Thread: What fingertip inserts do you prefer (soft or harder compound)

Default What fingertip inserts do you prefer (soft or harder compound)

My first ball drilled by PSO were softer compound fingertip inserts (don't know brand). First time experiencing them so didn't know any better

Second ball drilled by different PSO used the Turbo grips and a lot harder compound. At first didn't like the feel of them but after a few weeks I actually prefer the Turbo grips as I seem to be able to lift/rotate the fingers more or at least have more feel with them.

Chats: 256

I just use regular turbo grips, ovals.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Seems like I have gotten the softer more rubbery one's, I think they might have been vice ?
    I also recently noticed a difference in thumb slugs, with one type being a smoother surface and
    the other more of a textured service.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Seems like I have gotten the softer more rubbery one's, I think they might have been vice ?
    I also recently noticed a difference in thumb slugs, with one type being a smoother surface and
    the other more of a textured service.
    The difference in the thug slugs may be how they were finished if you prefer a smoother surface get some drywall sanding screen (good thing to keep in the bag anyway) and sand it with that works wonders if you like a smooth feel.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The difference in the thug slugs may be how they were finished if you prefer a smoother surface get some drywall sanding screen (good thing to keep in the bag anyway) and sand it with that works wonders if you like a smooth feel.
    Yeah my thumb slug feels kind of rough. I just put bowlers tape in there anyways now.

And although I don't "lift" the ball, I rotate via handshake I use the lifter fingertip inserts because they feel better

Chats: 0

I like the.Vise grips and thumb slugs. I use the oval sides mostly, although I do have a few balls with the lift side in. I like the softer compound. But I was bowling 20 to 50 games a week last season too.

Wow. 20-50 a week. I average around 15 a week with the AMF Summer Pass that allows 3 free games a day. Haven't paid for a game in months. I do spend money on food and beverages though

The smoother finish seems less rough on the thumb, and feels like I get a better release. I'll have to pick up a piece and try it, Thanks

I picked up a screen today, they were out of 220 grip so got 150, I think this is much too abrasive, but it gave me an idea and I used a buffing pad in my dremel and that helped a bit, comparing it to the other balls it appears that this slug is a different material than the one's in the other 2 balls I had drilled earlier this year at a different pro-shop.
    Last edited by Tony; 06-06-2015 at 12:11 AM.