Thread: New Member from Florida

Default New Member from Florida

Hello,

New member here and new bowler too...

I'm 44 years old and always been a recreational bowler. Couple times a year maybe throwing a house ball. Well my wife is actually quite good at it (160s-190s consistently) and now the bug has bitten me. Hoping to pick up some good tips here to help me along the way.

I'm at that new at it and spent so much time watching videos and listening to tips from others I've actually started getting worse. It's like if I think about my release, I screw up my steps, if I focus on approach I screw up my swing (chicken wing etc). It's just not all coming together. I started using a finger tip grip about 6 weeks ago and it has been an exercise in futility having consistency with it. I've bowled 175 with it to turn around and get 75 the next game. Very very frustrated.

I guess my first bit of advice I'm requesting is as far as truly PRACTICING what is a good place to start? I'm figuring the approach as in from time I line myself up to the moment just before I release the ball. I need to take that back to basics mentality here before I get so frustrated I just hang it up. My wife says if I throw the ball 20 times and video tape it you will see 20 different styles (or lack of style for that matter).

Anyways, glad I found this forum. From what I've browsed in forums already it seems like a great community and I look forward to being a part of it.

JB

Bowling Badly with 15# Storm Optimus and 14# Storm Punch Out!

Chats: 32

Start with the feet and swing timing. don't worry about anything else until you got those worked out. Always make sure you are only working on one thing at a time. There are some really good post on here regarding footwork and timing also on YouTube.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Make sure you aren't gripping the ball. When using house balls did you use the thumb hole? If so you are probably used to gripping as those thumb holes were probably too big. I was lucky I bowled thumbless with house balls so never had to unlearn gripping of balls

Im not sure on the gripping issue really as my mind is focused on just trying to get to the foul line in decent fashion. Most of the time I think my thumb is leaving the ball before my fingers. However I have to add that the way I am holding the ball is not entirely correct. Again I am putting release on the back burner until I work out footwork, timing and pendulum arm swing. I hold the ball with my wrist straight but my palm is facing my body the whole swing. This does allow me to finish with the "shaking hands with the pins" position and get decent hook on the ball.

Ideally when I feel comfortable with approach I intend to work on developing a proper release. When that time comes though I'm going to have a bazillion questions. I've already studied a lot of slow motion videos on YouTube of different bowlers releases but when I try to do the same thing it is a disaster. Since I went from using a 14# Punch Out to a 15# Optimus a week ago I have bowled my best game (183), Had a 169 and 172 in a league game (which started with a 104 ), and have consistently been in the 140-160 range. My wife and I bowl 5 nights a week atleast 5-6 games so I'm happy with the more consistent scores and the fact my good games from a month ago are now my bad games.

Anyways, what is a good sign that I am over gripping the ball? I know when it goes straight (into the gutter) when I'm trying to hook is a pretty good indication.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Try not to get frustrated with it. If you do it will only hurt your game. Have fun get the basics down dont worry about trying to replicate other bowlers styles find your own that your comfortable with.