Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate of Progress

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I thought about him last night when I was bowling. I was trying to get a higher backswing and start with my hand on the inside quarter like he does. But all that did was make me toss it in the gutter because I kept my shoulders open, my timing was messed up, and my hand didn't make it around the ball in time.

Apparently watching a couple slow motion videos of Mike Fagan's release does not = me being able to throw it like Mike Fagan.
    Darn there goes my plan. I guess I'll have to put my PBA membership on hold for a while

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Darn there goes my plan. I guess I'll have to put my PBA membership on hold for a while
    I plan to just bowl vicariously through Chris Barnes on the Tour.

I thought about him last night when I was bowling. I was trying to get a higher backswing and start with my hand on the inside quarter like he does. But all that did was make me toss it in the gutter because I kept my shoulders open, my timing was messed up, and my hand didn't make it around the ball in time.

Apparently watching a couple slow motion videos of Mike Fagan's release does not = me being able to throw it like Mike Fagan.
    Thinking about Michael Fagan, the height of your backswing, or the position of your hand during league is a really bad idea. When you are bowling league, your only thoughts should be about how to knock down the most pins possible. We'll talk tomorrow.

Plus most of the pro's use the modern release. They don't use the handshake position. Their fingers and palms are facing them after release.

I've been watching slow motion videos of Fagan, Barnes, and Rash and don't really know how it's done and don't think I would ever be able to do it myself.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Thinking about Michael Fagan, the height of your backswing, or the position of your hand during league is a really bad idea. When you are bowling league, your only thoughts should be about how to knock down the most pins possible. We'll talk tomorrow.
    Yeah. I found that out by bowling a 123 and 153. So, I kinda stopped doing that and bowled in the 180s for the 3rd game. I'm back to focusing on getting low…relaxed release at the line. I'll work on the monster backswing and hand starting in the inside quadrant in practice or lessons. I thought it would be an easy thing to add…sort of "plug and play"…and that was foolish.

That being said…it was the last game of the season and we are in the middle of a 31-team pack with point money already paid out and sweeps on Saturday…so we really had nothing to play for.

Just give an update, after not improving over the course of the season, I found a coach, old school guy 30 years on the lanes. I was using bent elbow technique, hence I was awful. For the passed month I been seeing him once or twice a week. Initially my scores got even worse, to the point I thought of quitting. Finally this week progress started to happen. Yesterday in practice I bowled 505 in 3 games, today in front of my coach bowled clean game 192. I signed up for summer program at AMF, $30 to bowl 3 games every day all summer, and I been bowling about 4 times a week. My coach preaches grandpa clock pendulum swing and preaches right timing. I hope I continue progressing.

Chats: 1

If you believe that, watch Wes Malot and The British Beefcake - (I can't think of his name, Stuart - something) - They have virtually no swing at all.

Bottom line is to develop your own style. Properly done, it can be very effective.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

A major improvement is not out of the question with hard work. I work as hard as anyone Ive seen for the last year and a half. I started averaging about 130 when i got my first ball. End of first 10 week non sanctioned league i was averaging in 160s.... i subbed and joined a roster at the end of the 2014/15 season and established an official average of 184. I did a quick 7 week non sanctioned league this summer and averaged mid 190s. Tracking my progress threw the summer (bowling 4 or 5 times a week) and im averaging in the 200's.

You get out of it what you put in to it. Good luck man... its hard but you can reach whatever level you want

Quote Originally Posted by GeoLes View Post
    If you believe that, watch Wes Malot and The British Beefcake - (I can't think of his name, Stuart - something) - They have virtually no swing at all.

Bottom line is to develop your own style. Properly done, it can be very effective.
    Stuart Williams, they call him Beef Stu. He and Wes actually bring the ball around shoulder/head height, although they lean forwards more than a lot of other guys I think, which would make it seem a bit higher.

Stuart's style does look similar to Wes Malott, although his release and follow through are different. Wes's follow through is kinda short, but Stu's is even shorter and stops more abruptly. Wes get's his hand way inside the ball and rotates the wrist a lot, following through to the left while Stu follows through straight.

Here they should both of their styles:

https://youtu.be/1F02-LD_siU?t=209
    Last edited by jlwonderley; 09-06-2015 at 01:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12