Thread: Track Line Moving.....

Question Track Line Moving.....

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed my track line has moved almost 3 inches to the left from the finger holes (not consistently - but more or not, it's not where it used to be) I am usually 1/2" left Finger holes and 1/4" left of thumb.

I do have many different balls, and a few of them do have thumb pitch differences, some are 1/4 reverse, 1/8 reverse but the ones I use often are 1/8 forward. Could this be coming into play.

I just thought about this after last nights performance, I scored well 680, but it was like the ball was hardly moving and the track line was over top of the lable on the Gamebreaker with pin above ring finger. It was not a good night for me, as almost every time I rolled the ball, I felt something was wrong, and immediately looked at the track. It felt I was coming around the ball way early and spinning it instead of rolling.

Now on the other hand, I do have 279 league games in already this year, 4 nights a week, 1 mixed every other week and I sub 3 out of 4 weeks on the night I have off. I may be getting burned out a little or tired - could this be causing it?

I'm heading back up today and taking the 4 balls with different pitches to see if that is causing it. I was not dropping the ball and I felt like I was following through good. Hitting my mark was close, but I was almost aiming at 10 standing right 10 - so it was almost straight at it off the corner. There was a lot of carry down, but even the immortal wouldn't move much so I knew I was doing a lot of bad things. Once I slowed down my feet, it got better, but the track line didn't get any closer to where it should be. This was causing a lot of 5 pin leaves and a few 10 pin high flush shots.

Just looking for suggestions here.....
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-02-2009 at 01:36 AM.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Default Practice Session Update (Track Line Moving)

Practice session results, apparently the pitches in the balls were not making any difference, but after 2 games of just shooting and recording, I sat down and copied to the laptop and watched them all:

something jumped out at me right from the beginning, I noticed my shoulders were not square to the lane, to the right and arm was flailing in that direction too. I slowed it down and saw my plant foot was turned to the right also. I paused it and threw 4 more balls (all the different pitches) all of them did the same thing. I then slowed everything down to a crawl, and only took 1 step at the foul line and everything was fine, track line was good, shoulders were square. The item was my leg kick, I did pull a muscle about 6 weeks ago in my right leg, not the hamstring thank god, and I cou;dn't figure out how I did it.

Now I know, I was forcing my right leg back and to the right so fast, it was turning my body to the right through the upswing -

I turned on the camera again, and threw a few frames, concentrating only on easing my right foot to the left (not back and left) (Track line moved closer but not exactly where it was) The roll on the ball was much better, it had more energy on the backend. It got through the hacked up front good with enough to cut through the carry down. I was playing 12-15 straight up - my coach was working tonight, and came down to see, says he notices something is looking better and your getting much more roll on the ball. After I eplained it to him....He just laughed, "we didn't have all this fancy equipment back in my days...blah blah blah, we had to learn it and store it in our brains...blah blah blah."

You just have to weed through his old school style, he's such a good guy, he doesn't give me many breaks - he pushes me so hard to define my game and get better every night. I agree with him, if you don't learn something every day, your wasting your time and his as he says it.
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-02-2009 at 01:42 AM.

The simple explanation for the movement of your track is that you were originally coming up the back of the ball, causing more end over end roll, and now you are coming around the ball, adding more sideroll. When you roll the ball end over end, you are going to have a very high track, as you stated (less than 1" left of your finger and thumb holes), and the more sideroll you have, the lower your track will get and the ball will flair more. Adding sideroll will add more backend movement, whereas coming up the back of the ball will decrease the backend movement.

I personally have a ton of sideroll, almost like Pete Weber. When I throw my Cell, the oil rings will cover almost half of the ball, all because of the ball flairing, and then turning over on itself. This allows me to play WAY deeper than most people, while giving me some room to miss right because the ball will recover.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

I totally understand why my track was moving - the point was for the last month to 6 weeks maybe even longer - can't remember when it started, my track line moved and I battled to find out what I was doing differently.

Over the past week or so, we narrowed down the dropping of the ball, and most recently, found my armswing being too far back, which caused me to come around the ball early - as I used to do when I was cranking.

Tonight was a very good roll night, didn't score high, still got 634, but it was no drop shots, and only twice the entire night - I came around the ball - the rest of the times, my track was high where I want it and the ball felt good out of my hand with the 4 step approach.

I've been fighting mechanics and techniques for awhile trying to get to the result I wanted, and I lost track of what I changed at what time to get a certain result. So much information in my head, and when I bowled, I thought way too much on the approach. Trying to hard to be so fine with everything. Since

Duplicate post, mouse was too fast.
    Last edited by Iceman; 02-14-2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Duplicate post, quick mouse...

I actually went through a change that was almost the complete opposite of yours. Generally, I tend to crank the ball and really come around it to add sideroll. After taking a short period off from bowling, I was wondering as to why my track got so much higher than it used to be. Turns out the lay off caused me to stop coming around the ball, and start coming up the back of it. I lost my backend power, overall hook, and could not wheel the lane to save my life. Took me a few weeks to finally figure it out, then once I made the adjustment, it was like I never took a day off.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums