Thread: Question about ball and middle road pattern

Default Question about ball and middle road pattern

Hi all, I joined a summer league that lays down a specific pattern for two weeks. Last week (and this week) is the Middle Road pattern. I am throwing a Storm Optimus with lower revs. My ball doesn't have any aggressive reaction on a THS, and when throwing on the Middle Road pattern the ball was basically a boat anchor. When I played up the 2nd-3rd arrows the ball slid. I moved to the right (Right hander) and put the ball between 1st-2nd arrow and ball continued to slide and wouldn't recover. I ended up moving far right and sending the ball up the 2nd arrow like how the older urethane balls would be thrown. While that worked fine, I was wondering if a better solution would have been to go to a completely different ball, and if so what would be a decent ball/drill layout for lower revs @ 15mph? I also want to mention I slowed the ball speed way down so that it would react but it went into the pocket with no force, can't remember the exact term for it. The Optimus is the only ball I have currently.
    TIA

Assuming you have the Out of Box finish, you would have not choice but to slow down more and/or move outside of the 1 arrow. The OOB finish is probably not reading the pattern and just skidding. The correct answer, however, would be to change the surface of the optimus to accommodate. Sanding it down to 1000 or 2000 grit would give it a chance to read the oil as it goes down the lane instead of just hydroplaning for 39 feet.

The good news is, you may like your optimus more with a rougher finish so you get more of a reaction on the THS as well. My suggestion would be to go to 2000. If it hooks too early, move up to 4000. If it still skids too long and never hooks, try 1000. The lower the grit number the earlier the ball will hook for a given lane condition.

Caution.. you may end up finding out that your new finish works well on the Middle Road pattern, but now on your THS you are forced to play far deeper or find that your ball is hooking TOO early.. so you may have to change the surface back.

Chats: 32

When I have played on middle road pattern I typically play over 15 out to about 10 as my break point. By the formula 39-21=11 as the break point you should use. Be very careful of playing far to the right on this pattern as the heavier oil only goes out to about 15 feet if your using any surface at all you'll dry that line out quick and the ball will hit like a marshmallow. These challenge patterns are more difficult than most of our normal THS shots and lower scores should be expected. Honestly even these challenge patterns can show us what some of the deficiencies are in our games. You may need to work on release some and improve it to generate additional revs. I would experiment with adding additional surface to your Optimus if that's you only ball. Do be aware of what Bob stated as you may need to change it back or adjust for your regular house shot latter.

Most of us are used to playing on house shots where there is very little to no oil on the outside of 10 area and we select are balls accordingly and just believe we can start off swinging the ball because the dry is already there. On this pattern there is at least some oil all the way out to the second board (not a lot but some) so the dry area has to be created first. Really balls that can be played with more surface and less swing are the way to start on most more challenging patterns. Then once the pattern starts to open up switch to your less surfaced balls and you have room to swing it. I'm a big fan of challenge and sport shots as they help us learn to be better bowlers and what we need to work on.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    When I have played on middle road pattern I typically play over 15 out to about 10 as my break point. By the formula 39-21=11 as the break point you should use. Be very careful of playing far to the right on this pattern as the heavier oil only goes out to about 15 feet if your using any surface at all you'll dry that line out quick and the ball will hit like a marshmallow. These challenge patterns are more difficult than most of our normal THS shots and lower scores should be expected. Honestly even these challenge patterns can show us what some of the deficiencies are in our games. You may need to work on release some and improve it to generate additional revs. I would experiment with adding additional surface to your Optimus if that's you only ball. Do be aware of what Bob stated as you may need to change it back or adjust for your regular house shot latter.

Most of us are used to playing on house shots where there is very little to no oil on the outside of 10 area and we select are balls accordingly and just believe we can start off swinging the ball because the dry is already there. On this pattern there is at least some oil all the way out to the second board (not a lot but some) so the dry area has to be created first. Really balls that can be played with more surface and less swing are the way to start on most more challenging patterns. Then once the pattern starts to open up switch to your less surfaced balls and you have room to swing it. I'm a big fan of challenge and sport shots as they help us learn to be better bowlers and what we need to work on.
    By the formula 39-21=11 as the break point you should use.

I know it's been over thirty years since I taught math and even longer since I learned basic arithmetic, but I'm pretty sure that 39 minus 21 is still equal to 18.

To be even pickier, I think you really meant the formula Pattern length-31=the number of the board as the ball exits the pattern. This is not the same as the break point.
    John

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    By the formula 39-21=11 as the break point you should use.

I know it's been over thirty years since I taught math and even longer since I learned basic arithmetic, but I'm pretty sure that 39 minus 21 is still equal to 18.

To be even pickier, I think you really meant the formula Pattern length-31=the number of the board as the ball exits the pattern. This is not the same as the break point.
    John sorry I had the correct board for the break point but listed the incorrect formula (Brain Fart) What I was referring to about 11 board was the break point The first highest red bar on the oil chart which is
    14 - 3 = 11. Shows what happens when you think about one thing and type another at the same time. Sorry for the confusion.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Thanks for the feedback and information. I have the bowl down to a 1500 grit. I played the same (middle road) pattern this past Wednesday. I slowed the ball way down and played first arrow. The ball carried very nice, and I shot much better (196, 178, 184). I haven't worked on finding the break point yet, but have that as something to work on over the summer. My next 2 weeks will be on the Route 66 pattern, which looks to be just as challenging. I saw the video up on usbcbowlingacademy about reading the oil pattern, and with the info below from you guys I will give that a shot. One other mention is that 4 people told me I was leaning forward at the line with my head. Is there something that can be down to help reduce that? The guys also said could be due to slowing my release down and my feet not being in time. Thanks again for the help and information, much appreciated!

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by ackwdw123 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and information. I have the bowl down to a 1500 grit. I played the same (middle road) pattern this past Wednesday. I slowed the ball way down and played first arrow. The ball carried very nice, and I shot much better (196, 178, 184). I haven't worked on finding the break point yet, but have that as something to work on over the summer. My next 2 weeks will be on the Route 66 pattern, which looks to be just as challenging. I saw the video up on usbcbowlingacademy about reading the oil pattern, and with the info below from you guys I will give that a shot. One other mention is that 4 people told me I was leaning forward at the line with my head. Is there something that can be down to help reduce that? The guys also said could be due to slowing my release down and my feet not being in time. Thanks again for the help and information, much appreciated!
    If you are ending your approach more than 6-8 inches from the foul line, move your starting point forward. Mark Baker explained to me that by ending too far behind the foul line that we ultimately know we need to get the ball on the lane, so our mind compensates by our body going forward. Just concentrate on keeping your head up and back, so you are balanced and your head is over (in alignment with) your knee and foot.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Quote Originally Posted by ackwdw123 View Post
    I have the exact opposite problem as you. I tend to be too quick with my timing, which causes all sorts of wackiness to break loose. Timing is so important to a bowler, and this is true in almost every sport played. As said above by Granny, ending too far behind the foul line makes your body lean forward to compensate. A quick solution to this is to simply move your feet forward a few inches. Do NOT, and I stress the word NOT, try to take larger steps or speed yourself up any great deal. Moving your feet forward a bit is the simplest solution.