Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustment help

Chats: 0

Default Adjustment help

Ok, the last 8 weeks or so I've been on a tear... In my first two games, then I can't strike in the 3rd. My first two games have all been 220+, then in the third when everything dries up, I can't strike anymore. I move a board or two left each game until I find the pocket. In the 3rd game I'm hitting the pocket, but leaving a lot of corner pins 6s & 10s.

So my question is, when I find the pocket in that last game and keep leaving the corners... What is my next adjustment? I can't move up since I'm about an inch from the line when I slide. Is ball speed the answer? If so how do I generate more speed without changing my approach?

Are the ten pins you are leaving ringing or weak?

Mostly ringers with the occasional softy. I think they're weak when I hit high.

It sounds like at a certain point as you move left, your ball does not have enough angle to carry the corners. Most bowlers ball down as the night progresses. There are times, however, that a more aggressive ball is needed to create more angle as you move more inside. I think that this is one of those times.

Chats: 32

One thing to keep in mind the farther you move left the more your most likely belling the ball out (throwing farther right and letting it hook back) I believe this causes the ball to expend more energy resulting in a weaker hit. This happens to me with my asylum even to the point of leaving pocket 7-10 splits sometimes.

Some things that work for me:

Make a large move inside and tighten the line (don't throw as much angle so the ball doesn't go as far right at the break point) as long as you can hold the pocket.
    Ball down and move right
    Ball up and move farther left
    If your throwing a surface ball you may be able to change to a pearl and keep a similar line the pearl will bleed energy slower

Rob I'm sure will post if I'm full of crap but I've made these kind of changes with success in the past.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I just bought a house and I'm broke so buying another ball is out. I only move a total of 3 boards the entire night, and I keep the same target. I have to figure something out tho. It's really pissing me off that I'm throwing away 700 series every week. Should I try moving further left and move my target aswell to getinside the oil?

FYI, House is dry to begin with. I throw the black and blue Hammer Spike. My feet start at the 20, I roll over the 11, and my ball breaks between the 7-5 boards. 2nd game I usually move a board to the left with my feet, then 2 more boards to the left with my feet in the third game. All three games I keep the same mark (11).

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    I just bought a house and I'm broke so buying another ball is out. I only move a total of 3 boards the entire night, and I keep the same target. I have to figure something out tho. It's really pissing me off that I'm throwing away 700 series every week. Should I try moving further left and move my target aswell to getinside the oil?
    You nailed it on the head. Move your target in as you move your feet left try making a 2 with the feet and 1 with the target or maybe even a 3 with the feet and two with the target move to the right. When you just move your feet what you are doing is just increasing the angle that the ball is traveling at which actually puts it in the dry sooner causing it to burn more energy to get back to the pocket. Moving feet and target should keep the ball in the oil longer and keeps the same angle should help with your problem.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    One thing to keep in mind the farther you move left the more your most likely belling the ball out (throwing farther right and letting it hook back) I believe this causes the ball to expend more energy resulting in a weaker hit. This happens to me with my asylum even to the point of leaving pocket 7-10 splits sometimes.

Some things that work for me:

Make a large move inside and tighten the line (don't throw as much angle so the ball doesn't go as far right at the break point) as long as you can hold the pocket.
    Ball down and move right
    Ball up and move farther left
    If your throwing a surface ball you may be able to change to a pearl and keep a similar line the pearl will bleed energy slower

Rob I'm sure will post if I'm full of crap but I've made these kind of changes with success in the past.
    All good advice, thanks.

Chats: 256

Another adjustment to make on drier lanes is to move your eyes to a target further down lane. On Tuesdays I move my target to about 40' down lane vs using the arrows at higher volume houses.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast