Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Am Tournaments

Default Pro-Am Tournaments

I was wondering if anyone can fill me in.

A long time ago I went to a Pro-Am Tournament at a alley down where the rest of my family lives. Since then I haven't seen the same tournament happen there since. I looked up on the PBA website to see if there were any coming up and there was only one listed many states over. Does the PBA still put on these events and if so how can I find one close to me?

Chats: 256

Typically every PBA national event has a Pro-Am portion of the weekend. It is typically the day before qualifying games begin. As you mentioned, you already looked on the PBA site to see their calendar of events, if there are none near you, will just have to wait until the PBA comes back to your area.

But, you can also look at PBA Regional events that might be closer. They sometimes also do a Pro-Am event. Those will likely be closer to you than the national tour.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 4

As vdubtx said your best bet is to check out the PBA regional
    tournaments http://www.pba.com/Tours/Regional/ for info on
    Pro-Ams.

I don't know for sure how things work now days on the Pro-Am
    part but back years ago when I was trying my hand out on the
    regional PBA tour there was always a Pro-Am on Friday night and
    sometimes even on Saturday nights if there were enough entries.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Thanks guys I appreciate the help I'll have to look into it! Would really love to find another one to bowl sometime

Chats: 0

I miss Pro-Ams. I miss the tournaments that used to be here. Maybe someday they'll come back. I need to pay more attention to the Regional calendar. I missed one that was 20 miles from my home.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

There is a Pro-Am every year at my home center. It usually features regional pros as well as touring pros. Last year the touring pros included Parker Bohn III, Kelly Kulick, Bill O'Neill, and Ryan Ciminelli. Danny Wiseman and Doug Kent were also there, plus 20 or so regional pros. It is a fun event in that it is no-tap format. They haven't announced the line-up yet for this year's tournament, but the Pro-Am is scheduled for June 6th so the schedule should be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaJefferson View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can fill me in.

A long time ago I went to a Pro-Am Tournament at a alley down where the rest of my family lives. Since then I haven't seen the same tournament happen there since. I looked up on the PBA website to see if there were any coming up and there was only one listed many states over. Does the PBA still put on these events and if so how can I find one close to me?
    Not only national events but most all regionals have a pro-am as well.

Chats: 204

I just did my first two Pro-Ams this weekend. It was quite an experience.

On Friday I did a charity Pro-Am on the PBA Chamelion pattern. I shot a 161 straight up in Game 1. Then I didn't keep track of the scores because it was just no-tap so the scores are generally useless. I think I ended with a 190s game though.

Before that I did my first ball demo. That didn't go so well because I wanted to try the N'Sane Antics and they didn't have that one. So I tried the Track HX, and was actually kinda impressed. But then I tried the Track LX and wasn't hitting with much power/energy. Then I tried the Hammer Bad Intentions and it was 'okay'.

Most of the guys I bowled with were West Regional players and not big names But I did get to bowl with Missy Parkin and Sean Rash. I was kinda starstruck with the whole experience so I didn't say too much. My daughter was there with my parents and she was supposed to take some pictures of me with the pros…but she just took a couple pictures of me. The seats for spectators were virtually on top of you so Rash was talking and joking with my daughter. She "says" that she thinks that guy was 'weird' but she says it with a smile that makes me thinks she sort of has a crush on him. Rash is quite the character. But everyone was super friendly. Ty Dawson gave me some tips which was cool. I didn't bowl too well. I had 45% strike rate but I bet half of those were brooklyn. And my Spare shooting was just abysmal. But, on the PBA Chamelion pattern, I guess a 161 isn't horrible.

Then today I went to a Pro-AM surrounding the PBA50 Fountain Bowl upcoming tournament. Now THIS one…I got floored EARLY. First bowler to bowl with us was Parker Bohn III! I mean, if I coulda picked who, in the entire field, I'd like to bowl with…it would have been Parker. My 3rd favorite bowler alive! I also had a familiar face because on the same pair was a guy I've bowled against in the OC BVL the last 2 years. So he and I talked a bit which helped calm me down being right there next to Parker.

But, despite the nerves, that was a lot of fun. I bowled with Parker Bohn III, Johnny Petraglia, Jack Jurek, John Burkett, Tom Carter, and Bryan Goebel. They were all really nice…just like the folks Friday. I didn't really get any 'tips', but that was partly due to me performing much better. I bowled a 183-232-232…no tap…so we'll see if I can make the top 10 with a 809 handicap (no-tap). My form was good, the pattern was easier than Friday, and in some shots I was hitting the pins even better than the pros.

Bowling is a strange sport because in most sports…you really have no access to the athletes. You have to stand in line to get autographs during some 2-hour time slot at a card show, or catch them during batting practice, or pay to get into some meet and greet. But in bowling…the athletes are in the bathroom next to you or standing in line at the snack bar or just walking around.

For today, I tried to think of an interesting topic to ask each pro about…kinda like an interview…but spread out over 6 bowlers:

PBIII:
    Parker, in addition to talking about his strategy and how him being a left hand player dictates how to play the lane.
    But I asked him; "Whats the biggest difference between the national tour and the PBA50?"
    Response: Speed.

I was surprised because I thought it would be knee bend…but he explained it and it was interesting to get his take on that.

Johnny Petraglia:
    I didn't really ask Johnny a question…I just told him I enjoyed watching the Johnny Petraglia BVL Open even on the internet and his interview he did with the XTraFrame guys.

Bryan Goebel:
    I didn't ask him any questions either. He was really nice and talkative though and probably had the best ball reaction of anyone that I bowled with.

Jack Jurek:
    I HAD to ask him….I knew as soon as he came over that I HAD to ask him…about my favorite bowling moment…when Walter Ray beat him last season at the Senior Masters with that unusual strike in the 10th. If you didn't see it….WRW needed a strike to win and came in light leaving 3 pins…but one fell forwards…then a 2nd fell…and that would have resulted in a tie/rolloff…but THAT pin barely fell forward and hit the last pin giving him (WRW) the strike and Masters title.

Me: "What was going through your head as that was unfolding?"
    Response: He said he kind've just assumed WRW would get the strike because "he's Walter Ray and thats what Water Ray does" and he was actually not looking. But, he was sitting near a Storm ball rep and heard the ball rep say something like "oh my God, he missed it…" and then he (Jack) looked up and watched as the pins collapsed in almost slow motion.

It was really cool because he was actually interested in talking about it…but you could tell he was still a little taken back by that moment. I mean, that was just so surreal to watch your title disappear in less than 1.5 seconds in almost slow motion.

Tom Carter:
    Tom was easily the friendliest bowler I met this weekend. I'm not the experienced interviewer than Ron M. is…but there are some guys that I imagine are easier to interview than others…some are hard to get going…others once you wind them up…you just keep the recorder going. Well, for Tom who I wasn't as familiar with in terms of his career…I asked a more technical question;
    Me: "I noticed you are using a Fortera Exile. I have an Exile sitting undrilled at home…what do you think of that ball?"
    Response: He said it's his favorite ball…he loves it. He was even a little disappointed that balls get 'retired' so quickly because a ball like that might not get much attention and then it's gone…but it's a really good ball.

John Burkett:
    John was on the other side of the scale of Tom Carter. A much tougher interview. He was friendly, but very, very quiet. Since he was a former MLB pitcher;
    Me: "How have your baseball friends reacted to the '2nd career' of bowling?"
    Response: He said they've responded quite well and added that he think some of them wish they could do it too.

That was surprising to me because I was waiting for him to just say "they've been supportive" and leave it at that…especially as quiet as he was.

I stuck around a little bit and got a few autographs from the guys I bowled with. I wish I could go watch the event this week…but this week is super busy between me moving to a new place tomorrow and work stuff this week.

But…Pro-Ams…thumbs UP…lots of fun…and I'm definitely gonna keep my eyes open for Pro Am events in the future.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I just did my first two Pro-Ams this weekend. It was quite an experience.

Most of the guys I bowled with were West Regional players and not big names But I did get to bowl with Missy Parkin and Sean Rash. I was kinda starstruck with the whole experience so I didn't say too much. My daughter was there with my parents and she was supposed to take some pictures of me with the pros…but she just took a couple pictures of me. The seats for spectators were virtually on top of you so Rash was talking and joking with my daughter. She "says" that she thinks that guy was 'weird' but she says it with a smile that makes me thinks she sort of has a crush on him. Rash is quite the character. But everyone was super friendly. Ty Dawson gave me some tips which was cool. I didn't bowl too well. I had 45% strike rate but I bet half of those were brooklyn. And my Spare shooting was just abysmal. But, on the PBA Chamelion pattern, I guess a 161 isn't horrible.
    There is a name from my past..

Ty Dawson, I bowled in league against back in the mid 80's

I remember one odd stat at the end of the season.

The listed the highest series anyone shot, while winning 0 match points.

I did that shooting 680-something, losing all 3 points to Ty Dawson's low-ish 700-something.

He is also only 1 of 3 people I saw shoot league 300 up until 1990.

Chats: 204

I've been so busy moving, I forgot to check the standings. Turns out I was 12th overall; 2nd in my division and managed to win $170. Wow! 809 series (no-tap, w/handicap). Mike White would lodge a complaint that they are still using my 164 average…but hey…thats my book average.

Now I just gotta hope my change of address goes through properly with the post office so I actually get my check.

It's obviously not as prestigious as being the 2-time undefeated champion of the AVZBHMSCI….but still…it's the most I've ever won bowling…and that includes tournaments, poker hands, side pots, etc… Although…in the Citrus Belt BVL I "may" have won more total…when you add in the sidepots and brackets together. I had a good outing that afternoon.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast