Thread: Going from Youth to Adult

Default Going from Youth to Adult

I'm planning on going Adult next fall. I'll be in college and I don't see any reasons to remain in Youth. I'm a little unsure how going Adult will work, since I don't turn 18 until early September. Will this cause any issues or will it be okay since payouts aren't until later in the season? How easy is it to find leagues that allow 18 year olds? I'd like to be in a more competitive league and have considered sport and maybe even scratch.
    Arsenal: Hammer Rhythm Pin Up, Hammer Rhythm Pin Down, Hammer Spike Black/Blue, Ebonite Maxim
    USBC Sanctioned Average: 194
    High Game: 269
    High Series: 704

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Josch View Post
    I'm planning on going Adult next fall. I'll be in college and I don't see any reasons to remain in Youth. I'm a little unsure how going Adult will work, since I don't turn 18 until early September. Will this cause any issues or will it be okay since payouts aren't until later in the season? How easy is it to find leagues that allow 18 year olds? I'd like to be in a more competitive league and have considered sport and maybe even scratch.
    Age really isn't the problem with joining an Adult league. You might need to fill out an extra form, thats all.

However if you're just going to college, you might want to hold off joining an adult league until you get educated on the eligibility rules for college sports.

If your school has a bowling team, having bowled in an Adult league may make you ineligible if things aren't handled properly ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Age really isn't the problem with joining an Adult league. You might need to fill out an extra form, thats all.

However if you're just going to college, you might want to hold off joining an adult league until you get educated on the eligibility rules for college sports.

If your school has a bowling team, having bowled in an Adult league may make you ineligible if things aren't handled properly ahead of time.
    I've checked with the coach and there are no eligibility issues. The only thing that can effect USBC Collegiate eligibility would be joining the PBA.
    Arsenal: Hammer Rhythm Pin Up, Hammer Rhythm Pin Down, Hammer Spike Black/Blue, Ebonite Maxim

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Do you bowl for your high school team?

If so, you should contact your high school guidance office to determine if joining a USBC-certified league will affect your high school eligibility. In some states, joining a USBC adult league will require you to do something specific with prize money, or else you'll be rendered ineligible for scholastic competition.

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Do you bowl for your high school team?

If so, you should contact your high school guidance office to determine if joining a USBC-certified league will affect your high school eligibility. In some states, joining a USBC adult league will require you to do something specific with prize money, or else you'll be rendered ineligible for scholastic competition.
    My high school didn't have a team and I'm done with high school as of last week. Collegiate eligibility won't be an issue either. I'm just worried that not turning 18 until September will cause some sort of issue with joining an adult league.

Chats: 32

Should not be a problem as long as you don't intend on bowling in youth leagues or tournaments anymore.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

I've checked with the coach and there are no eligibility issues. The only thing that can effect USBC Collegiate eligibility would be joining the PBA.
    http://www.ncaa.org/amateurism

Prize money above actual and necessary expenses

Adult bowling doesn't eliminate your eligibility to attend college, but it can eliminate your ability to compete in college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/amateurism

Prize money above actual and necessary expenses

Adult bowling doesn't eliminate your eligibility to attend college, but it can eliminate your ability to compete in college sports.
    Bowling isn't an NCAA male sport, so it doesn't apply.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

My high school didn't have a team and I'm done with high school as of last week. Collegiate eligibility won't be an issue either. I'm just worried that not turning 18 until September will cause some sort of issue with joining an adult league.
    I don't think most adult leagues require that you be an adult from a legal perspective in order to bowl. I started in an adult league at 16 and they did have a rule stating you had to be at least 16 years old.
    John