BRUNSWICK FORTERA INTRIGUE REVIEW

Ball Weight: 15 lbs.
Drill Pattern: 75* x 4 3/4” x 40*
PAP: 4 5/8” x 0” (up)
SPEED: 18.0 – 18.5 mph (release)
TILT: 17*

Review:

I drilled the Brunswick Fortera Intrigue to be the second most aggressive ball in my bag, behind only the Mastermind Intellect, and it has not disappointed. With the 75* x 4 3/4” x 40* drill pattern, the pin ended up above my ring finger with the PSA about 1/2” to the RIGHT of my thumb (I’m left handed). I did not need a weight hole, but have the option to add one if needed. I have used the Fortera Intrigue on a wide variety of lane conditions. I will post them below, as well as a brief synopsis of how the ball performed.

41 FT. TYPICAL HOUSE SHOT:

As you would imagine on a typical house shot (THS), I was able to play inside and create a lot of area with the Fortera Intrigue, with a good amount of “miss room”. The great thing about the Fortera Intrigue is that I am able to keep migrating further into the lane with my target and my feet and still have very good pin carry, which is not always true of other, high end, fairly aggressive balls I have reviewed and used in the past. Being on the left side allows me to stay further out longer, but having the ability to move inside and know you can carry is a valuable tool for all bowlers to have, and the Fortera Intrigue gives me that peace of mind. I liked the box finish, but I also used this ball quite a bit sanded to 2000 with no polish, and with less traffic on the left side, this surface was absolutely incredible on this ball. It allowed me to play deeper while actually INCREASING my carry percentage over playing straighter with the polish on the ball. This ball takes very well to surface adjustments and do not be afraid to tune it to the specific shot on the lanes, the Fortera Intrigue can handle it beautifully.

KEGEL “ABBEY ROAD” OIL PATTERN:

This 40ft. Challenge Series pattern proved to be a very interesting pattern for the Fortera Intrigue. I tried it on the fresh at box finish and really liked the look I got. I was able to play 14 to 9 and move in as the pattern transitioned, keeping pin carry the same as I moved. I then used it sanded at 2000 and found that even with 40ft. of oil, the Fortera Intrigue was getting too early of a read to get consistent pin carry. But, I bowled a (5) game tournament block on the pattern, and by midway through game three, I was able to get further inside with the Fortera Intrigue and found a very nice ball reaction, where other balls were laboring to get back to the pocket, and this was at the 2000 sanded cover stock prep. This was very impressive to me, and having the Fortera Intrigue to go to later in a block when others were starting to struggle with pin carry and angle to the pocket, gave me a leg up on other bowlers. In the tournament I used it, I was out of the cash cut until I took out the Fortera Intrigue the last game and a half, and ended up pulling out a check when it looked like I might not cash. The Fortera Intrigue will be my go to ball going forward on carry down and late block adjustments when I need to get further inside.

KEGEL ROUTE “66” OIL PATTERN:

This 45ft. Challenge Series oil pattern is by far my favorite oil pattern for the Fortera Intrigue. I was able to bowl a (6) game block, all with the Fortera Intrigue at the 2000 sanded surface. The extra length of this pattern brought out the best in the Fortera Intrigue, as I was able to start deeper, around 17-18 at the arrows, and actually migrate left, out to about 13-14 at the arrows as the block progressed. Pin carry was phenomenal, and the ball never made the “herky-jerky” type of motion some balls do as the oil pattern breaks down. I had games of 226, 218, 240, 289, 235, 248. It was a very readable reaction, and strong off the back of the pattern. The Fortera Intrigue has to be your go to benchmark ball on longer and/or medium-heavy blend oil patterns.

KEGEL “BROADWAY” OIL PATTERN:

I used the Fortera Intrigue on this 37ft. Challenge Series pattern, and found that this was the only pattern where I had a hard time using the ball for an entire block at the 2000 sanded finish, but I did like the look of the ball at box finish on this pattern for a five game set. I believe the shorter length of the pattern really steers away from the strong nature of a sanded Fortera Intrigue, and I was able to get to the pocket from multiple angles, but pin carry was not as good as some of the longer or heavier oil patterns I have used the Fortera Intrigue on at the 2000 sanded surface. But, the Fortera Intrigue takes to cover changes very well, and I applied some Brunswick Royal Shine to the cover stock, and transformed the Fortera Intrigue from a ball I may have to leave in the bag, to one that dominated the Kegel Broadway oil pattern. The extra length provided by applying the Royal Shine allowed the Fortera Intrigue to get through the front part of the lane easily, while retaining enough energy to strike consistently from multiple angles. This is another great reason to own more than one Fortera Intrigue, keep one dull for the heavier patterns, and have one shined with Royal Shine for the shorter and broken down oil patterns. I was pleasantly surprised with the results after the cover change, and shows that the Fortera Intrigue really is a great all around bowling ball.

In closing, I would like to thank everyone at Brunswick Bowling for making another winner. Brunswick truly has the best, most versatile lineup around. Showing what the Fortera Intrigue can do across a variety of oil patterns, from THS to long and short Challenge Series patterns, will help bowlers see the versatility of the Fortera Intrigue, and just how easily this ball can be used on a wide array of conditions. It is the first ball out of my bag on medium-heavy patterns, and also when the lanes carry down, I grab the sanded Fortera Intrigue, move inside and have fun. I hope you enjoyed my review of the Brunswick Fortera Intrigue bowling ball, good luck and good bowling everyone. Go get your Fortera Intrigue today!

James Goulding III
Brunswick Ball Tester