Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specs on bowling balls are difficult and sometimes contradictory...

Chats: 204

Thumbs down Specs on bowling balls are difficult and sometimes contradictory...

Example: Columbia300 Antics

It's old enough that it's starting to go on sale and I thought I'd read up on it a bit and at first it seemed to be an assymetric core with a solid coverstock.

Then, I read specs on another site that referred to the AR300 cover as a "pearl". Then another site claimed it (antics) had a symmetric core. Then another site referred to it's coverstock as a "hybrid"; but assymetric core.

All I wanted to do was compare the Antics and N'Sane Antics. I figured with both of them being assymetric cores with similar covers...it'd be interesting to see where the difference is. But nope.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

It's old enough that it's starting to go on sale and I thought I'd read up on it a bit and at first it seemed to be an assymetric core with a solid coverstock.

Then, I read specs on another site that referred to the AR300 cover as a "pearl". Then another site claimed it (antics) had a symmetric core. Then another site referred to it's coverstock as a "hybrid"; but assymetric core.

All I wanted to do was compare the Antics and N'Sane Antics. I figured with both of them being assymetric cores with similar covers...it'd be interesting to see where the difference is. But nope.
    Why not go to the manufactures site.

The difference between the two that I see are mainly in the differential, 0.042 in the N'Sane vs 0.054 for the Antics, I focused on the 15 lb version.

There appears to be a change to OOB surface prep, but surface changes as soon as you start using the ball.

http://www.columbia300.com/products/...d-balls/antics

http://www.columbia300.com/products/.../n-s-ne-antics

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

The Antics and N'Sane Antics are both Asymmetrical balls, because the intermediate differentials on both balls are both over 0.010 ( Antics 0.013 and N'Sane Antics .016).

with The Antics using the AR300 cover which is mostly listed as a hybrid and the N'sane using the AR300 Solid cover which is a solid

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

I feel like with the newer release balls the meaning of "solid" and "Pearl" is going away. What I've i always believed the differences between the two was that solids got traction earlier and did clear the head as easily as Pearl balls do. With radicals guru and guru mighty and motiv's tag along with maybe some others I just haven't seen the videos for those balls all seem to clear the heads much easier than they should with thier surface prep and solid cover stocks. Maybe we are reaching a point that you can't really tell a balls reaction shape just by Rg, surface prep, and coverstock type even as much as we used too
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I feel like with the newer release balls the meaning of "solid" and "Pearl" is going away. What I've i always believed the differences between the two was that solids got traction earlier and did clear the head as easily as Pearl balls do. With radicals guru and guru mighty and motiv's tag along with maybe some others I just haven't seen the videos for those balls all seem to clear the heads much easier than they should with thier surface prep and solid cover stocks. Maybe we are reaching a point that you can't really tell a balls reaction shape just by Rg, surface prep, and coverstock type even as much as we used too
    Boy, would the manufacturers love us to believe that! All we would have, then would be their marketing rhetoric to go by when choosing a bowling ball. The problem with trying to ascertain the qualities of a particular ball by watching a video is that we really don't know what the oil pattern is in term of volume of oil, as well as how many shots were thrown on the pattern before the shots we actually see. In terms of solids and pearls, try thinking of it in terms of how each reacts to the lane surface with or without the presence of oil to minimize the friction. The bottom line is that with the same surface prep (something that you will rarely see), solids find more friction in the oil and react less violently to friction than pearls that find less friction in the oil, but react more violently to friction. The differences with the same surface prep are, and always have been less substantial than we have been led to believe which is why most pearls are released with a polished surface, and most solids are released with a dull surface - preparations to maximize the differences in the materials.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Boy, would the manufacturers love us to believe that! All we would have, then would be their marketing rhetoric to go by when choosing a bowling ball. The problem with trying to ascertain the qualities of a particular ball by watching a video is that we really don't know what the oil pattern is in term of volume of oil, as well as how many shots were thrown on the pattern before the shots we actually see. In terms of solids and pearls, try thinking of it in terms of how each reacts to the lane surface with or without the presence of oil to minimize the friction. The bottom line is that with the same surface prep (something that you will rarely see), solids find more friction in the oil and react less violently to friction than pearls that find less friction in the oil, but react more violently to friction. The differences with the same surface prep are, and always have been less substantial than we have been led to believe which is why most pearls are released with a polished surface, and most solids are released with a dull surface - preparations to maximize the differences in the materials.
    You're excactly right they would which is why we're heading down that road. I've really thought that bowling ball purchasing is a guessing game to a large extent anymore. I'm not advocating listening to the marketing depts either they are the ones making this mess but with the way different balls react to different styles and conditions good luck if you think you can pick out and know what a ball is going to do just looking at a video or a couple of numbers on a picture on a web site you're better than me and most of the pro shop owners around here if they would be truthful about it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    You're excactly right they would which is why we're heading down that road. I've really thought that bowling ball purchasing is a guessing game to a large extent anymore. I'm not advocating listening to the marketing depts either they are the ones making this mess but with the way different balls react to different styles and conditions good luck if you think you can pick out and know what a ball is going to do just looking at a video or a couple of numbers on a picture on a web site you're better than me and most of the pro shop owners around here if they would be truthful about it.
    You are falling into their trap! Number One - ignore the videos. Number Two- look at the core numbers. Number Three - look at the cover material. Number Four - look at the OOB finish and forget it - you can put any surface you want on it. Number Five - Remember that layouts only change core numbers slightly, and shot shape a little more. Pick a couple of layouts you like and stick with them!

This isn't rocket sciece (though the manufacturers and retailers would like you to think it is). Keep it in perspective, and choosing a bowling ball is easy.

this is what your proshop is for

Quote Originally Posted by larry mc View Post
    this is what your proshop is for
    I still remember a couple of years ago while bowling in the Sr. U.S. Open, I overheard a VERY well-known top pro who owns at least one proshop, admit that he does not understand modern bowling balls at all. Unfortunately, there is really no certification for proshop owners. IPSEA helps, but most bowlers don't even know it exists. Some PSO's are really good and knowledgeable. Others, not so much. The only way that you can be really sure that you are getting what you need is to understand it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I still remember a couple of years ago while bowling in the Sr. U.S. Open, I overheard a VERY well-known top pro who owns at least one proshop, admit that he does not understand modern bowling balls at all. Unfortunately, there is really no certification for proshop owners. IPSEA helps, but most bowlers don't even know it exists. Some PSO's are really good and knowledgeable. Others, not so much. The only way that you can be really sure that you are getting what you need is to understand it yourself.
    Mike White?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast