Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iis it worse to play on lanes that have been used for open play vs a league

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Most houses here in Vegas hold the actual specs of their oil patterns very close to the vest. In many cases, only the head mechanic actually knows what the pattern is and even he is often told by center management not to reveal it to the bowlers. Let me know when you want some company for a practice session, and I'll see if I can show you how to determine what the pattern is.
    Red Rock is a good example of heavy oil around noon. Have you picked up an information on what we usually bowl on during winter league? It seems that is changes from fall to spring. Gold Coast is always oily, but I practice there early friday, no pot game. Southpoint was interesting when Mike drilled the Mastermind. The line there was to pick up as much oil as possible and the lanes were fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Red Rock is a good example of heavy oil around noon. Have you picked up an information on what we usually bowl on during winter league? It seems that is changes from fall to spring. Gold Coast is always oily, but I practice there early friday, no pot game. Southpoint was interesting when Mike drilled the Mastermind. The line there was to pick up as much oil as possible and the lanes were fresh.
    I think what you are seeing at Red Rock is that the change in weather from winter to summer makes quite a difference. From what I know, they do occasionally try new products for oiling and cleaning, but rarely change the pattern. The heavy oil that you see in the middle before noon leagues is a result of the house condition that creates "the Great Wall at Red Rock." The biggest difference that you are seeing among the three houses is not the oil condition, but the condition of the lanes. Starting with Red Rock, all of the high average leagues are bowled on the high end of the house, therefore the track area on the lanes at the high end are pretty chewed up. At Gold Coast, the part of the house where you are bowling makes a big difference in that there are restaurants with ovens on the first floor that affect how the lanes play. The big thing at the Gold Coast is not that there is more oil, but that the back ends are not as clean, making them tighter down lane. Southpoint is where the World Series of Bowling is held every year, at that high volume of high rev bowlers has taken its toll on the lane surfaces. Also, at Southpoint, the two sides of the house play totally differently, which makes a big difference in how you play the lanes. Hope this helps.

Chats: 204

I like Red Rock. It's gorgeous and I average 206 there. Last time I bowled there I beat Iceman scratch with a 234.

Is the new bowling center at Southpointe open to the public or is it just for PBA stuff like Reno?

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I like Red Rock. It's gorgeous and I average 206 there. Last time I bowled there I beat Iceman scratch with a 234.

Is the new bowling center at Southpointe open to the public or is it just for PBA stuff like Reno?
    The Bowling Plaza at Southpoint is only used for tournaments, however some of them are small events sponsored by Southpoint so it is possible to bowl there. I bowled one ten-gamer there, and it really is an awesome environment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12