Thread: Help Me Pick My Arsenal

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Help Me Pick My Arsenal

I have the Bad Intentions (15lb), and my Ebonite Xxcel (16lb) is back from being being plugged/de-oiled. I tried to throw the Xxcel once, but the 1-pound difference in weight was surprisingly very noticeable....so I'm putting it out to pasture for the time being.

Last night, I went 225-178-180. I really needed to ball down from the Bad Intentions towards the end of the first game, but had nothing to go to. I absolutely love the ball itself--it explodes the pin deck, and my driller did a very good job with it. I'm looking for something with a similar motion, but a bit less aggressive.

The numbers for the Bad Intentions at 15#: RG: 2.48, Diff. 0.48, matte finish with symmetrical core. I have a 2-3" pin-up layout with the pin just above my ring finger (I'm a lefty).

I want a ball that's a bit less aggressive, which I plan to use as my "middle" ball. The Black Widow Red Legend has the following numbers, and if I'm interpreting information correctly, might be a good choice: RG: 2.50, Diff. 0.48, pearl finish.

I also want a ball to use on dry lane conditions, and am looking at the Hammer Spike. It has the below numbers: RG: 2.56, Diff. 0.54, polish finish.

For those same dry lane conditions, the Hammer Viral is also a thought, with the following numbers: RG: 2.51, Diff. 0.42, polish finish.

So, what say you, bowlingboards.com? I obviously picked all Hammer balls, but I'm not necessarily married to the brand (or EBI). I love everything about the Bad Intentions and just was thinking of supporting the company because they produced a great product that I like.

In terms of core numbers, both balls you currently use are fairly similar with low rg's of 2.48 and 2.50, and the same differential of 0.048. The primary difference that you are seeing between the two result from the difference in cover materials and finishes, provided that they are both drilled similarly. The Spike is a big jump in terms of rg at 2.56, while the Viral is still pretty close to the others. I would recommend that you find something in the 2.53-2.54 rg range, and play with the surface until you get a reaction that you can use to up those second and third game scores. I don't see anything in the Hammer line that fits the bill, but any of the balls in the Brunswick Ringer line, or the Storm Rocket should fit the bill nicely.

P.S. Retire the 16# ball permanently. One of the very few things that coaches and ball drillers agree on is that it is a really bad idea to switch between ball weights.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    In terms of core numbers, both balls you currently use are fairly similar with low rg's of 2.48 and 2.50, and the same differential of 0.048. The primary difference that you are seeing between the two result from the difference in cover materials and finishes, provided that they are both drilled similarly. The Spike is a big jump in terms of rg at 2.56, while the Viral is still pretty close to the others. I would recommend that you find something in the 2.53-2.54 rg range, and play with the surface until you get a reaction that you can use to up those second and third game scores. I don't see anything in the Hammer line that fits the bill, but any of the balls in the Brunswick Ringer line, or the Storm Rocket should fit the bill nicely.

P.S. Retire the 16# ball permanently. One of the very few things that coaches and ball drillers agree on is that it is a really bad idea to switch between ball weights.
    Thanks RobLV1. You're right about the 16# ball--in the one throw I had with it, it just didn't feel right.

So, if I'm reading what you're saying correctly: If I like the Bad Intentions (its motion) and just want a less aggressive ball, I want something with roughly the same numbers. Given those numbers, the Viral is fairly close. Other than that.....look outside of Hammer for those numbers.

What do you think of the Black Widow Red Legend numbers as far as a step down in aggressiveness from the Bad Intentions?

Actually the Black Window Red Legend has a Diff. of 0.58. The Bad Intentions may have a bigger overall hook rating, but the Red Legend will go longer but have a more aggressive backend to it. I am real close to picking up one of these and my Pro Shop guy says it is actually more aggressive than the B.I.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Thanks RobLV1. You're right about the 16# ball--in the one throw I had with it, it just didn't feel right.

So, if I'm reading what you're saying correctly: If I like the Bad Intentions (its motion) and just want a less aggressive ball, I want something with roughly the same numbers. Given those numbers, the Viral is fairly close. Other than that.....look outside of Hammer for those numbers.

What do you think of the Black Widow Red Legend numbers as far as a step down in aggressiveness from the Bad Intentions?
    It all depends on how you define "aggressive." Personally, I find that a ball with an rg that is lower, and a cover material and surface that is more reactive is more aggressive. With this definition, you need to find something with a higher rg (something in the mid-range from 2.53-2.54) and work with the surface to give you the reaction you want. The Black Widow Red Legend is only a step down from the Bad Intentions in terms of cover material and rg (very slightly). The higher differential will negate most of that. The ball will go longer, but the hook will be more intense.

Since you have been throwing lower rg equipment i'm guessing in general you have a more controlled type of motion. My fear for you with higher rg balls that you may encounter to much of a skid flip in comparison to your more comfortable trajectory. I like lower rg stuff for the most part and really try to stay away from skid flip unless the lanes really open up a lot. Like rob was saying you may want to go up just a little to a 2.52-2.54. You might consider a lower diff as well to control the motion on back. That way you can get a little more length and control the break point a little easier as well. Personally because i tend to like to keep the ball in front of me i sometimes encounter to much over/under with skid flip type balls. Having said that, it is a good idea to learn different angles in both the front and back. But, if you can adjust with equipment and still play to your strengths in regards to trajectory that always helps. This is especially true for bowlers that are at a stage in their game of constant improvement. Just my thoughts and 2 cents worth. Good luck with whatever you choose.

bad *** . same core weaker cover

Ringer

RobLV1,

I just won a Storm Rocket, so Storm Rocket it is! I'm very excited.

Thanks for your advice. I'll be picking a light oil ball, and a spare ball, for my next purchase (both at once).