Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bowling before the days of reactive ball technology

Chats: 0

Back in the day when I was first serious about bowling, an "arsenal" usually consisted of a rubber ball for drier lanes, and a urethane for oilier lanes. Most guys were just beginning to get interested in the Columbia Yellow Dot, but most guys still bowled with rubber.

I hear you about the only one ball in the 1980s and mine was the Black Hammer . I loved that ball guess that is why of the 4 balls I have 2 are hammers.

My late 80's/early 90's rotating arsenal for the Sunday Youth Classic travel league was:

Red pearl Fab Hammer
    Cobalt Rhino
    LT-48 (my 300 ball)
    White dot for spares

When I was a sophomore bowling in college at MSU we were also bowling in a men's league at Royal Scot. I never rolled a bleeder, but a few of us also did some work in the pro shop off and on, and we drilled some of these new balls called the Nu-Line X-Calibur.

The original Reactive Resin ball. The rest is history.

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPI View Post
    My late 80's/early 90's rotating arsenal for the Sunday Youth Classic travel league was:

Red pearl Fab Hammer
    Cobalt Rhino
    LT-48 (my 300 ball)
    White dot for spares

When I was a sophomore bowling in college at MSU we were also bowling in a men's league at Royal Scot. I never rolled a bleeder, but a few of us also did some work in the pro shop off and on, and we drilled some of these new balls called the Nu-Line X-Calibur.

The original Reactive Resin ball. The rest is history.
    I was the first person around here to get one of the Nu-Line X-Calibur
    balls and man did that ball hook a ton back then. A bunch of the guys
    around here and one of the Pros on the Regional Tour started calling
    me Amleto Monacelli Jr. because I hooked the ball so much.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiewoodard57 View Post
    I hear you about the only one ball in the 1980s and mine was the Black Hammer . I loved that ball guess that is why of the 4 balls I have 2 are hammers.
    I had a Black Hammer in the early 90s, loved it... Just got a new Blue Hammer.

Where I bowled in the early '80s, on league night there might be 2 or 3 people that brought 2 balls. My wife was one. She used her new Black Hammer almost exclusively, but there were a couple of houses where she brought her old cheap plastic ball along for picking up a 10 pin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123