Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diary of a Mad House Bowler

Default Diary of a Mad House Bowler

He was mad because he couldn’t carry the ten pin!

Last week I watched a typical house bowler who averages 210. Based on his accuracy, his physical game, and his ability to repeat shots, he should be averaging 230. If you too would like to average 20 pins below your ability, just follow these simple rules:

1. Don’t learn anything about bowling balls. Ignore the core completely, and make purchase decisions based solely on your belief that cover material is the only factor that determines ball reaction.

2. Always play the second arrow because it’s where the oil line is, besides, it’s magic!

3. Once you find your line, never move. After all, if it worked in the first game and then stopped, it must be something you’re doing wrong.

4. Always blame corner pin leaves on your physical game, or bad luck. Remember that any ball that hits the pocket owes you a strike.

5. Always use the same ball on both lanes. After all, the lanes are called a pair, and pairs always match, don’t they?

Chats: 256

LOL. I know several of those types.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

He's probably going at it on talent alone and basic knowledge of what the arrows are, etc. If he is averaging 210 than wow. Can't teach talent, hand/eye coordination.

Chats: 204

I don't think I'm allowed to comment on that list since for all 5 items I've developed a very complex, spreadsheet-related system that the vast majority (if not all) who learn this think is absurd.

Chats: 32

I bowled a youth/adult tournament this weekend. One of the adults was a middle aged female who was a very good bowler. She was a lefty lower speed roller but did not miss the pocket once during the first game she ended up with a 146! Missed 5 7 pins in a row each ball was thrown from the same starting position across the 3rd arrow (for a lefty) and the ball would hook around the pin and miss after the last one in the 10th frame she was joking about it. So I walked over feeling kind of bad for her This tournament was held on old wood lanes and explained that even with a plastic ball on fresh oil there is too much friction on the outside edges to get the ball that far left that early with her ball speed and that she could pick them up if she just kept the ball more over the middle arrow and throw with more angle across. She informed me that's the way she always shoots the 7 pin and it usually works. I told her that's fine then and went back to my business she never moved never had a game over 150 and missed 9 more over the next 2 games. 185 average bowler.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I bowled a youth/adult tournament this weekend. One of the adults was a middle aged female who was a very good bowler. She was a lefty lower speed roller but did not miss the pocket once during the first game she ended up with a 146! Missed 5 7 pins in a row each ball was thrown from the same starting position across the 3rd arrow (for a lefty) and the ball would hook around the pin and miss after the last one in the 10th frame she was joking about it. So I walked over feeling kind of bad for her This tournament was held on old wood lanes and explained that even with a plastic ball on fresh oil there is too much friction on the outside edges to get the ball that far left that early with her ball speed and that she could pick them up if she just kept the ball more over the middle arrow and throw with more angle across. She informed me that's the way she always shoots the 7 pin and it usually works. I told her that's fine then and went back to my business she never moved never had a game over 150 and missed 9 more over the next 2 games. 185 average bowler.
    At least you tried. That's all any of us can do.

Chats: 0

I am still fairly new to bowling and I know better than that (likely due to the information I've gained from all of you experienced guys). I always start my approach, release and aim at the same points and then adjust from there, sometimes rather quickly. We play at 3-4 different houses around where we live/work so, maybe I am more willing to adjust my setup, release and aiming points than someone that is used to the same conditions, etc. I do usually keep my release and aiming point the same a little longer than I should but I'm still working on consistency with the finger tip grip, so I want to be sure I'm releasing from and hitting the correct mark for certain before making a shift in lines. Usually, I'm right and then a minor adjustment and I'm back hitting the pocket or at least close to it.

"Last week I watched a typical house bowler who averages 210. Based on his accuracy, his physical game, and his ability to repeat shots, he should be averaging 230. If you too would like to average 20 pins below your ability, just follow these simple rules:"

Nothing against the original poster... this is more of just a frustration about myself... I just don't understand all the references to high averages I hear all around. I recently attended a Brunswick Minicamp and Chuck Gardiner referred several bowlers out averaging his son a league, and his son's average was 240. I look at the high averages around the centers where I live and there are 4 or 5 averaging 220 or better, but that is it... At the minicamp there was only one bowler with an average over 200 despite there being many league bowlers present.

Now I'm just the opposite of the guy Rob was talking about... I TRY to soak up as much knowledge as possible in order to make up for physical game issues which I'm slowly improving on. (have been bowling for about 1 year) and I'm a Mid 180's bowler. But I question what I'm missing when I see references to these kinds of averages for people who don't necessarily really understand the game.

Maybe its the kind of house shots we use here... (my center uses a white pattern) But its very frustrating to be working so hard to bring my average up to 200 (as my goal) and see posts like this or posts about people who averages in the 210's who just throw the ball right and watch it hook back and can't even tell you what their target is.

Ok.. rant over..

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    Maybe its the kind of house shots we use here... (my center uses a white pattern) But its very frustrating to be working so hard to bring my average up to 200 (as my goal) and see posts like this or posts about people who averages in the 210's who just throw the ball right and watch it hook back and can't even tell you what their target is.

Ok.. rant over..
    You're not alone my friend.

I've probably put more time and money into bowling in the last 3 years than anyone on this board. Routine lessons, traveling to different centers, sweeps in Laughlin, sweeps in Vegas, tournaments, Sport shot leagues, local clinics, I currently own 22 bowling balls and built a rack for 12 of them, and I have more posts on this website than anyone (alive...Iceman has now been declared deceased).

And I can't even put into words how frustrating it is to see:

1) Some young kid just starting out rolling a 12lb ball thumbless and scoring in the 240s.
    2) Some old guy with an approach/release that looks like a combination of an African Tribal dance and a person having a stroke...yet somehow he rolls a 276.
    3) Hearing 190-200 average bowlers talk about how they don't even really care...they just play for fun and can average 190-200 without any real effort.
    4) Having to explain to a bowler that has bowled for over 20 YEARS...how to use thumb tape or why they should throw a plastic/urethane ball at spares.

I openly was frustrated with Iceman's game at the AVI Challenge. His form was unorthadox. He didn't 'really' have a set starting stance....it sorta varied from shot to shot. His lateral movement system was sketchy. But dammit...he just goes out there and rolls 200-220 games as if it's an entitlement.

I had to switch out VISE IT thumb slugs last Wednesday...and a guy on the other team that has been bowling in leagues for 45 years....couldn't BELIEVE that there was such a thing as interchangeable thumb slugs. He was floored.

My teammate on Tuesdays...one of the best forms I've ever seen...a lefty...kills me at Tennis....kills me at golf...probably would destroy me at chess. BUT...he's probably 50/50 on the single 7-pin...and REFUSES to use a plastic spare ball. He averages 175...because he's frustrated after last season averaging 189 and then getting thumped in sweeps...so I think he's sandbagging a bit. But he COULD average in the low 200s EASY. EASY! If he just tried. But he doesn't "try". He's always been a good bowler...he's always been a good golfer and a good tennis player. These things just come natural to him. So I spend an hour at a lesson and 18 games practicing...he shows up with one ball...a $60 Ebonite Cyclone...and outbowls me nearly every week.

In golf...I expect to get beat. I don't play more than 5-7 times a year. I used to be good at tennis but now play once or twice a year. I don't feel too bad when I lose or get beat...because I don't have a lot invested in those sports. But to see others with very little effort, or form, or technique, or work...acheive success....while I'm struggling to break a 170 every night...is absolutely maddening. It's hard as a new bowler to convince myself of the truth...which is...all this time, effort, money may be for nothing...or it at least isn't going to make up for the 25-45 year head start of alot of these bowlers.

It's why I always argue for handicap when playing MWhite. It's not that I can't ever beat him scratch...it's that he has a 35 year head start. The handicap is an attempt to even the playing field. Without it...new bowlers would almost always lose...even if they really, really performed above their usual performance level. Meanwhile...a more experienced player could just kinda go through the motions...pick up some spares...and easily win without trying that hard.
    Last edited by Aslan; 04-22-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've probably put more time and money into bowling in the last 3 years than anyone on this board. Routine lessons, traveling to different centers, sweeps in Laughlin, sweeps in Vegas, tournaments, Sport shot leagues, local clinics, I currently own 22 bowling balls and built a rack for 12 of them, and I have more posts on this website than anyone (alive...Iceman has now been declared deceased).
    Based on my purchases over the last 2 years, I'd say I've put (gross) far more money into bowling.

I just have the good sense to sell (at a profit) most of what I purchase.

And my bowling itself has been profitable mainly due to good sweeper showings.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    It's why I always argue for handicap when playing MWhite. It's not that I can't ever beat him scratch...it's that he has a 35 year head start. The handicap is an attempt to even the playing field. Without it...new bowlers would almost always lose...even if they really, really performed above their usual performance level. Meanwhile...a more experienced player could just kinda go through the motions...pick up some spares...and easily win without trying that hard.
    I took 20 years away from the game, coming back in summer of 2012.

I've only been back for less than 3 years, why should you get "credit" for all those years I didn't bowl?

If experience is all that important....

How much better are you after 3 years than you were after 2 years?

That 50% more experience.

What I have from bowling back in the day is known as bowling IQ.

I know what things are a likely to work, and what is a waste of time trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast