Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Good Spare Shooter" = winning?

Chats: 204

Chris Barnes once said (and I'm paraphrasing):

Spares won't win you tournaments; but not making spares will lose you tournaments.

And thats 110% true.

These days…if you don't run strikes together you simply can't win. The equipment is too strong, the lane conditions too easy, and the rev rates too high. On the flip side…the biggest difference I see between LEGITIMATE contenders and the multitude of wannabes? Single-pin spare shooting. I've seen SO many guys that can strike like Belmo (not quite)…but they pick up 40% of their single-pin spares.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Aslan:

I get what you're saying. I think I'm a fairly good single-pin spare converter. Maybe I should start tracking my percentage. I'd guess it's in the 75-85% range. That's just a guess.

For some reason, I've started having trouble with corner pins (I'm left-handed), particularly the 7, and I'm not sure why.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Pick up your spares the strikes will come!!

I used to be deadly with my tens pins. This year, I've lost it. I think I'm something like 1/8 my last two weeks. Why does this happen??
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    I used to be deadly with my tens pins. This year, I've lost it. I think I'm something like 1/8 my last two weeks. Why does this happen??
    Focus, bubba-san. Focus.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 32

It get's in your head I don't know why but if I miss one I'm going to miss at least one more that night. If you get on a down streak with them I've found changing some thing very small a board where I stand or aim helps.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It get's in your head I don't know why but if I miss one I'm going to miss at least one more that night. If you get on a down streak with them I've found changing some thing very small a board where I stand or aim helps.
    Yes, I agree Amyers. I've debated about moving 1-2 boards to the left. Funny thing is it's not one way I'm missing. Two will be to the left, the next two will be in the gutter.

I know, vdub is spot on with the "focus" part. Problem is more I focus the harder I try. My last three series have been 582 574 581. It's not hard to figure out what I should of rolled if I could consistantly make the 10 pin.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 32

Yes, I agree Amyers. I've debated about moving 1-2 boards to the left. Funny thing is it's not one way I'm missing. Two will be to the left, the next two will be in the gutter.

I know, vdub is spot on with the "focus" part. Problem is more I focus the harder I try. My last three series have been 582 574 581. It's not hard to figure out what I should of rolled if I could consistantly make the 10 pin.
    The board movement is more to do with just changing something to give you a different look at it than actually necessary for targeting. It's always more in your head than anywhere at least if your like me. Sometimes that just helps me feel like I'm doing something about it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

Also, if you subscribe to Bowling This Month, Susie Minshew has an article that was posted recently about shooting single pin spares. When I had my lesson with her last summer, she mentioned to me exactly what is in the article.

Essentially is to not think about just shooting at the 10 pin, think of shooting at the 6-10. Shoot at 2 pins rather than one:

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Minshew
    Let’s take commonly makeable spares like the 6/10 or the 4/7. Occasionally you get to a place where you feel like you’ve never shot it before or worse, experience one of those times when you feel like you could chop it all day long (unless you tried to chop it, of course). And that is the first of the two helpers for this dis-ease at shooting the spare.

If you‘ve been chopping a spare, I dare you to do it on purpose. That’s right. Go ahead and pick the 10 off or leave it standing there while you cherry pick the 6. Pretty tough, huh?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

I had the same issue the last couple months and it turned out to be timing related. You might want to find a pro to evaluate your timing. If you miss on the same side every time...then it's an allignment issue. If you miss on both sides randomly...it's probably timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    For some reason, I've started having trouble with corner pins (I'm left-handed), particularly the 7, and I'm not sure why.
    Your question is it's own answer. A lefty is supposed to leave and struggle with 7-pins...just like a righty is supposed to leave and struggle with 10-pins. I once had a short conversation with Barry Asher and it went:

Barry: "How are things going?"
    Me: "I'm struggling with the 10-pin."
    Barry: "Don't feel bad, so is everyone else."
    Me: "It's just frustrating because I leave it so dang much."
    Barry: "And the better you get, the more often you'll leave it."

And...he's spot on correct. I used to dread leaving it because I was < 50% at picking it up. NOW...I LOVE leaving it because:
    1) It gives me more practice at making it.
    2) It usually means I hit the pocket.
    3) It usually means I'm only a slight adjustment or ball change away from striking.
    4) It means I DON'T LEAVE a 1-2-8, 1-2-5-8, 1-2-4, 1-2-4-10, or 1-2-10...which are currently the banes of my existence.

Statistics:
    Prior to fixing my allignment issue: 59% on single 10-pins
    After fixing allignment issues: 68% on single 10-pins

Still working on the timing issues though. If I can fix the timing...I'd be surprised to see that number < the high 70s.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast