Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it necessay to have more then two balls to bowl in a THS league?

Chats: 0

Default Is it necessay to have more then two balls to bowl in a THS league?

I have a urethane Blue Hammer and a Raw Hammer Anger ball that I use on our league nights. The Blue has a 2000 dull surface and the Anger has a 4000 polished surface. On some nights the conditions are right for the Anger ball to be used as the strike ball and the Blue for spares. Other times I have to use the Blue for the strike ball and for spares.

They seem to work okay for me at our Brunswick house. I was wondering if I need a ball that works between these two balls? If you bowl in a THS league maybe you can get away with using only two balls with different surfaces as long as they are set up for the house you are in. I see folks on our league always using one ball. These folks are usually the people that have low averages and throw straight balls for everything.

How many balls do you use in THS leagues?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

So, you've talked about the surface on a urethane ball, and the surface on a reactive resin ball. What about the RG? What about the differential. What about the shape of the core? Is it symmetrical or asymmetrical? Personally, I bring four balls plus a spare ball for leagues on a THS, and the balls are different depending on the center, the particular lanes being bowled, and the weather conditions. I too, see see folks using one ball. I also see folks using two balls that are very similar. I also see folks using two balls that are at so different as to offer very few options (you). The main thing is to understand the balls you bring, and to have a plan for how to use them.

I'll take four balls with me. Some nights I'll transition from my strongest to weakest equipment as the night wears on. Some places the shot hardly changes, others dry up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    So, you've talked about the surface on a urethane ball, and the surface on a reactive resin ball. What about the RG? What about the differential. What about the shape of the core? Is it symmetrical or asymmetrical? Personally, I bring four balls plus a spare ball for leagues on a THS, and the balls are different depending on the center, the particular lanes being bowled, and the weather conditions. I too, see see folks using one ball. I also see folks using two balls that are very similar. I also see folks using two balls that are at so different as to offer very few options (you). The main thing is to understand the balls you bring, and to have a plan for how to use them.
    The Blue Hammer has a symmetric core with an RG 2.57 and a differential of .032. The Hammer Anger ball has a symmetric core with an RG 2.50 and a differential of .045 to .050.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 204

I have a 4-ball roller and a 2-ball shoulder bag. When I switch arsenals, I'll go back down to 5 balls (roller + joey). If I only took 3 balls to league night…I'd have to carry 2 different bags or still take the roller with one less ball. Why bother?

Do I usually NEED more than 3 balls? No. Unless it's a tournament where they don't re-oil between squads…I'd only need 3 per house that I bowl at. House 1 would be the 900G/Hammer/spare. House 2 would be the Hammer/Encounter (A)/spare.

The problem with bringing less is…like last Tuesday…you get placed on a lane near the door or a lane where 3 league guys just got done practicing…and now you're wishing you had those other two balls because your weakest is going through the middle and you're 10 boards left of normal.

Can people bowl well;
    - with old equipment?
    - with only one ball?
    - without a spare ball?
    - bringing their hand up the side the ball?
    - throwing a back-up ball?

Sure. Statistically they are at a disadvantage….but folks like that roll 600s and even an occasional 300. The real question is, "If you knew it would cost you just 1/3 of your 600 series each season…would you take it easy on your back/shoulder and just carry 3 balls?" Because at the end of the day…thats probably the trade-off.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I usually bring a 3 ball bag and will maybe use 2 of the 3 balls.
    PauL757

Chats: 256

My 6 main balls typically live in the trunk of my car. On a typical league night I will just take my 4 ball roller in. The 2 ball tote usually stays in the trunk unless I am bowling a tournament, or I go out and get it if needed during the night I am bowling.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I use one and only one. Why? Because I don't think I'd honestly do any better if I had 12 balls to pick from. I adjust based on conditions and have a good time. When you bowl on the same lanes all the time, it makes it a whole lot easier. If I left and went to a different house, I'd be in major trouble, but I know that darn well. I am not a tournament bowler. I just have fun and enjoy my time.

The 2 ball tote usually stays in the trunk unless I am bowling a tournament, or I go out and get it if needed during the night I am bowling.

This is how I do it. I have a three ball roller that goes in with me and a two ball tote that stays in the car.
    Last edited by Mgower; 07-18-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Chats: 221

I usually take 4 plus my spare ball. Most days I will only use 2 but you never know so I like to be prepared
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast