Thread: Shouldn't a bowling writer know better?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Default Shouldn't a bowling writer know better?

The following is a quote from the article on the PBA website about Belmonte's victory in Yesterday's Masters.

"Utilizing his unique two-handed delivery, Belmonte has amassed 11 career PBA Tour titles, including four major victories. He earned $50,000 for winning the Masters."

While Belmonte's delivery is not the standard bowling technique, and he was the first to make a televised final using it, he is not the only two-hander out there. It is only unique in the same way that no two conventional bowlers will have the exact same delivery due to the differences in size and strength between them.
    John

Chats: 204

I think most of the bowling community still considers 2-handed bowling to be a fad or "unique" delivery. And statistics back that up. At the WSOB, I think there may have been 3-5 2-handers total and hundreds of non-2-handers.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I think most of the bowling community still considers 2-handed bowling to be a fad or "unique" delivery. And statistics back that up. At the WSOB, I think there may have been 3-5 2-handers total and hundreds of non-2-handers.
    By definition, something that is unique is one of a kind. There may only be two, three, or four other prominent two-handers, but that only makes Belmonte's style rare or very unusual, not unique.
    John

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    The following is a quote from the article on the PBA website about Belmonte's victory in Yesterday's Masters.

"Utilizing his unique two-handed delivery, Belmonte has amassed 11 career PBA Tour titles, including four major victories. He earned $50,000 for winning the Masters."

While Belmonte's delivery is not the standard bowling technique, and he was the first to make a televised final using it, he is not the only two-hander out there. It is only unique in the same way that no two conventional bowlers will have the exact same delivery due to the differences in size and strength between them.
    Most times when someone has something written about them, they are happy if the writer just gets their name spelled correctly.

You seem to want to hold a writer to a much higher standard, having a clue what they are writing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Most times when someone has something written about them, they are happy if the writer just gets their name spelled correctly.

You seem to want to hold a writer to a much higher standard, having a clue what they are writing about.
    Heck yeah. If a bowling magazine wanted to write something about me...I'm sure they'd refer to me as unique. But as long as they mention me...I'm good. I'm still waiting for Rob M. to credit me in one of his articles. I'm hoping for something like, "One of my greatest students" or "one of bowling's up and coming stars"...something along those lines.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Heck yeah. If a bowling magazine wanted to write something about me...I'm sure they'd refer to me as unique. But as long as they mention me...I'm good. I'm still waiting for Rob M. to credit me in one of his articles. I'm hoping for something like, "One of my greatest students" or "one of bowling's up and coming stars"...something along those lines.
    You can hope all you want, but an article would be more likely to occur if you actually achieved one of those statuses.

Chats: 55

more like an article on "What Not to Do" inspired by the toughest student west of the Mississippi, Aslan.

(:>
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    more like an article on "What Not to Do" inspired by the toughest student west of the Mississippi, Aslan.

(:>
    I'll take that. Any publicity is good publicity.