Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Pin placement do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson View Post
    Drilling options:

Distance between pin and positive axis point (PAP)
    Distance between pin and grip center
    Location of Mass Bias (MB) in relation to grip center
    etc.

Consider wanting a layout that promotes length by having a pin high over the finger bridge, with the pin 5 inches from PAP to pin without a weight hole.

If you have a ball where the Cg is .5 inches from the pin and you place the pin 2 inches above your fingers, your cG is going to be 1.5 inches above your finger holes. You'll need a weight hol.

With a ball where the Cg is 4-5 inches from the pin, you likely won't need a weight hole.

Ditto for a ball with a short PAP to pin distance if you're a bowler with a high track or for a a low-tracker that wants to put their pin on their track.

I really need to photo-shop this for you guys. A picture is really worth a few hundred words in this case.
    Um, Ok, I'll take your word for it. I printed this out and will go ahead and purchase the executioner and go with it. My track as it currently is (mid) not low, but not high either, my goal is high track.

Tonight was a good indication what I have to work on, I stayed behind the ball really well, but the track was still mid to low, but closer then it has been. The carry was not there until the 3rd game, but I never move off of 10 pin leaves, nothing I try seems to work. The leg kick out of the way is the point of my focus now - just get it out of the way, not forceful so it doesn't open my shoulders and make my left foot point right at the end.

Additional Note - Weight holes are for legality?
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-02-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

USBC stipulates that a ball may not have more than 1oz finger weight, thumb weight, or side weight and may not have more than 3oz top weight or bottom weight. So if you move the center of gravity too far from your grip center, you run the risk of biasing the weight in the ball in that direction. A weight hole can take weight out of the ball where necessary to bring the ball back to legal standards.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Quote Originally Posted by The KingPin View Post
    With a ball doing different things when you get it drilled a certain way, what pin placement do you get when you buy a ball and why?
    Honestly, the reason why I get the pin 2-3", my coach told me so. He did talk with our driller prior and they both agreed based on them seeing me bowl for a few months. My coach is helping me change from cranker to stroker, and my driller keeps asking me why I am changing, he thought I rolled the ball decent for my size and avg'd well. I told him why, he just laughed and said the technology is going more hand, and your trying to take it out. I'm just making it harder on myself he further explained, but agreed with the pin placements and distances to get where I want to go.

Chats: 19

This is like reading greek to me. Anyone care to explain the whole "pin placement" in simple terms?
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

I usually get 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 inch pins depending on if I am drilling the ball pin above or pin below the fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    This is like reading greek to me. Anyone care to explain the whole "pin placement" in simple terms?
    I found this article a few days ago after reading things from Janderson, it helped me understand them better. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...22/ai_n6119868

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12