 Majors)
    WRW = 35 years/47 titles = 1.34 titles a year (8 Majors)
    Duke = 33 years/38 titles = 1.15 titles a year (7 Majors)
    Barnes = 17 years/18 titles = 1.06 titles a year (3 Majors)
    Bohn = 31 years/34 titles = 1.1 titles a year (2 Majors)
    PDW = 36 years/37 titles = 1.03 titles a year (10 Majors)
    Rash = 10 years/8 titles = 0.8 titles a year (2 Majors)

I say Belmo is on track to be the greatest. We'll just have to come back in 10 years or more to see if his success is sustainable

Left out Earl Anthony. Amazing success in short amount of time = 43 titles in 13 years (1970-1983) Source: Wikipedia.

Chats: 32

I have no doubt that Belmo is amazingly talented at what he does. My wife loves him. I'm just not a fan of the two handed style never will be. I'm not a hater but I just don't enjoy it much and think it gives an unfair advantage. I will give him props if he can keep going at anywhere close to this pace he will be a hall of famer and maybe the best ever unfortunately he plays in an era where the best bowlers probably aren't even on the tour. Their is a reason why Bohn, Duke, WRW, and PDW are still competitive at their age and it's not that's how great they are it's how little new talent their is.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast