Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn?????

Bowler
    Chats: 0

We call them Brooklyn's here in WI. Funny thing about the "Jersey" thing, a guy on our team is a lefty, when he crosses over, he started calling them Jersey strikes, just trying to be funny and out of the blue.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    It's definitely regional. I have a friend who grew up in Penn. who calls them Jersey strikes, here in CT we always called them Brooklyn.
    Ditto. I can vouch for (northeast) PA being "Jersey" country.

Central PA, where I live now, is "Brooklyn" country. These idiots in central PA also think hoagies come without mayo too, so what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by jnv32185 View Post
    I am fascinated by the use of the word Brooklyn for a strike on the opposite side of the headpin. I am not use to it, I do not know if it is because I am from New York but we always called it Jersey.
    Ha! Of course you did!

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Ditto. I can vouch for (northeast) PA being "Jersey" country.

Central PA, where I live now, is "Brooklyn" country. These idiots in central PA also think hoagies come without mayo too, so what gives?
    Same thing with SW Missouri...

Chats: 39

Here in Switzerland they are called either Brooklyn or "left pocket" strikes. Personally I don't get too excited about them since it means I made a mistake and missed, but I'm not going to look down on a newer player for being happy about getting one. A strike is a strike, and getting a strike when you missed is a hell of a lot better than getting punished with a split.
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

You shouldn't be upset or ashamed if you aren't really trying to better yourself. When I'm out just messing around and I throw a Brooklyn, good for me! I just play it off and say "See, I can strike from either side" or something sarcastic/playful.

Now when I'm really trying and I get one, it bothers me. But if I make a mistake and get a strike, so be it. Rather a Brooklyn than a 7-10

A few years ago I crossed with Ernie Schlegel and Kerry Painter at the Sr. U.S. Open. On one particular pair of lanes, the right lane was impossible. I still remember Schlegel laying on his stomach on the approach, looking down the lane. He proclaimed that the lane actually tilted down toward the gutter at the break point. None of us could break 180 on that pair. A couple of months ago I went to practice with a friend and we were assigned that same pair of lanes. Again, the right lane was almost impossible. Finally, at the beginning of the last game, I decided to go to a really aggressive ball and throw it out to see what would happen. The result was a Brooklyn strike where there was no question that all the pins would fall. The next frame on that lane, I did the same thing, albeit this time intentionally. I ended up shooting 268 for that last game with five straight Brooklyn strikes on the right lane. All my friend could say was, "I can't believe that you lined up to intentionally go Jersey." Whatever works!

Chats: 256

When we bowl on Tuesdays, we have a running joke about Brooklyn strikes as we have renamed them after one of our team members who hit a bunch of Brooklyns at a tournament in Tulsa this last fall.

We don't have then often, but seems the other team bowling against us always has their fair share. We scoff at those that get them on the other side.

Like Rob, I have intentionally played the Brooklyn side. Mine was actually at my first visit to Reno for the USBC Open Championships. The last game of the set the lanes were burned and I could not stay off the head pin and subsequently splits. Made an adjustment right to get just bit more past head pin and had 5 in a row ending with a 247 the last game of Singles event. That game actually put me in the cash that year. LOL!
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Im not making my living at bowling. So whatever makes them fall im good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad1721 View Post
    Im not making my living at bowling. So whatever makes them fall im good with it.
    I have a couple of friends from Jersey. What's wrong with Jersey?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast