Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Critique

Quote Originally Posted by white_rabbitt View Post
    Hi guys...
    Just started bowling seriously a few months ago and was hoping to get some thoughts/advice/critique on my game. Would be much appreciated. I'm still pretty much working on all parts of my game. I play down and in and my avg has steadily been increasing but would like to get some feedback.
    This is my first time uploading so let me know if you need any other info. (I wasn't able to get a side view that day)
    These are two separate shots filmed from behind. First is real time and second is slow motion.

Back View
    Back View (slow motion)

Thanks!
    I think your timing looks very good. Maybe cut down the amount you crossover on the first step. Having said that though, you really need to drift a little to get your hips out of the way in order to project the ball to the left for a left hander and vice versa. Your swing plain is a little farther behind your back than what is recommended but the good thing is with that swing it is tough to pull shots. Your balance looks good and i'm not sure why you would change your push away if you are posting shots like that. Looks good though man, get a good coach and you will progress rather quickly. Good luck to you.

Start with developing good footwork....taking effective steps is the foundation for consistent transportation to the foul line....the easiest way to get a good walking pattern is to 1) step to the center of your body each step including your sliding step.....by overlapping each step you are effectively walking a line under the center of your body which promotes good balance....think of a tightrope acrobat walking the high wire or a gymnast walking the balance beam....2) each step should be close to the same distance and at the same tempo each time you bowl....count cadence silently to train yourself to walk at a steady pace, not too slowly or not too briskly.....3) when you walk and swing the ball, you will pick up speed gradually to help you propel the ball down the lane so no need to rush....

good footwork leads to good accuracy....walk a straight line, step at a good tempo and take evenly spaced steps with your slide step being the longest....retain good knee flex throughout the approach.....once you have good footwork and good posture, you can work on timing, swing, and release techniques to build a solid game....hope this helps....

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    I think your timing looks very good. Maybe cut down the amount you crossover on the first step. Having said that though, you really need to drift a little to get your hips out of the way in order to project the ball to the left for a left hander and vice versa. Your swing plain is a little farther behind your back than what is recommended but the good thing is with that swing it is tough to pull shots. Your balance looks good and i'm not sure why you would change your push away if you are posting shots like that. Looks good though man, get a good coach and you will progress rather quickly. Good luck to you.
    Thanks for the input! First step crossover seems to be the theme. I'll try working on the cross-over and not going so far right with it and see how that does. Yeah, I'm comfortable w/ the drift as long as it is consistent each shot.
    I didn't realize how far behind my back my backswing was until I saw these videos. I do like the confidence it gives me that I probably won't pull it though. (If I do pull it, I know it's probably because I got a bit early w/ my swing)
    I would love to get some time w/ a coach...I had a mini-lesson w/ my PSO when I got my Hyper Cell drilled and that quick lesson + the new ball instantly raised my average by 20+ pins! (consistently averaging 170+ now)

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Start with developing good footwork....taking effective steps is the foundation for consistent transportation to the foul line....the easiest way to get a good walking pattern is to 1) step to the center of your body each step including your sliding step.....by overlapping each step you are effectively walking a line under the center of your body which promotes good balance....think of a tightrope acrobat walking the high wire or a gymnast walking the balance beam....2) each step should be close to the same distance and at the same tempo each time you bowl....count cadence silently to train yourself to walk at a steady pace, not too slowly or not too briskly.....3) when you walk and swing the ball, you will pick up speed gradually to help you propel the ball down the lane so no need to rush....

good footwork leads to good accuracy....walk a straight line, step at a good tempo and take evenly spaced steps with your slide step being the longest....retain good knee flex throughout the approach.....once you have good footwork and good posture, you can work on timing, swing, and release techniques to build a solid game....hope this helps....
    Thanks rico! Yes, I'm onboard w/ that. Footwork is and will be one of my main focuses. Aside from my 1st step, I noticed from seeing the video (and from feel) that my other steps are inconsistent in tempo and length...especially my 2nd step. It tends to get short and choppy.

Good to hear that the things you guys mention are what I am mainly focusing on right now...footwork/push-away, maintaining posture (shoulder angle direction and height), and finish position (posting shots)
    Curr. League Avg: 203
    High Game/Series: 279/705
    Arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (15#), Storm IQ Tour Nano (15#), Storm Mix (15#)
    PAP: 3 5/8" - 1/2" --- I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 0

You're working on a good foundation, looks great for a new bowler - I have seen so much worse.

The only thing (other than the huge crossover step) that sticks out is how much you're breaking the swing plane on your backswing - bringing it way back behind your back - that's a consistency killer. It isn't needed to "rev-up" the ball - that's dictated by your hand position and release. Try bringing that arm straight back, and keeping your hand behind the ball the entire time (imagine pointing the inside of your elbow down the lane throughout your swing).

It will also create a stronger roll downlane - looks to me like you're still not out of the hook-phase at the pin deck.

Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    You're working on a good foundation, looks great for a new bowler - I have seen so much worse.

The only thing (other than the huge crossover step) that sticks out is how much you're breaking the swing plane on your backswing - bringing it way back behind your back - that's a consistency killer. It isn't needed to "rev-up" the ball - that's dictated by your hand position and release. Try bringing that arm straight back, and keeping your hand behind the ball the entire time (imagine pointing the inside of your elbow down the lane throughout your swing).

It will also create a stronger roll downlane - looks to me like you're still not out of the hook-phase at the pin deck.
    Thanks for the feedback swingset!

Those were actually the 2 things I worked on the other night at league and they seemed to help...especially with consistency. Hitting my mark and was hitting the pocket a very high percentage of the time.

Came to another realization that night as well and it had nothing to do w/ the physical game. Ball maintenance. I wipe my ball off after almost every shot and clean it after every session. However, with the Hyper Cell, it just soaks up the oil and after just over 70 games with it, I am noticing a considerable amount in change of reaction. I was aware that this would occur but not to this extent. Will be resurfacing/rejuvenating ASAP!

Chats: 32

Thanks for the feedback swingset!

Those were actually the 2 things I worked on the other night at league and they seemed to help...especially with consistency. Hitting my mark and was hitting the pocket a very high percentage of the time.

Came to another realization that night as well and it had nothing to do w/ the physical game. Ball maintenance. I wipe my ball off after almost every shot and clean it after every session. However, with the Hyper Cell, it just soaks up the oil and after just over 70 games with it, I am noticing a considerable amount in change of reaction. I was aware that this would occur but not to this extent. Will be resurfacing/rejuvenating ASAP!
    With balls that tend to draw more oil like the Hyper Cell and my Asylum I've found the following regimen works well. Wipe after every shot, clean after every set with ball cleaner, clean with Storm's Clean and Dull every third set, have them hit it on the spinner with the final surfacing pad (2000 grit unless you've changed it) every 25 games and a full resurface after about every 50 games. This will keep your ball working consistently all the time.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Amyers...thanks for that maintenance schedule and advice! I'll give it a try. I guess I'll be getting to know my PSO a lot better! I'll be in there every week and a half with that kind of schedule since I bowl about 15 games a week. So what kind of prices are typical for the spinner + pad? For a full resurfacing?
    If I had the means, this makes me want to get a spinner and a ball oven instead of new equipment!

A spinner was the best investment I have ever made in regards to bowling maintenance. Of course you will need abralon pads and polish/cleaners as well. I can't tell you how much this helps one's individual game. You can tinker with so many different surfaces and not spend all your time (and money) in the pro shop. Just make sure to document your changes on each ball. It's easier to forget than you think.
    Last edited by bubba809; 02-27-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 32

Amyers...thanks for that maintenance schedule and advice! I'll give it a try. I guess I'll be getting to know my PSO a lot better! I'll be in there every week and a half with that kind of schedule since I bowl about 15 games a week. So what kind of prices are typical for the spinner + pad? For a full resurfacing?
    If I had the means, this makes me want to get a spinner and a ball oven instead of new equipment!
    I'm pretty lucky my PSO doesn't charge a huge amount. usually he doesn't charge me to just hit it with the pad after 25 games. He charges $25 for a full resurface. A spinner runs $200-250 and pads are about $8-10 a piece if you want to do it yourself. I'll eventually buy one just haven't yet. Some people swear by baking the balls I've got about 500 games on the Asylum and with this maintenance schedule I've never felt the need to bake it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I'm pretty lucky my PSO doesn't charge a huge amount. usually he doesn't charge me to just hit it with the pad after 25 games. He charges $25 for a full resurface. A spinner runs $200-250 and pads are about $8-10 a piece if you want to do it yourself. I'll eventually buy one just haven't yet. Some people swear by baking the balls I've got about 500 games on the Asylum and with this maintenance schedule I've never felt the need to bake it.
    That's a pretty good deal! Especially the free polish/scuff you get! So what exactly do they do at your shop for a full resurface?
    If you take the amount of money you've spent resurfacing just your Asylum, you could probably buy the necessary machine yourself! 500 games / 50 = 10 resurfaces. 10 * $25 = $250...that'll get you a spinner and maybe some pads! (just have to come up w/ $250 all at once somehow! lol)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast