Thread: I'm a bit confused about tournament participation...

Default I'm a bit confused about tournament participation...

I've been Googling around, and I'm still confused about this.

For tournaments, are there "individual" tournaments? Because what we see on TV is essentially a "stepladder" tournament.

Do you have to be in a league to bowl in a tournament?

What about USBC-sanctioned tournaments? Do you have to be in a league to bowl in those?

I'm asking primarily out of curiosity, but if I get to a point where I get "better" equipment I might consider bowling in a local/area tournament or two, just to see how I can do...

Could someone explain this to me?

Bowler
    Chats: 0

There is definitely individual tournaments. While you don't have to be in a league, establishing your average in a league is a good first step. Most handicap tournaments will look up your average to calculate handicap, if you don't have one established through league, you get a predefined handicap, which may or may not hurt your final score.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    I've been Googling around, and I'm still confused about this.
    For tournaments, are there "individual" tournaments? Because what we see on TV is essentially a "stepladder" tournament.
    Yes, In fact most tournament's are "individual" or singles, The "stepladder" your talking about are usually the final part of a singles tournament. Once they make the cut to the final few bowlers, they use a stepladder format to find the winner.

Do you have to be in a league to bowl in a tournament?
    No, Unless it's a closed tournament for league bowlers only.

What about USBC-sanctioned tournaments? Do you have to be in a league to bowl in those?
    No, not necessarily. Sanctioned tournaments just mean you have to have a sanction card
    and you can get a unattached card and not be in a league.

Being in a league helps though, because then you will then have a sanctioned average that they can use for handicapping or placing you in a division etc.. If you don't have a sanctioned average, then you have to use whatever the entering averages the rules state for that tournament say. A lot of times you bowl scratch or get very little handicap.

I'm asking primarily out of curiosity, but if I get to a point where I get "better" equipment I might consider bowling in a local/area tournament or two, just to see how I can do...

Could someone explain this to me?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 02-21-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks, guys! That definitely clears things up.