Thread: Reaching the next Level/Bad Entry angle

Default Reaching the next Level/Bad Entry angle

I've been bowling for about a year now and I feel I'm stuck with the same problem week in and week out. I'm a 180ish bowler and can't seem to string together strikes regularly. I've been trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible to keep progressing as I continue to work on my physical game. After a few recent coaching sessions I really feel that I'm rolling the ball well. Much more consistent release/speed/accuracy. Last night for example I was hitting the pocket 90+% of the time leaving 4pins and 10 pins. I left a 2 and a couple of 9's sprinkled in there, but it was mostly 10's and 4's. I'm probably a stroker.. maybe power stroker/tweener and was using a IQ Fusion where most of these issues were occurring.. Things got better when I switch to the Optimus for about half a game.

I feel as though the line I'm choosing doesn't match up well with the equipment I'm throwing. For example, I started out standing 19, throwing 11.. this is close to up the 11 board for me.. (laydown about 12 board) It is a 42 foot white pattern. By the time the first game was over I was standing 25 throwing 15. Playing deeper than 3rd arrow is not my strong suit but I was rolling it ok and hitting the pocket. Until I switched to the Optimus I couldn't string anything together. I bowled 176 176 the first two games (started out game 2 with back to back splits before switching balls) The last game I got used an ill fitting Tropical breeze that had just been completed by the proshop buy.. moved back to 19-11 and ended with a 224 which got me thinking.. that same line with my IQ Fusion was not working very well in Game 1.... If I play straighter up the boards should I avoid a really angular ball? (FYI.. the optimus has quite a few games and is no longer polished.. the IQ was resurfaced a few weeks ago and is currently much more angular) Is my angle of attack just not right? I feel as though standing 25 throwing 15 gets me in the pocket... 26 to 15 bounces it off the dry to early and causes a high it... 24 to 15 skids too far and results in a light hit. I have to be missing something. Thanks

To answer 1 question: In my experience when playing a straighter trajectory a less angular ball is preferable. Usually angularity AT THE PINS AND IN THE POCKET does create more carry but with a straighter shot you have to be more consistent with speed, release, etc. with a skid flip ball. I did notice though in your post that you don't mention your desired break point boards. Most agree in today's game to look at the lane from back to front on easier shots ( white a little tougher usually than house shot ) and let a break point and what you want the ball to do on the back dictate your angles through the front. In your practice sessions find a couple boards at the break point that will get you to the pocket and then try to determine how to get there and with what ball to create a reaction to carry. The 26/15 & 24/15 is probably resulting in 4-5 boards difference down lane and that will definitely give you that over/under flat 10 & 4 pin reaction. So on your high shot or light shot what ever that break point board is you want to adjust that board and work out the angle to get to the new board. You seem to have a idea of what your equipment does and definitely have an advantage on most with your knowledge of your lay down spot. I'm not saying to look at a different spot than you normally do when throwing a shot just watch the ball for the entire line and pay attention especially to the break point. Just draw that imaginary line backwards from break point to foul line based on your balls normal reaction and work on different angles with all your equipment. Let the lane tell you what to do, it is a very small percentage of bowlers that can overpower any condition. Work on this in your practice sessions and good luck with your game.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 04-03-2015 at 09:31 PM.

I have encountered the same problem and Fortheloveofbowling is right on target with what I've been learning, I usually start between 20 and 25 throwing down 10 and move from there, I run into problems when I have to move outside 27 and have found if I throw over 11 heading at a angle toward the 10 pin the ball will continue to come back hard. I can't always do that or can't stay consistent with it so then I'll switch to a less aggressive ball and start back in around 20 and adjust from there. I've just started to understand the importance of having a target break point down the lane but have noticed that the majority of high average bowlers seem to be using that approach to their game.

Thanks for the feedback.. The target i'm choosing down lane is the 10/11 board at 42 feet. (PL-31) which is basically where my line comes from... However I don't really deviate from that much, and perhaps I should. Should I move the break point out toward the 8 board (as an example) as I move inside or closer to the head pin (13 board?) tightening my angles slightly and staying in oil? Should my break point target move according to the angularity of the equipment I'm using? As an observation, when I miss slightly to the right, I often get a high hit.. but if I miss more to the right, many times I get a pocket hit with a lot of energy when using the Optimus or Fusion while playing deeper. (break point ends up being more around the 5 board)

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.. The target i'm choosing down lane is the 10/11 board at 42 feet. (PL-31) which is basically where my line comes from... However I don't really deviate from that much, and perhaps I should. Should I move the break point out toward the 8 board (as an example) as I move inside or closer to the head pin (13 board?) tightening my angles slightly and staying in oil? Should my break point target move according to the angularity of the equipment I'm using? As an observation, when I miss slightly to the right, I often get a high hit.. but if I miss more to the right, many times I get a pocket hit with a lot of energy when using the Optimus or Fusion while playing deeper. (break point ends up being more around the 5 board)
    You should always be willing to move any target area whether it is your feet, your focus target, break point etc. If the ball is going high from certain boards down lane a lot of times that will be the reaction with multiple angles. Playing that game of hook and less hook to the right is tough to play when you have to force it like that. In that situation i would try something different if possible. Just try a lot of different combinations of equipment and angles in practice and you will develop different options. Your targeting sounds like you have a good idea of what you are doing out there but like we all need to do more sometimes, just stop and think after a shot about what just happened. For instance, you just threw what looked like a good shot and came up a little light. After that someone that you can get a read off of throws a shot and his break point is a board or 2 right and strikes. Maybe at that point you keep your eyes at your same target and move your feet 1-2 left to open that angle and get it further out down lane to his break point. The thing about targeting and lane play especially on a more open shot is there are options. You just have to practice different things and be very observant of what is happening with the lane and your equipment and also others you bowling with. Like i have said before on here, don't be afraid to ask some better bowlers about how they approach lane play at your center. We can give advice on here about things like this but every center has certain qualities that may factor in that we don't know about. Keep working at it and you will start to develop strategies that work for you.

Just to add something further about targeting and how you look at the lane that really applies to most everyone. Targeting and your sight lines are something you have to realize that are a lot of times very specific. Some guys can't be comfortable throwing a shot with a big angle through the fronts or vice versa. It is like a golfer that plays a fade off the tee every shot looking at a dogleg left shot. He is standing up there and it just does not look comfortable. It is great if you can play straight up the boards or swing the lane but you would be surprised just how many top top level players just don't have that variety in their game. So you are better off developing strategies of targeting and adjustments that fit your eye and the results will be more consistent.

Thanks very much, Fortheloveofbowling. I'll keep plugging away and try to add some varieties of angles during my practice. The Tropical Breeze I just got is helping me stay in my comfort zone where I couldn't play very long before, but still need to learn how to play deeper lines and that is where my alignment just doesn't seem to be right. Now that I have a bit more consistency with my delivery I want to try moving deeper but with a more shallow angle, targeting a breakpoint closer to the headpin, and see how that works out. Maybe start making 1 and 1 moves left as the game progresses rather than the 3 and 2 moves I typically make when playing in the track area.

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    Thanks very much, Fortheloveofbowling. I'll keep plugging away and try to add some varieties of angles during my practice. The Tropical Breeze I just got is helping me stay in my comfort zone where I couldn't play very long before, but still need to learn how to play deeper lines and that is where my alignment just doesn't seem to be right. Now that I have a bit more consistency with my delivery I want to try moving deeper but with a more shallow angle, targeting a breakpoint closer to the headpin, and see how that works out. Maybe start making 1 and 1 moves left as the game progresses rather than the 3 and 2 moves I typically make when playing in the track area.
    You are on the right track. Learning to think the game when you get to a certain physical level is a must for improvement.