Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermediate Technique Question: Ball distance from slide foot during slide?

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    You misunderstood me I was referring to the ball traveling to the right (for a right handed bowler) not the hook back to the pocket. The ball has nothing really to do with at what angle the ball moves to the right
    This is true for the most part but certain balls will have what some refer to as more squirt out of your hand. For instance, my storm iq equipment has a tendency to do this more often than my 900 global break and break down. It can give you the impression that you have missed with your initial angle but in reality it is the weight block coupled with your release that has caused the ball to squirt a little to your right for a right hander or vice versa. Not a problem really and can be very helpful, it just comes down to knowing your equipment as well as your game.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 03-13-2015 at 11:33 PM.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

This makes some sense to me but isn't part of what's creating the angle the opening of the hips and shoulders?
    Good question, hopefully somebody answers it

It would be interesting to see a camera on a lot of the big PBA power players footwork, I'd be very interested to see what board their feet start on, and what board they stop.

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    Good question, hopefully somebody answers it

It would be interesting to see a camera on a lot of the big PBA power players footwork, I'd be very interested to see what board their feet start on, and what board they stop.
    It is entirely creating angle with the hips and shoulders. I routinely bowl league with several PBA national title holders. Without exception, each of them slides into the same board where they started. The problem with accepting that drifting right is O.K. is that it creates the tendency to come over the top to help to get the ball back. That's not to say that some bowlers cannot do it. They can. Most bowlers cannot. The concept of walking straight and creating angle with the hips and shoulders is anything but crap for most bowlers.

Banned
    Chats: 68

This makes some sense to me but isn't part of what's creating the angle the opening of the hips and shoulders?
    Open the hips and shoulders relative to what?

If you want to play a line parallel to the boards, would you square up your hips, and shoulders parallel to the intended path of the ball which is parallel boards.

If you want to cross boards to the right instead, again you square up your hips, and shoulders parallel to the intended path of the ball, which is open relative to the boards.

If you want to pick up a 7 pin, you walk right to left, and your hips, and shoulders are parallel to the intended path of the ball, which is closed relative to the boards.

In each case, you are walking in a straight line, just not necessarily parallel to the boards on the approach.

Chats: 32

Well I decided to work on this last night. My normal setup is way outside the normal discussed here. I'm typically lining up between 30-35 targeting between 13-17 I do drift about 3 boards right. I've known for a while that this wasn't correct but I really haven't been able to change it in the past. I've been working on trying more of a balance beam step on the 2nd and 4th steps and a cross over on the last step for about a month now before that I was just walking normally to the line. I was hoping that with the new approach that this would work better for me than it has in the past. Before when I've attempted to do this it has resulted in one of two outcomes I end up pitching the ball down 7-10 or pulling the ball across my body neither of which worked well.

Last night I started out on 26 sliding on 23 laying the ball down on about 18 crossing the arrow at 15-16 went out to about 12 and made a very little turn into the pocket. I threw this line just to get comfortable the first game finished with a 208. I was amazed that I could get this to work even this well even though I wanted more angle to get the ball out to at least 10 I was amazed that it was working this well.

In the 2nd game I decide to try and open the angle up a little more and see how I did it didn't go well I would end up with one that was what I wanted one that went out to 5 which is DOA in this house and one that went straight down the middle and hit the head pin dead on. Needless to say I tried this for a game and a half and I ended up with a 158 and a 175 for my efforts. If I'm trying to physically control that angle by thinking about it isn't going to work for me at least at this point.

Towards the end of the 3rd game I decided that wasn't going to work and to try moving my feet. In the past when I've done this I've moved left with my feet and I end up back where I started originally and end of experiment. I decided to try moving just a little farther right with my feet so I moved my feet to 24 and was sliding at about 21-22. I'm not sure where the laydown was my video person (wife) had left but I was still crossing the 15-16 area every shot but now the ball was consistently making it out to 9-10-11 area with a nice small move back to the pocket and the result was this game.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...pswwvijb2j.jpg

I'm not sure why moving farther right created more angle but it worked. For what is probably the best game I ever bowled. I've had higher scores but all of my shots were right in the pocket only left two 10 pins and a 8 pin. This may seem an unusual line but this house is old wood lanes outside of ten is dry as all get out and my ball just goes nuts. so you have to play more up the middle which is pretty heavily oiled.
    Last edited by Amyers; 03-18-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12