Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Thumb Question

Chats: 10

Default Dumb Thumb Question

I went in to throw a few games and all of a sudden for no reason at all, I was thinking about thumb in or fingers in first. Usually I do fingers in first. I can tell a difference when I stuck my thumb in. What does everyone do? Also, do you stick you thumb all the way in? I tend to stick most of it in but not all of it. Am I weird? Actually I k ow I am but do you stick your thumb in all the way?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 0

Fingers go in first, then bury the thumb in as deep as possible. Too shallow causes me to bend my thumb and hang in the ball.

Most bowlers put the fingers in first, then the thumb. Two notable exceptions, however, on the PBA Tour are Tommy Jones and Ronnie Russell, who choose to put their thumbs in first, followed by the fingers. Do what is comfortable for you, but make sure you do it the same each time.

I was taught "fingers first," because it's the fingers that are ultimately responsible for how you deliver the ball, since they exit the ball last. Not everyone sticks their thumb in all the way, but Forever is probably right -- if you don't, your thumb may tend to "grab" or bend, and hang up.

And there are no dumb questions!!

Chats: 4

I have tried the thumb first a time or two after watching
    Tommy Jones and Ronnie Russell do it but it just doesn't
    work for me I can't hold onto the ball all that good.

I'll just stick with my fingers first and then my thumb and
    put it in as deep as possible.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

My thumb always goes in at the wrong angle/pitch whenever I've tried to put thumb in first and it gets stuck. So I stick w/ the fingers in first.
    Curr. League Avg: 203
    High Game/Series: 279/705
    Arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (15#), Storm IQ Tour Nano (15#), Storm Mix (15#)
    PAP: 3 5/8" - 1/2" --- I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Ringer

I put my fingers in first then my thumb about half way. I also tuck my pinky finger under, does anyone else tucker there finger?

you will not go wrong using the time tested method of placing the fingers in the ball before inserting the thumb all the way down in the hole without bending the thumb at the knuckle joint inside the hole.

Most of the replies here are good ones....there have been players throughout the decades who grip the ball differently - perhaps inserting the thumb before the fingers to get the palm of the hand to lay flat on the ball surface and on the heel of the palm as opposed to more aligned under the index finger joint....depending on your release technique, comfort, and your ability to grip the ball consistently, choose your favorite method and have at it....

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

According to what I've heard and read over the years.

You place the fingers in first and roll the ball back on to your thumb.

Now there is also a old trick to take some off the ball, where you put the thumb in first and then the fingers, (A Good trick for straightening out a shot at the ten pin.)

here's from Ron Clifton:

" If the lanes are really dry, try placing your thumb into the ball first and then your fingers. Think about throwing the ball more with your thumb, keeping your hand open and relaxed as you go through the release. Try to make your follow-through long and low instead of reaching for the sky. "

Experimental Tip # 1: Thumb in First to Reduce Grip Pressure
    Written by Joe Slowinski
    Thursday, 01 February 2007
    Read about an experiment to help reduce your grip pressure. Can you imagine putting your thumb in the ball first? Well, you might be surprised at the results. This can be very effective in playing the extreme outside on short patterns or when you want to create a more consistent reaction.

http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.p...d=83&Itemid=62

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast