Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember the days

Default Remember the days

When you could buy bowling balls at Sears and K-Mart, K-Mart even drilled them for you while Sears sent them out after taking a few measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by FireCapt782 View Post
    When you could buy bowling balls at Sears and K-Mart, K-Mart even drilled them for you while Sears sent them out after taking a few measurements.
    I do remember when they sold balls and even would drill them for you. I never purchased one at those places but thought it was cool that they had the service.

I think Sears still sells bowling equipment online... I remember seeing it on their website not too long ago.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Sourtower View Post
    I think Sears still sells bowling equipment online... I remember seeing it on their website not too long ago.
    Yeah but did you look at the prices on some of their bowling balls
    that they sell talk about sticker shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Storm Storm Marvel price $280.81
    A Brunswick Brunswick TZone price $81.06
    A Brunswick Brunswick Nexxxus f (P+S) price $287.86
    A Maxim Ebonite Maxim price $92.81
    A Hammer Black Widow Assassin price $212.66

I guess the shipping is extra then you have to pay to have it
    drilled I can buy 2 balls for what the want for 1 ball there.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Yeah but did you look at the prices on some of their bowling balls
    that they sell talk about sticker shock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Storm Storm Marvel price $280.81
    A Brunswick Brunswick TZone price $81.06
    A Brunswick Brunswick Nexxxus f (P+S) price $287.86
    A Maxim Ebonite Maxim price $92.81
    A Hammer Black Widow Assassin price $212.66

I guess the shipping is extra then you have to pay to have it
    drilled I can buy 2 balls for what the want for 1 ball there.
    Yeah, it's no wonder they no longer sell bowling equipment in stores. Nobody in their right mind would buy stuff for those prices.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Can not say I remember those days. I know Dick's Sporting Goods still sell bowling equipment in store but it is a very VERY small selection.
    Just call me Twisted
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I got my first bowling ball from a local sporting goods store. Ball ( Ebonite signiture ), bag and shoes came to about $60+tax. The owners eventually gave up general sporting goods and opened a new store specializing in fishing gear.
    John

Chats: 0

I think the internet really changed all of that (insert DUH! here). But what I mean is that you can find a website that specializes in anything. Bowling, fishing, golf, underwater basket weaving, etc. So the general stores don't benefit or profit from carrying that niche stuff anymore. Before when people actually had to go places to buy stuff, it made sense.

Chats: 0

I bought my very first bowling ball -- measured and drilled -- at JC Penney. It was grey/white plastic. That was either 1979 or '80. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I bought a bag and a wrist brace too. Finally tossed the (now mildewed) bag last summer... I don't remember what happened to the ball, though; I kept my "new" AMF S3D Classic in the bag.

Wow, never knew Sears or Kmart ever sold bowling balls. These days it seems the ONLY places locally to get anything bowling related (balls, bags, tape, shoes, etc) is at the pro shops.

Sports Authority or Dicks doesn't even carry bowling shoes locally (only online)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast