Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjustment help

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    One thing to keep in mind the farther you move left the more your most likely belling the ball out (throwing farther right and letting it hook back) I believe this causes the ball to expend more energy resulting in a weaker hit. This happens to me with my asylum even to the point of leaving pocket 7-10 splits sometimes.

Some things that work for me:

Make a large move inside and tighten the line (don't throw as much angle so the ball doesn't go as far right at the break point) as long as you can hold the pocket. Good Idea!
    Ball down and move right Bad Idea!
    Ball up and move farther left Good Idea!
    If your throwing a surface ball you may be able to change to a pearl and keep a similar line the pearl will bleed energy slower Good Idea!

Rob I'm sure will post if I'm full of crap but I've made these kind of changes with success in the past.
    Three out of four ain't bad. LOL

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Three out of four ain't bad. LOL
    We'll probably depends on how much less aggressive the next ball your going to is

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    We'll probably depends on how much less aggressive the next ball your going to is
    Unless you are changing to a non-reactive cover (plastic or, in some cases, urethane) I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it's never a good idea for a right hander to move right to adjust to a changing house shot. Common sense says that since most bowlers start around the second arrow where the oil line usually is on freshly oiled lanes, as the line dries up, a move to the right will only find more friction, not less. Since carry problems are nearly always caused by power loss in too much friction, a move right with a less aggressive ball may keep you in the pocket, but won't do anything to increase your carry.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Unless you are changing to a non-reactive cover (plastic or, in some cases, urethane) I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it's never a good idea for a right hander to move right to adjust to a changing house shot. Common sense says that since most bowlers start around the second arrow where the oil line usually is on freshly oiled lanes, as the line dries up, a move to the right will only find more friction, not less. Since carry problems are nearly always caused by power loss in too much friction, a move right with a less aggressive ball may keep you in the pocket, but won't do anything to increase your carry.
    You may be very well correct it probably also plays a large factor I start farther inside normally than most bowlers
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler
    Chats: 1

If changing balls isn't an option then changing hand position might be a good alternative. The goal would be to increase your axis rotation which in turn would increase the distance the ball skids before it reaches the hook and roll phases. That will help the ball retain energy and it will also change the angle in which the ball enters the pins.

When I only had one ball I found myself having carry issues in the 3rd game every week as I moved deeper and increasing my axis rotation was enough to start carrying the corners. I found that the best way for me to do this was to lead with my index finger through my target instead of with my middle or ring finger. I don't know if this is necessarily the best move but it worked for me when I found myself in a similar situation and I think it is worth a shot for you too if you have no other alternatives.

Chats: 0

Thanks for the help guys. I'll try moving left a couple boards aswell as moving my target to get inside the oil again. If that doesn't work I'll try changing the hand positions. League is tonight, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12