Thread: Critique my form/release

Default Critique my form/release

New to bowling with a thumb. Purchased ball about a month ago. Prior to that was using house balls going thumbless

Using 14 lb Ebonite Cyclone ball

Please check out my video.

I have a hard time staying behind the ball. I do have a wrist support and did bowl with it on but unfortunately do not have video capture of it. Just of me without the wrist support. Still looks like I am not fully behind the ball yet, still a bit on top.

The weight of 14 lb ball may be issue. I have a hard time keeping a locked wrist. Also know my balance leg is up in the air and it should be down. And my swing is not parallel with my head. It is still of to the side.

Thanks

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Everybody will have a different opinion. Here's what I think, right, wrong, or indifferent:

I'd try and give a little more knee bend when sliding. It also looks like you are rotating your upper body during the backswing, which can inadvertently cause you to come around the ball. Also the "drill" you are practicing at the end is going to promote poor timing, your swing and slide timing look way off. There's nothing wrong with doing drills like this, just get yourself enough space so you can mimic a full approach. By only taking a step or two, your arm swing needs to start earlier. If you keep practicing like that your timing will get late.

Again, that's just my opinion, I'm no coach.

Yes, I need to remind myself about knee bend. It's not natural to me so I'll need practice to get it more ingrained.

I am rotating my upper body and it is by design. I don't keep my shoulders square to the lane. Is this something I should do? I know it was always taught in the past but these days many bowlers don't keep them square.

I do understand the drill is not full 4 step process. I should practice it with full approach. Thanks

The biggest issue is the 14 lb ball. Maybe I'm just a weakling but can't get my hands behind and under the ball to get rotation.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Yes, I need to remind myself about knee bend. It's not natural to me so I'll need practice to get it more ingrained.

I am rotating my upper body and it is by design. I don't keep my shoulders square to the lane. Is this something I should do? I know it was always taught in the past but these days many bowlers don't keep them square.

I do understand the drill is not full 4 step process. I should practice it with full approach. Thanks

The biggest issue is the 14 lb ball. Maybe I'm just a weakling but can't get my hands behind and under the ball to get rotation.
    You don't have to have your shoulders square. Just try and keep your upper body more steady. With your upper body rotating that much, people tend to come around the ball more since the arm motion isn't straight.

The more you bowl, the more comfortable you'll get with the weight. My wife actually has the same problem, she recently moved up to a 13lb.

You're also rising/pulling your body up at the release - this will complicate all sorts of things. It's your way of trying to put some mustard on the ball, but unnecessary (especially for rotation/hook, which is about hand position).

It's keeping you off balance at the line, and will make your swing inconsistent. The way I learned to stop doing this is to imagine your head starting at the height it is at address (when you start your approach), and staying put or lowering very slightly) as you get to the line....a straight line, not bobbing up and down (and yours is). Just practice that for a while in your living room over and over. It will force your body to remain in an athletic position, and your arm to do the swinging.

For a new player, timing, ball position (relative to your body) and head position should be 100% of your focus - forget about release until you get those huge building blocks right or you're going to be building on a bad foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    You're also rising/pulling your body up at the release - this will complicate all sorts of things. It's your way of trying to put some mustard on the ball, but unnecessary (especially for rotation/hook, which is about hand position).

It's keeping you off balance at the line, and will make your swing inconsistent. The way I learned to stop doing this is to imagine your head starting at the height it is at address (when you start your approach), and staying put or lowering very slightly) as you get to the line....a straight line, not bobbing up and down (and yours is). Just practice that for a while in your living room over and over. It will force your body to remain in an athletic position, and your arm to do the swinging.

For a new player, timing, ball position (relative to your body) and head position should be 100% of your focus - forget about release until you get those huge building blocks right or you're going to be building on a bad foundation.
    I agree. I'm concentrating on too many things right now. Just went back bowling today and god flustered. It was like I had two left feet. I'm overthinking it by just trying to create hook. But I understand the approach is more important now. Will probably have to get some local coaching.

I don't want or need to be a superstar bowler, just want the fundamentals down with good form, release, and consistent ball placement/reaction