Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a new ball and would like some opinions or thoughts.

Chats: 256

I would certainly give the 4 step approach video by Chris Barnes a look. Your first step is actually ahead of your ball moving and puts your timing off. In a 4 step, the ball and your right foot start and move the same distance.

Couldn't tell, are you using your thumb? Wondering if that was cause of you dropping the ball.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I do use my thumb, but the ball i'm using isn't fitted to my hand what so ever and its just a little bit awkward to hold it. So it just sorta slipped a bit there. I will though tomorrow since i'm apparently heading back to the lane see about adjusting my movements, I can see how that would make things more consistent, possibly also increase my ball speed a little.

I wound up getting a Brunswick Ringer after speaking with the pro guy, he said it probably the most i'd want to go with my hook, but he thought once the ball fit my hand better, I should be able to control it more and it should do me good. We shall see, he said he should have it there tomorrow. Didn't really say what time though so I might not end up getting it till friday we'll see. Nothing else he said if drilling for the fingertip ball gave me a lot of troubles he would redrill it for me till he got me sorted out. So thats promising. Have to say little bit excited, be the first time i've had my own ball after all, curious how much of a difference it can make.

Today while shooting I still only shot high 120's low 130's for the 5 games, was consistent if nothing else. Each game I was usually hitting pocket or near pocket 70 percent of the time I figure that'll get better with more practice, I do really suck at picking up the 10 pin, my ball always falls off in the gutter early or hooks away from it. Its just that one pin that doesn't like me much and to be honest he's my least favorite pin too lol. I also miss a lot of really close 1 or 2 pin balls where I'm either inches away or in pairs i'll knock one over but graze it so barely that it just slips directly to the left rather than bouncing into the one behind it. Thats just an accuracy thing though and I will improve before the league starts I'm sure.

Chats: 32

Well having a ball that fits will make a world of difference. I think the reason you actually start early with your swing is the upward movement at the start try pushing the ball straight out and not upward with your first step

I'm glad that you got a ball that will fit correctly. That will also allow you to learn some proper technique. because you won't be "favoring" one finger, or a thumb, or whatever to maintain control of the ball on your hand. It also affects your balance if you're worried about dropping the ball or not being able to let it go. Honestly- you're not that far off. That Barnes video is good. Timing is very important.

Don't worry about revs, work on building a repeatable swing. Everyone has a different style, and everyone is best with theirs. You might want to see about a few coaching sessions where someone can help you get your style (since it seems like this is the one ingrained into your mind from a young age) on the correct path. If Belmo proves anything, it is that ANY style can score, if it is repeatable, and if the owner of that swing is comfortable with it. I would work on that- gaining a repeatable swing that you can work without even thinking about it.

Then work on your 10-pins.

Here is a great spare shooting/10-pin video.

Last edited by JoeInPI; 02-20-2015 at 12:55 AM.

So today, I was finally able to throw my new ball, and let me say.. It is far far far more comfortable than the ball before its a heavier ball and it really doesn't feel like it. So starting off I took a few games just to get a feel for how the ball reacted. Not really throwing for a score just trying to get a feel for the new finger tip setup and get zoned in on the new break point and all. I'm still letting go a hair early sometimes, I really need to work on my approach a bit, but one thing at a time I suppose. I did eventually get to where I was comfortable though and my average went up from my usual 120's to a 146, and would have been higher cept the 3rd game there was a lot of outside distraction. A new group came in beside us and they were just really really loud and carrying on the entire time. Sorta threw me off a bit.

X- 8/ 7/ 8- 8- 9/ X X 16 X6/ = 156

81 9/ 5/ 9/ 72 5/ 7/ X 63 9/9 =153

9- 9/ X 6- 5/ S71 X 8- 8- X 9/ =130

Was how it scored for the set, Thats something I've never done before, I've never hit back to back 150's, sometimes I'd get up there but the next game would always drop way down. So I see this as a very good positive result. I did make a few mistakes, got a bit too close to the right edge and fell in a few times which shouldn't have happened but I just lost focus is all those shots. They were the type where you throw it and you say to yourself wtf was I doing there? Sorta how the 9th frame was going for me, I think t hat too was in my head, I always think, man I really need to close this 9th frame, then I mess up... All those 8' and 9' opens were on that 10 side.. Man that 10 pin is by far my nemesis pin. But I'ma sort that out and he'll be my --censored-- one of these days lol. But all in all I was making my spares other than that right side. I kept hooking around it or guttering right before it, Few times lol, I tried to throw it so it'd straighten up bout mid way, that too failed a bit, but I'm getting closer I think to sorting out that right hand side. Next week that'll be my focus. Get that 10 pin. I'm even gonna take a day or half day and just throw at the 10 pin even if the rest are there. Even if it hits before it'll be good practice for me I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPI View Post
    Don't worry about revs, work on building a repeatable swing. Everyone has a different style, and everyone is best with theirs. You might want to see about a few coaching sessions where someone can help you get your style (since it seems like this is the one ingrained into your mind from a young age) on the correct path. If Belmo proves anything, it is that ANY style can score, if it is repeatable, and if the owner of that swing is comfortable with it. I would work on that- gaining a repeatable swing that you can work without even thinking about it.
    I think thats the case with me, its kinda just part of my game, On the other forum I get a bunch of these, you need to learn how to rethrow sorts of messages. I've just been ignoring them. Mean don't get me wrong I get what they're saying, but at the same time, I feel its best to do what comes naturally and work with your natural movements, even if they might not be ""technically"" correct, if thats whats working and its purely an accuracy issue, I should probably stick to the gun and just get better sights. Mean I've been back in the game for 3 maybe 4 weeks, my first week i was bowling crap, barely 100 or so, then I got it up to 110's then 120' / 130's here and there. Then with the new ball I'm up to 146 probably closer to 150 without the major distractions. There's improvement. Long as I can keep improving I think my perhaps unorthodox style will be just fine. Maybe if I do taper out, and can't push past something see about changing things up, but I decided that I'm going to at least run with what i'm doing till I get to that point. I do need to work on my approach I know that, and those 10 pins, but progress is progress, long as I keep progressing, I should be good and ready by the time summer league starts which really is the goal.

Chats: 32

Glad to hear you are happy with the new ball
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Glad to hear you are happy with the new ball

Thank ya, I do really need to still work on a few things, gotta try that towel idea where ya put it on the line to try and make sure you throw over it. Cause for some reason I want to let go early, no clue why. Maybe I use to do it in the past not sure. I do know my approach needs work, then the pesky 10 pin... But all in all much better than the old one. Just gotta keep at it and I should be good to go come league.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingJoe View Post
    Thank ya, I do really need to still work on a few things, gotta try that towel idea where ya put it on the line to try and make sure you throw over it. Cause for some reason I want to let go early, no clue why. Maybe I use to do it in the past not sure. I do know my approach needs work, then the pesky 10 pin... But all in all much better than the old one. Just gotta keep at it and I should be good to go come league.
    My problem's just the opposite -- too much loft. Finally figured out that I'm gripping the ball with my thumb. Having PSO take a look at my pitches...

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    My problem's just the opposite -- too much loft. Finally figured out that I'm gripping the ball with my thumb. Having PSO take a look at my pitches...
    Yeah complete opposite then, cause I barely use my thumb, its just a guide, but even then its not really that I can't hang onto the ball for some reason I just like letting go when I get to that flat point. Its just something I have to work on. I'm just really happy that I hit 150's back to back, first time I've ever accomplished that. Its a well milestone if not a small one, I figure every 50 pins should be. So next step is the mighty 200, then 250, then I'd just be happy if I hit a 300 before all my hair falls out and since none in my family ever went fully bald I have time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast