Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is reasonably expected from the bowling alley on a USBC certified league?

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    My league is USBC certified, but people bowl on our lanes up to 15 minutes before warm up. The lanes are actually oiled while open bowling is still going on so you never know what kind of conditions you will get. I tend to get to the alley about an hour before we start because my office is right around the corner and it makes no sense for me to go home and drive all the way back, so at least I can usually gauge what lunatics were bowling on my pair for any given night.
    I guess I should lower my expectations then. Kinda disappointing IMO. Either that or I'll be taking my business to other bowling alleys around the area.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Sourtower View Post
    So I bowl in 3 bowling leagues, 2 at a Brunswick XL, and the other at an older bowling alley that used to be a Brunswick but was bought by another company. Anyways, my question is what is reasonably expected of lane conditions from a bowling alley in a USBC certified league? Out of the 3 leagues, only 1 is USBC certified, but I feel like the lane conditions are so inconsistent that its very frustrating. I'm almost 100% positive that for 22 out of the 28 weeks I've been in the league, that the lanes either haven't been freshly oiled, or that people have been bowling on those lanes up to an hour before league starts so the oil is all messed up by the time the league warm ups begin. Most, if not all of the bowling alleys I've been to in my area have a 'rule' where they do not allow any bowling up to an hour and a half before leagues start, and almost certainly after they've put on fresh oil before leagues begin. Is there a way I can file a complaint against the bowling alley through USBC or how should I go about dealing with this issue? Last night, by the 2nd game, all of the other bowlers on the pair I was bowling on had already transitioned to their medium-dry oil equipment. My friend had even started throwing his 'spare' ball for strikes in the 3rd game.

To some extent you have to blame the bowlers who took the easy way out of their problems.

Before reactive resin balls came about, many bowlers had a hard time getting the ball to roll thru the pins.

Leaving a 5 pin, or 2-4-5-8 was a common sight for people who didn't work at their game.

Ball companies came up with the miracle cure (resin) and now it's actually difficult to keep a ball from going into a roll.

The problem is, since the ball removes more oil from the lane than pre-resin, the bowling center is putting down about 3 times as much oil as before, and cleaning the lane every time the lane is oiled.

Pre-Resin the lane was only stripped of oil maybe twice a week, and new oil applied daily.

That means an increase in oil and cleaning product costs, just so you can throw strikes without having to come in and develop your skill during open bowling.

The modern ball is a lose lose situation for the bowling center.

And it's eroding the skill of the higher average league bowler.

Chats: 204

If enough people complain, they'll probably change things.

Last season my home center decided to flood the lanes in the morning and then just leave them all day. So you never knew what you were going to get. And most days you'd get an even worse condition than a sport shot…with oil smeared up past the breakpoint. Well, when only a handful of players averaged over 190 (out of 170 bowlers), enough of them complained that by the last game of the season (and now this season)…the pro shop guy said the owner agreed to shorten the pattern. Which sucks…because the best option would be a standard pattern that gets applied prior to leagues…but I guess it's slightly better than the other option.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

USBC certification for a league, for the most part, only concerns the league rules and by-laws. For a bowling center, the USBC is mainly concerned with whether the lanes are within specs on being flat and level. There is no rule as far as I know that leagues must get a freshly oiled shot. The only exception is for sport leagues where the oil on the lane has to be checked before competition to make sure it is a sport compliant pattern.
    John

Thankfully, our oil is never tampered with in our leagues and I'm enrolled in 4. Rules are obviously different in each one, but I have my pet peeves about each one. My worst pet peeves are people that stand up on the lane after a "great shot" and stare at the pins wondering what they did wrong. Meanwhile, their ball has no finish to it or has already completed the hook phase prior to hitting the pocket. They'll moan and groan and kick the return as I go up for a shot or someone else. That is annoying and has actually caused 5 total fights this year. To me, that's childish and this is something that should be removed from leagues instantly. We've lost 2 teams already because of bad behavior and childish antics.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    USBC certification for a league, for the most part, only concerns the league rules and by-laws. For a bowling center, the USBC is mainly concerned with whether the lanes are within specs on being flat and level. There is no rule as far as I know that leagues must get a freshly oiled shot. The only exception is for sport leagues where the oil on the lane has to be checked before competition to make sure it is a sport compliant pattern.
    Really there's no rule that the lanes have to be oiled in the first place, just that if they are oil there has to be at least 3 units where it is oiled.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MFein View Post
    Thankfully, our oil is never tampered with in our leagues and I'm enrolled in 4. Rules are obviously different in each one, but I have my pet peeves about each one. My worst pet peeves are people that stand up on the lane after a "great shot" and stare at the pins wondering what they did wrong. Meanwhile, their ball has no finish to it or has already completed the hook phase prior to hitting the pocket. They'll moan and groan and kick the return as I go up for a shot or someone else. That is annoying and has actually caused 5 total fights this year. To me, that's childish and this is something that should be removed from leagues instantly. We've lost 2 teams already because of bad behavior and childish antics.
    I've got a team in my league with a cowbell and a guy who makes out with his girlfriend/wife/whatever she is each week.

We bowled on the pair next to them last week, and finally, there was almost a fight because of their stupid cowbell. I took pleasure in watching their high average two-hander who goes 240-175-150 each night bowl in the low 400s.

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    I've got a team in my league with a cowbell and a guy who makes out with his girlfriend/wife/whatever she is each week.

We bowled on the pair next to them last week, and finally, there was almost a fight because of their stupid cowbell. I took pleasure in watching their high average two-hander who goes 240-175-150 each night bowl in the low 400s.
    I probably would've taken a hammer to that cowbell a long time ago and told them 'Nothing Hits Like a Hammer' and walked away.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Really there's no rule that the lanes have to be oiled in the first place, just that if they are oil there has to be at least 3 units where it is oiled.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Sourtower View Post
    I probably would've taken a hammer to that cowbell a long time ago and told them 'Nothing Hits Like a Hammer' and walked away.
    I'd love to do that.

There was almost a fight 2 weeks ago--they were doing it nonstop. A bowler a few lanes down came up and threatened to shove it somewhere painful, and one of the dullards didn't take too kindly to it.

Last week, they only rang the bell a handful of times--we'll see what happens this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12