Thread: Opinions on which Approach I should stick with.

Default Opinions on which Approach I should stick with.

Looking for opinions on which approach has more potential. Approach 1 is my original. I find it forces me very deep very fast which is not my A game at all. Approach 2 is something I'm trying. I played 5 games playing straight up the 9 or 10 board and never moved.
    Which do you think has more potential and I should stick with. I've been bowling for about 11 months and keep changing things. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and am not limiting myself with what I decide to stick with.
    Approach1
    http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/Pm7r5xIm?e=2003458
    Approach 2
    http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/Q0QdHI8U?e=2003459#

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Fundamentally, approach 1 looks better. The weight of the ball is close to your body in the set-up, and your spine tilt stays pretty consistent from set-up through release. In 2 the ball is held much further away and your spine tilt is nonexistent in your set-up, probably to compensate for having the ball so far out in front.
    John

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I'd go with 2

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I agree with JA, your form in approach 1 looks much better than 2. There's no reason you couldn't play down 9-10 with that approach with just some adjustments in release.

IMO you might need to start the ball a little sooner and lose that little curtsey bounce you do on the 2nd step.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I agree with JA, your form in approach 1 looks much better than 2. There's no reason you couldn't play down 9-10 with that approach with just some adjustments in release.

IMO you might need to start the ball a little sooner and lose that little curtsey bounce you do on the 2nd step.
    I was at a Brunswick Mini Camp on Thursday and getting my ball into the swing sooner was what Jason Sterner recommended I work on. "Approach 2" is my attempt to do that and eliminate the "curtsey" step. Actually its my "Sunshine Day" step from the Brady Bunch.. "i think i'll go for a walk outside now; the summer sun's callin my name; sunshine day, everybody's smilin
    sunshine day"

In terms of Approach 2, is the spine tilt the only criticism or is there something else that doesn't look correct. In terms of playing up 9-10 with Approach 1, its a ball speed issue, I think. Maybe getting rid of my "Sunshine Day" step and getting the ball into the swing earlier is all I need to do to fix that.

Chats: 256

Any views from behind to see how you are lining up and how your steps are placed etc?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Any views from behind to see how you are lining up and how your steps are placed etc?
    I only have the back view of approach 1 but the steps aren't clearly visible.
    http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/AXHDbQ7K?e=2024933

In your 5 step approach, you're upper body has too much movement going into you second step which is important to be stable (shoulders) when taking the first 3 steps on a 5 step approach. try to be smoother, and also, your head is too far forward in your approach from the video angle...On your third step, your head is passed your foot. then as you slide on your down swing, your head/body weight shifts backwards slightly. This can mess up your leverage. but you have good temp
    1 2 345, just don't dip after the first step.

and in the first video, after your second step, you start your push away late and load too much in your wrist. With the loaded wrist and the low position of the ball, you will trigger unwanted muscles in your swing. That being said, you could position the ball a little higher, above your belt. hold the ball a little more with your left hand and place the ball in front of your arm pit or right chest. And allow the left and to start the push away. The goal is a free swing.

here's a video that I found that I can compare myself to since I have a similar style. Only, he looks more in shape than I do..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvfNuoIQcIk

Thanks for the Feedback Fokai73.. I'll work on keeping my upper body more quiet and starting my ball higher, in particular. I had just watched that youtube video about a week ago. I love Michael Bauer's (AKA SK8Shorty) reviews, and happen to come across that video while surfing..