Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 3 balls strikes, downhill from there, why?

Chats: 0

Default First 3 balls strikes, downhill from there, why?

When I start to practice, the first 3 balls I roll are almost always strikes. But after that, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 strikes in 10 balls. Does anyone else have that problem? Any idea why it could be? I haven't yet taken a video to study what I'm doing differently, but one thing I noticed is that I think the first few balls I hold with more of a cupped wrist position, and then maybe my wrist gets tired and gets more straight eventually? Whatever it is, it's very frustrating! Robert (14 lb. Mastermind Genius, fingertip grip)

The first three balls you throw without any expectations. After that, you start "trying" to knock down pins. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The first three balls you throw without any expectations. After that, you start "trying" to knock down pins. Does that make sense?
    Yes, I think it makes a lot of sense. Now if I could only keep that carefree mental state throughout the whole game...

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by renenkel View Post
    Yes, I think it makes a lot of sense. Now if I could only keep that carefree mental state throughout the whole game...
    Easier said then done. I struggle with the same thing a lot.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 10

Happens to me. The expectation I have after I turkey it up increases and I become less relaxed.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by renenkel View Post
    When I start to practice, the first 3 balls I roll are almost always strikes. But after that, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 strikes in 10 balls. Does anyone else have that problem? Any idea why it could be? I haven't yet taken a video to study what I'm doing differently, but one thing I noticed is that I think the first few balls I hold with more of a cupped wrist position, and then maybe my wrist gets tired and gets more straight eventually? Whatever it is, it's very frustrating! Robert (14 lb. Mastermind Genius, fingertip grip)
    This may be related to the thread we had here a while back about wiping the ball after each shot.

If you don't wipe the ball, a possible reason for your 3 frame phenomenon could be that when you start practice, your ball has had an opportunity to absorb any surface oil.

After a few shots, oil has collected on the ball and you need to tighten up the line.

Once the league starts, there is more time between your shots giving the ball time to absorb surface oil.

That would make your "tightened" line too tight.

Either that, or it's all in your head

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    This may be related to the thread we had here a while back about wiping the ball after each shot.

If you don't wipe the ball, a possible reason for your 3 frame phenomenon could be that when you start practice, your ball has had an opportunity to absorb any surface oil.

After a few shots, oil has collected on the ball and you need to tighten up the line.

Once the league starts, there is more time between your shots giving the ball time to absorb surface oil.

That would make your "tightened" line too tight.

Either that, or it's all in your head
    I think I was responsible for that thread and I did start wiping the ball after every shot it did make some difference.

I think with me it's too things. 1. I tighten up at the start of league just a little and 2. Either I add a little cup or my wrist just loosens up a bit more even after my practice shots so I get a little more rotation on the ball to start I've started making a 2 and 1 adjustment on the first ball of league play whether I think I need it or not and that has helped me it's right more often than not

Cranker

Transition?

Because three strikes and you're out?

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    Because three strikes and you're out?
    I see what you did there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast