Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Bowler

Default Beginning Bowler

Any advice for someone who is just getting started in bowling? What is the first thing I need to concentrate on doing consistently?

I'm very much a beginner bowler myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I hired a coach for a 30 minute lesson when I had no previous experience with bowling besides maybe 1 or 2 games. The main points he had me work on were.

Getting a 4 step approach down. When I first arrived for the lesson, I didn't know the correct distance to stand back from the foul line so quite a few times I had to end on a third step which made my throws very poor. Just kept moving back until I got the full 4 steps in, also keeping knees lightly bent, no locking of joints at the start.

Using your non-throwing arm as a balance arm. I had a tendency to keep it down which messed with my balance. This one I'm still working on so I can't comment a whole lot.

Correct standing position in regards to left/right. I never paid attention to it in the couple games I played but it made a huge difference. Just starting out he had me start with whatever foot I had forward (my left since I was throwing right-handed) on the center board. Aiming to throw the ball around the 2nd arrow from the right on the lane.

Pushing out the ball on your first step forward. I had problems not pushing out the ball all the way so my downsing wasn't very smooth. So I worked on making sure when I extended the ball out from myself that I made sure it was a full extension so gravity could work with the rest.

At this point I haven't really worked a whole lot on the release or anything, only trying my best not to grip the ball and do the hand-shake motion when releasing. Getting down the basic setups first is my main goal with working on the release when I feel comfortable I'm getting the same setup each time.

Of course this is from someone that has almost 0 experience in bowling, so whenever someone else chimes in and might contradict what I say then they're probably correct.

Most important thing he told me at the end of the lesson was.

Have fun, it's the most important aspect of it starting out. If you go in super serious expecting to get it all down fast, you're going to get frustrated. Just go out and have fun.

Check your local bowling center for free bowling clinics. Two centers in my area offer these free clinics .

Chats: 10

Have a short memory! When things go wrong and seem nothing is going right, forget about it! Start fresh with each shot!

READY-SET-SLOW on your approach. Don't rush, go when you are ready!

Consistency is key! Once you can consistently hit your mark and do things without thinking too much, you will I prove!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Thanks everyone for the advice, I am working on it and improving....SLOWLY

Ringer
    Chats: 0

My advice would be to get your timing right--as Blomer suggested. If you have good timing, you can perfect your crossover step, arm swing, slide, etc. Good timing is the key to developing a consistent shot, IMO.

You don't have to run up to the line, but you don't have to be a "Sunday Driver" either. Think of a metronome--take deliberately, consistently-timed steps toward your release.

If your timing is bad/off, it won't matter if you have the best swing or release in the world. You'll either be yanking the ball, or leaving it out.

The cliche advice of it all is: Practice not until you get it right, but until you can't get it wrong. At that point, you'll have muscle memory, and the game will become much easier.

Chats: 0

A coach is a real good idea, because a coach can tell you what you're doing both wrong and right, and as jab said, you want to build good muscle memory. Remember: practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice your mistakes, you'll learn them thoroughly.

The best advice honestly is to get some lessons.
    Just call me Twisted
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

My husband is helping me, he is an excellent bowler. I'm improving just not as quickly as I would like to be. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jnv32185 View Post
    The best advice honestly is to get some lessons.
    Lessons are a good idea but I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon yet. See what you can learn from Youtube and here.

Honestly there are a lot of videos out there on everything that was posted on this thread. Norm Duke has some good videos on Youtube. It's a short series on everything from approach to release. Very informative.

Once you get the basics down go and start practicing. If you're not getting the hang of it than yes get a coach.

Because if you go in with a coach to start with and tell them you no absolutely nothing about the how and where to stand you are going to use your first few lessons on just the basics that I believe can be learned watching videos. You want to build a foundation first and than have a coach work with what you are doing wrong. That way you're spending $50 coaching lessons on intermediate stuff rather than entry level beginner techniques.

That's my thought at least.
    Last edited by NewToBowling; 03-19-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast