Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buried 8 pin troubles

Default Buried 8 pin troubles

Hi, I'm still reading and learning, tonight I left back to back buried 8 pins (right hander). I thought this is from ball coming in too hard and driving the 5 pin straight back. I moved 2 boards left to get into a bit more oil. Next 2 frames left flat10 pins, saw the 6 go around the 10. Since 8 pins are easier for me to shoot, I moved back to right 2 boards. Is there something different anyone might have done different? I'm throwing a Storm Optimus, but I don't have too much wrist yet so revs are still low.

While solid eight pin leaves were long considered to be the only true tap in bowling, they are actually the result of a hit that is just slightly weak. As your slight move didn't work, but your ball was still in the pocket, it may be that the Optimus, which is a pretty aggressive ball, may have been losing just enough energy through early roll to be the cause of your dilemma. Choosing a ball to use is not just a matter of finding the most aggressive ball that you can, but one that matches up to your style.

Quote Originally Posted by ackwdw123 View Post
    Hi, I'm still reading and learning, tonight I left back to back buried 8 pins (right hander). I thought this is from ball coming in too hard and driving the 5 pin straight back. I moved 2 boards left to get into a bit more oil. Next 2 frames left flat10 pins, saw the 6 go around the 10. Since 8 pins are easier for me to shoot, I moved back to right 2 boards. Is there something different anyone might have done different? I'm throwing a Storm Optimus, but I don't have too much wrist yet so revs are still low.
    I don't think i would move off flush 8 pins. Just horrible luck.

Chats: 256

Rob is right. No true taps in bowling. The pins left on the deck are always indicative of how the ball is coming in to the pocket and if the ball has enough energy to complete it's path.

Considering you were leaving 8's and then moved left 2 boards, then left flat 10's, how about a move 1 board instead of moving 2? When I a leaving 10's, a 1/2 board move depending on flat or ringers is usually all I need to get back to striking.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Rob is right. No true taps in bowling. The pins left on the deck are always indicative of how the ball is coming in to the pocket and if the ball has enough energy to complete it's path.

Considering you were leaving 8's and then moved left 2 boards, then left flat 10's, how about a move 1 board instead of moving 2? When I a leaving 10's, a 1/2 board move depending on flat or ringers is usually all I need to get back to striking.
    Would you move off a flush 8 pin? You are right there is a reason you leave many pins. You are good enough if you are lined up to move and leave a flat 10, ring 10. A little tougher to do is leave a 4, light 7 or a 9 on purpose. But you can stand there all day and not leave a 8 on purpose. Because the shot was so close to perfect to don't move off it.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 03-17-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    While solid eight pin leaves were long considered to be the only true tap in bowling, they are actually the result of a hit that is just slightly weak. As your slight move didn't work, but your ball was still in the pocket, it may be that the Optimus, which is a pretty aggressive ball, may have been losing just enough energy through early roll to be the cause of your dilemma. Choosing a ball to use is not just a matter of finding the most aggressive ball that you can, but one that matches up to your style.
    Maybe you're 8 pins, or those bowling with you are due to weak shots, but for most of us in the real world, who would consider the shot "buried" the ball is not weak, it is just a slight bit higher that perfect, and fluke pin deflection interferes with the 5 pin.

This video is the last 8 pin I have captured.

At approximately 3:40 I leave an 8 pin, which in no way would be considered weak.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post

I have to disagree with you mainly because you started with "Rob is right".

The 8 pin is about how pins deflect off other pins, whereas the 10 pin is about how the ball deflects off the head pin.

Ball deflection is much easier to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Maybe you're 8 pins, or those bowling with you are due to weak shots, but for most of us in the real world, who would consider the shot "buried" the ball is not weak, it is just a slight bit higher that perfect, and fluke pin deflection interferes with the 5 pin.

This video is the last 8 pin I have captured.

At approximately 3:40 I leave an 8 pin, which in no way would be considered weak.
    Maybe you should have squared up another 1/5 board to the right off that.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Would you move off a flush 8 pin? You are right there is a reason you leave many pins. You are good enough if you are lined up to move and leave a flat 10, ring 10. A little tougher to do is leave a 4, light 7 or a 9 on purpose. But you can stand there all day and not leave a 8 on purpose. Because the shot was so close to perfect to don't move off it.
    I certainly would if I, like the OP, was leaving a string of 8 pins. Why stay when it's not working. If you wouldn't move, that is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I have to disagree with you mainly because you started with "Rob is right".
    Wouldn't expect any less of you.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

[QUOTE=vdubtx;126062]I certainly would if I, like the OP, was leaving a string of 8 pins. Why stay when it's not working. If you wouldn't move, that is fine.

I would move off a shaker 8 not a flush one like he was leaving but as you said to each his own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast