Thread: Teammate Needs an Arsenal Analysis

Chats: 204

Question Teammate Needs an Arsenal Analysis

I have a teammate in my Thursday league that is a pro shop's dream. He buys a new ball every 3 weeks and most of the decision is just whatever the pro shop operator thinks.

Well, he has no real bowling ball IQ. He knows virtually nothing about bowling ball technology. So he usually tries a ball…if it works he uses it. Then if it hooks too much or not enough…he goes and randomly grabs another one and tries that one.

His current arsenal is:

DV8 Ruckus Feud, Brunswick Mastermind Genius, Storm Optimus, and Motiv Jackal.

Now, in my initial attempt to analyze his arsenal and figure out a knowledge-based progression…I looked at what ball hooks soonest and the RG which is suppoed to be indicitive of that. Going simply by the RGs:

The Jackal should hook soonest (2.46), then the Optimus (2.48), then the Genius (2.532), and then the Feud (2.566).

BUT…there are two problems when you dig deeper into the balls in question:
    1) The Jackal's coverstock seems to be designed to go a bit further than it's RG would indicate. It's also the newest ball in terms of coverstock technology.
    2) The Genius, when reviewing ball path diagrams, seems to be suggested to use more on the outside (of 10) which a strong backend. The other 3 balls show paths that open up the lane a bit more. Not a reliable metric by any means….but it's still a thought.

The problem with using RGs is they involve the core and the coverstock has been proven to be far or at least slightly more relevant to ball motion. Using that logic, a Solid cover will hook soonest, followed by a hybrid, followed by a pearl.

Using that logic, the progression is the exact opposite: Feud (solid), Genius (hybrid), Jackal (pearl/matte), Optimus (pearl/1500polished).

Now…one thing I've found useful in arsenal dilemmas when you have this type of conundrum is to use the bowling ball.com PerfectScale rating (if they've rated the ball which for most they have). I don't think it's a good first tool to go to…I think coverstocks and RGs and understanding those is more important. But, the perfectscale usually is pretty good as a tiebreaker. And I think it's a good leveler of the playing field that takes into account different companies bias as well as being a built in measure of how technology changes over time.

Using that logic…the progression should be the same as when using the coverstocks, not the RGs.

Now, I know the best way to see what hooks first is to watch him throw them…but this aint a guy thats gonna come in for practice and get videotaped. This is a guy that shows up about 10 minutes late for league night and only bowls once a week.

The other frustration is, he is a bowler with rather excessive speed. I'd say he's in that 19-22mph range. So…before even looking at this…I was well aware that if he didn't "slow his roll"….he may not see much difference in ANY arsenal.

So do any ball experts and/or those that have used the balls above have any input into the progression? I know most bowlers use "feel" rather than numbers to determine progression…but do any that use numbers come across this problem as well? And for the coaches/veterans…is it likely that at such a high speed a person likely won't see any difference ball to ball or arsenal to arsenal? Would a high speed player sand their equipment to get "some" movement before skidding past the breakpoint? Or would sanding the balls cause the balls to start into their roll sooner but burn out too fast?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Just some extra info

These are the approximate RG's of the PAP for most layouts that might be used.
    and The Differential Ratios (tells you the potential of the ball to respond to friction. ).

The Asymmetrical:

Motiv Jackal-
    Pap rg-2.502 (this ball should reach the first transition the earliest)
    diff. ratio.- .25 (A medium reaction)

Brunswick Mastermind Genius-
    Pap rg-2.5244
    diff. ratio.- .288 (A medium reaction, should be slightly more angular than the other two.)

DV8 Ruckus Feud-
    Pap rg-2.5764 (this ball should reach the first transition the latest)
    diff. ratio.- .25 (A medium reaction)

The Symmetrical:
    Storm Optimus-
    Pap rg- 2.5136
    diff. ratio.- 0 (should have the smoothest, most controllable motion compared to the others)
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-28-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

About how many revs does this guy have? Unless he's in the 400+ area he's probably just throwing the ball through the break point anyway. Unless he's a super high rev to go with that speed my guess is he just flings most balls like I do my spare ball.

If I had to guess I bet he scores better with the feud and jackal. Lower Rg higher performance balls with more surface are probably going to be his best friend. On THS he could throw the feud or the jakal and be successful the feud is going to be more down and in the jakal might allow him to open the lanes a little more.

On the Optimus and mastermind genius if he's a250-300 rev guy those are basically spare balls for him. If he's higher rev they could work but would be my suggestion for drier or transitions lanes.

Too much speed if u don't have the revs to match is just as bad as too little maybe worse.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Yeah. I hate to tell him it doesn't matter which ball he throws because his speed is too high for his rev rate. But that appears to be the issue.

He gets some decent movement out of the Jackal (eye test) but the other three all some like aggressive spare balls when he throws them.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Yeah. I hate to tell him it doesn't matter which ball he throws because his speed is too high for his rev rate. But that appears to be the issue.

He gets some decent movement out of the Jackal (eye test) but the other three all some like aggressive spare balls when he throws them.
    That's about what I figured if I was goin to try something else maybe something like a brunswick mastermind at about 500 grit but it would blow the pattern for everyone else if he did.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone