Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Energy storage of bowling ball

Is leaving a 1 and 5 pin rare? I've never seen it.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Is leaving a 1 and 5 pin rare? I've never seen it.
    I've seen 1-5 leaves usually with the kids bowling but an adult can do it. Generally involves a bad shot and pins coming back and tripping some out on either side. I left a 1-5-7 once that I remember.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    If you hit the "pocket" and leave a 6 pin, you have too loose a definition of the "pocket".
    True...it seems like a 6-pin leave would require either a very, very light hit that sends the 3-pin back rather than to the right....or you'd have a ball that barely kicked the 3-pin right into the gutter. I think I leave more 6-10s than single 6-pins. Usually if you can't hit the 6...then you can't hit the 10. Lets consult Pinpal for accurate stats:

(4th most common leave) 6-pin: 309/413 = 74%

(2nd most common leave) 6-10: 354/550 = 64%

That makes sense. Leaving just the 6 is harder than the 6-10...but the 6-10 adds a slight degree of difficulty because you can hit left of the 6-pin and chop the 6-10.

The other top 5 are: 10-pin (1st), 7-pin (3rd), and 4-pin (5th). All with pick-up rates between 62-72%.

However...another interesting note...if I change the date range to only include the last YEAR...the single 4-pin gets bumped to 6th and the 1-2-4 is in the 5th spot...298 times in the past year.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 204

I once left a 2-7-8 split in Game 2 and then a 3-9-10 in Game 3...made both of them...but I can't remember the last time I left a 1-5 or 1-5-7 or 1-5-10.

Accrording to Pinpal:

1-5-10 (2x)
    1-5-7 (0x)
    1-5 (0x)

I have left the 1-8-9 (1x)...which I guess is almost as bad.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    True...it seems like a 6-pin leave would require either a very, very light hit that sends the 3-pin back rather than to the right....or you'd have a ball that barely kicked the 3-pin right into the gutter. I think I leave more 6-10s than single 6-pins. Usually if you can't hit the 6...then you can't hit the 10. Lets consult Pinpal for accurate stats:
    Leaving the 6 pin is usually hitting fairly high on the head pin such that the ball hits a little bit of the 3 pin sending it into the right gutter without touching the 6 pin.

If the 3 pin doesn't bounce off the wall enough, you end up leaving both the 6 and 10.

I have occasionally left a light pocket 6 pin, but it's rare even with my ball reaction.

In this video at 1:50 I leave a 6 pin where the ball comes up high, and a 3:08 I almost leave a 6 pin hitting light.

As for the 6-10, in my last session of league before heading to Laughlin for sweepers, in game 3 I started with the front 9 , then got one pointed in a bit too much and left the 6-10, made the spare, then rang a 10 pin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234