Thread: U.S. Senior Open Notes/Observations

Default U.S. Senior Open Notes/Observations

I spent several hours so far this week at the Senior U.S. Open at the Suncoast in Las Vegas. I was really surprised at how much I missed being able to bowl this year due to back problems, especially considering how tough the tournament has been each year in which I have bowled in the past. Some interesting observations:

1. Notables that made the cut to the top 48: Jack Jurek, Rick Steelsmith, Amleto Monacelli, Pete Weber, Chris Warren, Ron Mohr, Harry Sullins, Mike Edwards, Tom Baker, Norm Duke, Eric Forkel, Bryan Goebel, Bob Learn, Rober Lawrence, Walter Ray Williams Jr., and Mike Scroggins.

2 Notables that missed the cut to the top 48: Johnny Petraglia, Brian Voss, Dale Traber, Parker Bohn III, Mark Williams.

3. League bowlers who I know personally who average at least 220 who missed the cut: 12.

4. League bowlers who I know personally who made the cut: 0.

Interesting side notes: Mike Taylor, who qualified 3rd is known as one of the top bowlers in Vegas. In the past, he won the Southern Nevada Masters using a plastic spare ball!

Sad Story: A good friend of mine (a competitor in a league this winter) had a good shot at making the cut. He was +12 going into the final qualifying round. I watch him struggle, trying to move far enough left this afternoon on the double burn. The sad part of this story is that he is a great bowler whose style lends itself to swinging the ball. The problem is that he, like most of us, never gets the chance to practice this shot, because every bowling center puts out a shot to let league bowlers feel good about themselves.

Chats: 204

Jurek has been on a tear thus far.

And it's surprising that Parker Bohn missed the cut...he's been as hot as anyone thus far this season. I'd say right now...Bohn, O'Neill, and Jurek are the hottest hands in bowling. Belmo is still the near lock for player of the year...but that was due to winning those titles early in the season...since then he's only made 1 tv appearance (I think) not counting the PBA League...and I think that was Tuesday and he got beat as far as I know.

I still need to catch up on my XTra Frame stuff. I need to finish watching the Queens match play and then start watching the Senior Open at Suncoast.

Chats: 0

Must have been a brutal pattern. Those 12 guys who averaged 220 and didn't make it must have been frazzled by the end of it. I can't begin to imagine what I would shoot there.