Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Lessons are a good idea but I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon yet. See what you can learn from Youtube and here.

Honestly there are a lot of videos out there on everything that was posted on this thread. Norm Duke has some good videos on Youtube. It's a short series on everything from approach to release. Very informative.

Once you get the basics down go and start practicing. If you're not getting the hang of it than yes get a coach.

Because if you go in with a coach to start with and tell them you no absolutely nothing about the how and where to stand you are going to use your first few lessons on just the basics that I believe can be learned watching videos. You want to build a foundation first and than have a coach work with what you are doing wrong. That way you're spending $50 coaching lessons on intermediate stuff rather than entry level beginner techniques.

That's my thought at least.
    The difference is you watch a video and go out and try to replicate and no one is watching. You might think you are duplicating it but you may not be. Coaching at the very beginning if you are serious about learning and can afford it is wise. When you start getting the HANG OF IT on your own and think you know what your doing you may be in reality imbedding bad habits that have to be thrown out when you do see a coach. Those statements are in reference to someone who thinks they might want to get serious about the game. If you want to go out hurl it and don't care about the serious side then by all means go out and do your thing. As long as you keep coming back.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 03-19-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    The difference is you watch a video and go out and try to replicate and no one is watching. You might think you are duplicating it but you may not be. Coaching at the very beginning if you are serious about learning and can afford it is wise. When you start getting the HANG OF IT on your own and think you know what your doing you may be in reality imbedding bad habits that have to be thrown out when you do see a coach. Those statements are in reference to someone who thinks they might want to get serious about the game. If you want to go out hurl it and don't care about the serious side then by all means go out and do your thing. As long as you keep coming back.
    This is great advice. Qualified coaching early will get you going in the proper direction, and that's a whole lot easier than trying to fix bad habits later.

Gotta agree with getting a coach and having them watch you. I got a coach from the very beginning and he came in with a camera and everything and pointed out several flaws. I had watched hours of youtube before but once you're out there by yourself it's extremely hard to know how you messed up on your approach or release without having the knowledge beforehand of what doing it correctly feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRM View Post
    Gotta agree with getting a coach and having them watch you. I got a coach from the very beginning and he came in with a camera and everything and pointed out several flaws. I had watched hours of youtube before but once you're out there by yourself it's extremely hard to know how you messed up on your approach or release without having the knowledge beforehand of what doing it correctly feels like.
    To paraphrase a quote from a true genius, Peter from Family Guy: " Wait a minute, that's the smartest thing i've ever read anyone write about anything. "
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 03-19-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by sschulte75 View Post
    Any advice for someone who is just getting started in bowling? What is the first thing I need to concentrate on doing consistently?
    Stop now before the addiction sets in.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Stop now before the addiction sets in.
    Wonderful advice!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This is great advice. Qualified coaching early will get you going in the proper direction, and that's a whole lot easier than trying to fix bad habits later.
    I think I posted this somewhere else on here, but it's great advice I learned as a kid in the school band:

"Practice doesn't make perfect -- perfect practice makes perfect."

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    I think I posted this somewhere else on here, but it's great advice I learned as a kid in the school band:

"Practice doesn't make perfect -- perfect practice makes perfect."
    That is a chicken and egg problem, in order to have perfect practice, you have to be perfect, which takes practice to achieve.

The saying is more properly said as "Practice makes permanent"

Chats: 204

I'm having a similar problem. My Wednesday night team has a woman that is totally new and throwing a house ball. Normally I don't give advice to anyone unless asked…but last night she seemed very frustrated and it's hard because as a very low level bowler myself…on the one hand I'm not qualified to help her…but on the other hand I'd hate to see someone lose interest in the game because of simple things they are doing wrong.

So I tried to help her with just the very, very basic things like "have a starting "spot" and how to adjust (3-6-9) for spares and to relax. Anything beyond that and I'd be outside of my comfort zone in terms of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    That is a chicken and egg problem, in order to have perfect practice, you have to be perfect, which takes practice to achieve.

The saying is more properly said as "Practice makes permanent"
    I like that! But, yet, when one practices, one hopes to do more than make the good stuff permanent -- one also hopes to improve the bad stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast