PAP: 4 5/8” x 0”
17* Tilt
18.0 – 18.5 MPH

Brunswick Melee Jab
Layout: 4 3/4” x 65*, pin under grip center
X-hole: None

Review:

40ft. House Pattern, Medium-Heavy Blend

I drilled the Melee Jab pin under to be a smooth, yet longer version of the Melee Cross, and that’s exactly what I got. Using this ball on fresh THS is great, especially when I have room left to wheel it off of, as it creates extra area and “miss room”. Being on the left side, I am able to play straighter with less aggressive equipment while still being able to “bang on it”, which is why the Melee Jab was a perfect fit for my game. My first three game set on my league was a 715 with games of 237, 226, 252. The ball reaction is very clean through the heads and mid lane, but still gives a strong heavy roll into the pocket. I believe the combination of the strong symmetrical motor of the Melee core, as well as the pearl cover stock, both allow this ball to achieve a more down lane type of hook, while still rolling heavy, which is the type of reaction you want from a versatile pearl. As far as comparison to other equipment, I played 5 boards further left with my feet, and 3 boards further left with my eyes than with the Melee Cross with a similar layout. I was also about 3 boards further left with my feet with the same target at the arrows as my Melee, showing just how well the Melee Jab fits into the lineup. If you’re looking for that benchmark pearl ball in your lineup, then pick up a Melee Jab.

Team USA Mexico City Oil Pattern

I was curious how the Melee Jab would handle the longer oil pattern (45ft.) that Mexico City lays down, and was actually pleasantly surprised with the results. With a 4 3/4” pin under layout, the Melee Jab starts its move early enough to give a more readable reaction on this oil pattern. If I had a long pin over layout, I don’t feel it would have given me the look I desired on this longer oil pattern. Carry percentage was the only issue on this pattern when it was fresh, but after throwing a few games, and breaking down the pattern (with the help of the Melee Cross to burn up a spot), the Melee Jab really shined. It’s a perfect compliment to the Melee Cross, which worked great on Mexico City until they broke down, and then I could move right to the Melee Jab and pick up where the Melee Cross left off, playing a similar part of the lane. I shot games of 219, 218, 227 (fresh oil) and then games of 238, 247, 269 on the burn. On this pattern, I played 4 boards further left with my feet and 2 boards further left with my target than the Melee Cross. Also, I was 2 boards further left and 1 board further left with my target than I was with the Melee on Mexico City.

Team USA Los Angeles Oil Pattern

The Team USA Los Angeles oil pattern is a 36ft. pattern, which was a great test to see how the Melee Jab would react to the shorter length, and it really shined on the fresh oil. I was able to start left, placing the ball down around 11, catching my break point at the 5 board down lane, and the ball reaction was incredible. Even as I had to move inside as the oil pattern wore down, I was still able to get tremendous pin carry, which is something that many balls struggle with as you increase the angle off of your hand. I was able to play much straighter than I could with my original Melee or Melee Cross on this shorter oil pattern, and having that pearl cover stock really makes a huge difference, especially on these type of shorter oil patterns. I played 6 further left with my feet and 3 further left with my target than the Melee Cross, and I was able to play 3 further left with my feet and the same target as the Melee. Overall, I was very pleased with how the Melee Jab held up on this shorter pattern. It will be the ball I start with going forward, and if they break down further I can go to my Ringer Platinum Pearl and then the Strike King when they really break down.

Overall Impression

I would say that overall the Melee Jab is a must own for any bowler looking to add a ball that can handle a variety of lane conditions, from medium blends to shorter patterns. The cover stock is very surface adjustment friendly, so don’t be afraid to sand or polish the cover stock to your liking. This ball fits perfectly behind the Melee Cross (very aggressive) and the Melee (medium oil monster) in my arsenal, and it will be in my bag for a long time. If you’re a one day a week bowler, this ball will help get you the most bang for your buck, as the pearl cover will widen the amount of lane conditions you can hit with one ball, especially as patterns break down. Also, if you’re the serious, competitive bowler such as me, then this ball HAS to be in your bag at all times. I can’t wait to use it on an even wider variety of flatter tournament conditions and see this ball shine. If you’re looking for your next benchmark pearl ball, or looking to fill that gap between the super aggressive stuff and the milder reacting balls, check out the Brunswick Melee Jab, you’ll be glad you did!

James Goulding III
Brunswick Ball Tester