Thread: Anybody else watch the PBA telecast today?

Default Anybody else watch the PBA telecast today?

5 open frames in a row with all those Hall of Famers and pros. It was ridiculous to see. I did however like the atmosphere. It was a nice change and I think it'll go a long way to increase popularity with the PBA tour.
    Bowling balls in the bag: Track Paradox, Hammer Deadly Aim, Hammer Black Widow Legend, Hammer Black Widow Assassin, Hammer Viral, Columbia 300 White Dot

I did not enjoy the new change in PBA. It's not the kind of way that you should play bowling. The spectators were talking during every shot. That really should not happen, it throws off the bowler. I get it, they're pros, but even they cant block out 100 fans all talking, laughing, and yelling when they're trying to bowl.

About half of the people there, spectators and bowlers, were probably drunk. We all know Pete Weber was.

They're trying to increase the popularity of the game, but you really can't do that. Bowling is not a sport like baseball or soccer or football. Many people are just OK with sports like that. But with bowling, its either you love it, or you hate it. There's no in-between. I agree with them trying to increase the popularity, but I don't think it will work. And even if it does, with the way they're going, it's going to kill the spirit and love of the game.

And that 5 open frame nonsense in the first match was quite funny to see. I was almost on the floor.

This "league" thing is more fun than anything so I welcome the rowdy crowd for this type of stuff. And I liked it that all the pros had fun with it. PDW and Rash (two more serious bowlers) smiling and having fun with the crowd was nice to see.

I was in attendance all weekend long.

When I was younger my father, mother and older sister bowled. They were all good. I remember sitting in the car and driving to bowling alleys all over the northeast. Obviously I grew up not liking bowling. About 9 years ago, BowlPortland (Bayside Bowl) started. The "commissioner" asked if I wanted to field a team. At first I was hesitant, but what else are you going to do on a Tuesday night in Maine.

The league started at another house in town and we didn't get the lanes until 8pm. And by lanes I mean all of the lanes. I think 26. There was a womens league that bowled before us and they only used 6 lanes at the most. We were not allowed to make noise, the DJ couldn't play music until they were finished with their last frame.

Back then if you threw a spare, you were the best bowler in the league!! We all used house balls but we did buy our own shoes. I remember the first time I saw one of my friends throwing a hook ball. I needed to have one! Or 8 years later 15!!

Since that first year in the league, Charlie has built his own 12 lane facility. He is adding another 8 lanes this spring. Across the bridge, not that far away, another bowling alley just opened up.

From what I've seen and experienced, the sport is growing.

This past weekend was amazing. I follow Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. I share season tickets to the Red Sox, the Portland SeaDogs (Red Sox affiliate) and the Portland Red Claws (Celtics affiliate) play about 2 minutes away from Bayside. Have I ever met any of those players? No way.

Was it fun to eat a breakfast sandwich at the Saturday morning tailgate with Scott Norton, Norm Duke and numerous others, Absolutely!! Parker Bohn went to one of my teammates HS class and spoke about being the best at whatever you do. Belmo went candlepin bowling. Walter Ray told us to chant during his approach. Weber told us to chant "Charles". Who is Charles? He is the cameraman at the approach!!

If you have some time, listen to the weekly podcast. This week, they interview the professionals

http://www.bowlportland.com/series/rooftop/

Obviously, it won't work all the time, but it was great to be part of this and I hope they do it again soon!

Oh and I heard that EJ Tacket just got his own personal brick at Bayside Bowl. 300 I wonder what his alter ego name will be?

I really liked the format with spectators standing and cheering. It obviously unnerved the bowlers initially, but they got over it. The one thing that I didn't like was the lack of continuity. Last year's winners, the Silver Lake Atom Splitters, was reduced to manager Mark Baker and Chris Barnes. Other than that... totally new team. How are they planning on creating a dynasty like the NY Yankees, if the team changes every year? A couple of big surprises; Barnes throwing Globabl, and Shafer throwing Ebonite.

I really like Aslan's idea of creating teams by ball manufacturer.

At Bayside Bowl, you bowl under a nickname. EJ decided to use the name Squirrel. There is now a brick on the wall with the name squirrel

I liked the format, took me a little bit to get used to it but there are times for a not so interactive audience. These league games I think benefit from having an audience that is a bit more into it and the bowler's seemed to quite enjoy it too, just a fun time all around.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post

I really like Aslan's idea of creating teams by ball manufacturer.
    Storm/Roto Grip guys are literally half the PBA bowlers. I'm exaggerating but you get the idea. I notice a lot of Storm sponsored bowlers.