Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Signature restricted ?

Default Signature restricted ?

I am a new member and went to look for the signature section to add a couple of things like average , high game/series and equipment so that when I post the people reading it have some basic idea of the person making the comment. I can't even find an entry option for signature, does it not appear in the profile or setting for some reason ? Is it restricted until you've been a member or have X amount of posts ? Seems not allowing this feature would be a disservice to the other members to whom it might be valuable information about another member.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I am a new member and went to look for the signature section to add a couple of things like average , high game/series and equipment so that when I post the people reading it have some basic idea of the person making the comment. I can't even find an entry option for signature, does it not appear in the profile or setting for some reason ? Is it restricted until you've been a member or have X amount of posts ? Seems not allowing this feature would be a disservice to the other members to whom it might be valuable information about another member.
    Welcome to the board Veruca Salt.

I want it all, and I want it NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

Thanks for the response, although not really an answer and
    seems like a rather unfair comparison.
    Why is a basic signature a big deal ? What is the purpose or strategy in requiring one to wait before being allowed a feature that
    mostly provides usable information to the existing members ?

Seems a rather unwelcoming response to a basic question from a site self described as "Family Friendly Bowling Advice Forum Community "
    Are you an Admin ?

Chats: 256

Seems a rather unwelcoming response to a basic question from a site self described as "Family Friendly Bowling Advice Forum Community "
    Are you an Admin ?
    Think you need to have 10 posts, not 100% on that.

Signature can be found by going to Settings at top right of page, then on left you will see Edit Signature in the My Settings portion.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Banned
    Chats: 68

Are you an Admin ?
    I'm not an admin, I just tend to think things are set the way they are either by default, or because someone in the past may have abused the feature.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the signature because it's not really part of the post.

If you change your signature, and go back and look at previous posts which were made using a different signature, they appear with the new signature. Likewise if you remove your signature, it disappears from all your old posts.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Think you need to have 10 posts, not 100% on that.

Signature can be found by going to Settings at top right of page, then on left you will see Edit Signature in the My Settings portion.
    Thanks for the helpful information!

I'm not an admin, I just tend to think things are set the way they are either by default, or because someone in the past may have abused the feature.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the signature because it's not really part of the post.

If you change your signature, and go back and look at previous posts which were made using a different signature, they appear with the new signature. Likewise if you remove your signature, it disappears from all your old posts.
    Thanks, all I was looking for is information on the signature since I didn't see the option to enter it in the setting and also did not find information elsewhere in the FAQ.
    I've found on some sites it's useless information and on others highly valuable to know the person's basic background and level on the given subject.

Well, to be fair from what it sounds like it doesn't even tell you why it is the way it is. So for all new members knows it could be that you need 100 posts for a signature, or maybe you need to participate in a thread somewhere that's not disclosed.

Probably a better option would be for everyone to have access to the "edit signature" area of the profile, but for people under a certain post count to have it grayed out and told that you need to achieve a certain amount of activity before being allowed to add a signature. Just to keep it from being a guessing game on how to actually unlock it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Thanks for the response, although not really an answer and
    seems like a rather unfair comparison.
    Why is a basic signature a big deal ? What is the purpose or strategy in requiring one to wait before being allowed a feature that
    mostly provides usable information to the existing members ?
    The big deal is that it's a anti spam measure. There are alot of spammers that register just to spam the signature section. So requiring minimum number of posts helps stop it. It's not a uncommon thing either a lot of forums have limits.

There didn't use to be a minimum number of posts, but the spammers abused it. Adding the minimum stopped a lot and slowed down others.

It's like the limits on number and size of pictures in sigs, signature abuse can get bad, with people using huge photos 10-20-30 etc. lines of text in sigs.

You'd have a thread with only a few posts, but be pages long do to the massive signatures.

Yes there are some things that need fixing and updating in the faqs, but Idon't have the access to fix them. Some things got changed during some software updates and didn't get reset or went to default settings.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-31-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast