Thread: Welp...Down for at least 2 months. Now What?!

Chats: 0

Default Welp...Down for at least 2 months. Now What?!

Wrist tendonitis. Tried to come back from it too early and now it's all jacked up. No golf, no softball, and ...you guessed it.. no bowling. Anyone gone through this? Tips and advice appreciated. Threw left handed for the first time ever the other night and averaged 130 at about 11mph. Thinking of getting a cheapo ball drilled for lefty in the meantime. Last 3 weeks of league. Now my team has little chance. I was the anchor and carried a 226 ave.

Also, (dead horse question) Ball suggestions for someone in the going lefty situation. Don't want to go crazy with it since I will probably never use it when my wrist stops being such a douchebag.

Chats: 204

Ughh…nightmare scenario for me when my shoulder or knee finally goes…not sure what I'll do with that time and money when that time comes.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1700 View Post
    Wrist tendonitis. Tried to come back from it too early and now it's all jacked up. No golf, no softball, and ...you guessed it.. no bowling. Anyone gone through this? Tips and advice appreciated. Threw left handed for the first time ever the other night and averaged 130 at about 11mph. Thinking of getting a cheapo ball drilled for lefty in the meantime. Last 3 weeks of league. Now my team has little chance. I was the anchor and carried a 226 ave.
    Welcome to the sinister side!

I went lefty in 2008. Since then I've been ambidextrous and usually have at least one ball drilled for each hand with me.

My favorite lefty ball is a Storm HyRoad, but any of the entry level reactive resin balls should work.

Don't write this season off yet. Depending on how much practice you can get in, you'll probably improve each week and be able to take advantage of the extra handicap.
    John

If it's a sanctioned USBC league, you may want to look up rules about using your other hand. It used to be you had to only use your right or left hand exclusively, so to disallow a right-hander to shoot at the ten pin left-handed and make it easier. ( No two-handed bowlers back in the 80's )
    Also, what are the rules for blind scoring? If you're only losing 10 pins a game, you're better off than throwing 130 games. It's a bummer to lose the season due to injury. Let it heal or you'll screw up golf for the whole summer.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    If it's a sanctioned USBC league, you may want to look up rules about using your other hand. It used to be you had to only use your right or left hand exclusively, so to disallow a right-hander to shoot at the ten pin left-handed and make it easier. ( No two-handed bowlers back in the 80's )
    Also, what are the rules for blind scoring? If you're only losing 10 pins a game, you're better off than throwing 130 games. It's a bummer to lose the season due to injury. Let it heal or you'll screw up golf for the whole summer.
    A bowler is allowed to switch hands due to injury. To switch back during the same season requires the approval of the league board of directors.
    John

Thanks J. Thought there would be a rule about switching hands during the season.

Chats: 32

Yes and actually you should be able to re establish a left handed average and handicap. So you won't be hamstrung by a lower left handed ability
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I bowled lefty for a year and a half, due to shoulder injury and then surgery. I had to run it past the league president and they checked, and said I would have to bowl and establish a left handed average and bowl only left handed unless I notified them I was ready to switch back. It was a sanctioned league and about 8 years ago. I am lucky that I'm somewhat ambidextrous, I can write and throw a ball decently with either hand. I averaged about 15 to 20 pins less as a lefty but it didn't really matter at least I could still get out and bowl.