Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diary of a Mad House Bowler

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    If experience is all that important....

How much better are you after 3 years than you were after 2 years?
    Hmmm....I'm not sure how to answer that.

Honestly...I averaged 165 my first sanctioned league Fall/Winter 2013/2014. I averaged 166 the following season and 162 last season. So....I guess if I extrapolate that out....20 years from now I'll be averaging 102.

Part of it is overthinking. Sure we can get real technical and make adjustments one board left/right or targeting down lane more. But some people operate by just looking at the pins and rolling the ball down lane. As long as they have a comfortable approach and release things just come together.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    You're not alone my friend.

I've probably put more time and money into bowling in the last 3 years than anyone on this board. Routine lessons, traveling to different centers, sweeps in Laughlin, sweeps in Vegas, tournaments, Sport shot leagues, local clinics, I currently own 22 bowling balls and built a rack for 12 of them, and I have more posts on this website than anyone (alive...Iceman has now been declared deceased).

And I can't even put into words how frustrating it is to see:

1) Some young kid just starting out rolling a 12lb ball thumbless and scoring in the 240s.
    2) Some old guy with an approach/release that looks like a combination of an African Tribal dance and a person having a stroke...yet somehow he rolls a 276.
    3) Hearing 190-200 average bowlers talk about how they don't even really care...they just play for fun and can average 190-200 without any real effort.
    4) Having to explain to a bowler that has bowled for over 20 YEARS...how to use thumb tape or why they should throw a plastic/urethane ball at spares.

I openly was frustrated with Iceman's game at the AVI Challenge. His form was unorthadox. He didn't 'really' have a set starting stance....it sorta varied from shot to shot. His lateral movement system was sketchy. But dammit...he just goes out there and rolls 200-220 games as if it's an entitlement.

I had to switch out VISE IT thumb slugs last Wednesday...and a guy on the other team that has been bowling in leagues for 45 years....couldn't BELIEVE that there was such a thing as interchangeable thumb slugs. He was floored.

My teammate on Tuesdays...one of the best forms I've ever seen...a lefty...kills me at Tennis....kills me at golf...probably would destroy me at chess. BUT...he's probably 50/50 on the single 7-pin...and REFUSES to use a plastic spare ball. He averages 175...because he's frustrated after last season averaging 189 and then getting thumped in sweeps...so I think he's sandbagging a bit. But he COULD average in the low 200s EASY. EASY! If he just tried. But he doesn't "try". He's always been a good bowler...he's always been a good golfer and a good tennis player. These things just come natural to him. So I spend an hour at a lesson and 18 games practicing...he shows up with one ball...a $60 Ebonite Cyclone...and outbowls me nearly every week.

In golf...I expect to get beat. I don't play more than 5-7 times a year. I used to be good at tennis but now play once or twice a year. I don't feel too bad when I lose or get beat...because I don't have a lot invested in those sports. But to see others with very little effort, or form, or technique, or work...acheive success....while I'm struggling to break a 170 every night...is absolutely maddening. It's hard as a new bowler to convince myself of the truth...which is...all this time, effort, money may be for nothing...or it at least isn't going to make up for the 25-45 year head start of alot of these bowlers.

It's why I always argue for handicap when playing MWhite. It's not that I can't ever beat him scratch...it's that he has a 35 year head start. The handicap is an attempt to even the playing field. Without it...new bowlers would almost always lose...even if they really, really performed above their usual performance level. Meanwhile...a more experienced player could just kinda go through the motions...pick up some spares...and easily win without trying that hard.
    I don't know about all of this do some bowlers style give them some sort of advantage. Yes it does. do I see any 12yr old thumbless bowlers averaging 240 No. Does that thumbless or two handed style produce some games that are absurdly high compared to their skill level. Yes but for every 240 I see the less skilled ones throw they've got a 120 waiting in the wings, so they end up averaging less than I do. Now there are some truly skilled two handers and thumbless bowlers out there I bowl with a two hander 220-230 average that can do things with the ball that I just marvel at (he throws his right side spare by spinning the ball the other way and converts very well). I also bowl with a thumbless bowler who averages about 220 but his style is different than most I see very high speed we don't have speed monitors but I would estimate 19+ and still gets enough revs to hook the ball. I would tell you either of them are better than me.

The truth of it is those with the ability to throw a decent speed 15+ with enough revs to hook the ball have a large advantage especially on THS that doesn't reward shot making. My ball speed limits me until I solve that I don't think I will ever be more than a 190-200 average bowler. I just struggle to generate the power need to consistently knock out the 10 pin a lot. You struggle consistently generating the revs needed to hook the ball until we solve those issues neither of us is going to be where we want to be.

My wife who never bowled before last summer was reaching a point where she was going to start beating me on somewhat regular basis right before her wrist surgery. Basically she just needed to improve her accuracy slightly and her spare shooting but she was throwing about 15-16 mph and getting excellent ball movement. Me I'm doing great if I can hit 14 on a good day. It does suck to know more often than not you can hit what your aiming at but know you're at a disadvantage before the ball is even thrown.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I heard a great similie today: House bowlers are like Blackjack players: you stand on twenty and hit ten! LOL

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I heard a great similie today: House bowlers are like Blackjack players: you stand on twenty and hit ten! LOL
    Very good. I will use this one.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Very good. I will use this one.
    Sounds fine, but its just Robs way of "insulting" house bowlers.

Blackjack players are far from happy if they end up on 17.

Bowlers a quite happy if the results are on 17.

If you go back to the post that started this thread, it is clear that I am not "insulting" house bowlers. I am simply trying to help those bowlers who take the time and effort to come to these boards, to get better. The post about the blackjack players was a joke, Mike, nothing more. Lighten up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12