Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get coaching for a good release to properly use any bowling ball.......

Chats: 0

Default Get coaching for a good release to properly use any bowling ball.......

Whether it is an asymmetric or symmetric fingertip bowling ball you have to get some coaching on how to make a proper release. You need a decent release to make any ball you get to work right. An expensive bowling ball will not correct a bad release. An asymmetric ball will magnify an improper release technique. A proper release will make any ball you get work the way it should depending on how you adjust for the lanes you are bowling on. It is just like golf. If you don't have the proper swing the ball will not fly right no matter how expensive the clubs are. The right technique in the swing and release of a bowling ball or golf club makes them work like they should.

When you do get the hang of a good release in bowling then it is a matter of adjusting to the lane conditions and using the correct ball for those conditions.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Add to that you really do need strong wrists otherwise you will end up just coming over the top of the ball. I do wrist curls with 15 pound weights and do multiple reps of 40. Has definitely helped

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Add to that you really do need strong wrists otherwise you will end up just coming over the top of the ball. I do wrist curls with 15 pound weights and do multiple reps of 40. Has definitely helped
    Bad timing and body positions are more of a detriment in regards to coming over the top than wrist strength.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Bad timing and body positions are more of a detriment in regards to coming over the top than wrist strength.
    Probably true but to me those are easier to correct. You can't correct a bad release (ie not staying behind the ball) with weak wrists short of getting a wrist support.

Chats: 0

Probably true but to me those are easier to correct. You can't correct a bad release (ie not staying behind the ball) with weak wrists short of getting a wrist support.
    I used to bowl with a wrist support for a long time. When I decided to try bowling without one I found out that as long as I didn't muscle the ball in the downswing I could bowl without it. I even cup my wrist to make the balls I have work the way I want to. Plus what made things easier on my wrist was going from a cupped wrist on my approach to an uncupped wrist at the release. I saw this technique on a bowling instruction video. I seemed to get better revs doing it that way. I never use a wrist support now.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Just to clarify for people having these issues that may want to realize the possible problem. It is not wrist strength.....Your hand is an extension of your shoulder. When you don't stay in a lower position at the foul line and raise up you tend to roll your shoulder forward. The shoulder must stay behind the shot as well. As i said the hand is the ending extension of the shoulder. Raise up-roll your shoulder-turn your elbow-turn your hand. Kids, smaller women and men, older people most of which don't have monster wrists and there are plenty of those people that roll the ball just fine....Fundamentals in this game and not necessarily strength is what makes for good shot making.

At some point you will have to curl your wrist so your fingers are below the equator of the ball vs being on top of it. That takes wrist strength or a wrist guard.

That's all I have been hearing: Stay behind the ball.

Unless I have been reading it all wrong.

Chats: 32

At some point you will have to curl your wrist so your fingers are below the equator of the ball vs being on top of it. That takes wrist strength or a wrist guard.

That's all I have been hearing: Stay behind the ball.

Unless I have been reading it all wrong.
    I think the misunderstanding here is type of release. Strong cupped release ala Mark Roth does require some wrist strength. Modern release say like Sean Rash is more technique the wrist stays below the equator of the ball instead of the wrist being manually cupped up. Could be wrong.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I think the misunderstanding here is type of release. Strong cupped release ala Mark Roth does require some wrist strength. Modern release say like Sean Rash is more technique the wrist stays below the equator of the ball instead of the wrist being manually cupped up. Could be wrong.
    Both instances wrist is firm to keep hand behind the ball/fingers below equator. Break your wrist and hand instantly goes to top of ball which is not good when trying to hook. You'll get a helicopter type spin

Both instances wrist is firm to keep hand behind the ball/fingers below equator. Break your wrist and hand instantly goes to top of ball which is not good when trying to hook. You'll get a helicopter type spin
    I had exactly this problem earlier this season, it happened as I was getting used to a new ball and for a short time I had no clue what I was doing wrong. I fact at first I thought it was something I had done to the ball surface. As I went out to practice one day I realized I wasn't staying behind the ball and had even stopped following through properly. I had to remind myself to stay behind the ball and follow through and things returned to normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast