Thread: New member, new to bowling, and learning, slowly

Smile New member, new to bowling, and learning, slowly

Hi everyone!

I'm new to bowling and finally learning. Last time I tried bowling was around 8 years ago and maybe 20 years before that.

In December, went bowling with relatives several times, scores 60-70's. Was horrible, more balls in the gutter than hitting the pins! Daughter is on a high school team and they make it look so easy! Its not!!! Decided it was time to learn.

Here is my journey so far:

1. The rental shoes were so flimsy and felt like slippers, so the 1st purchase decision was to get my own. Decided on right handed instead of universal, since more traction on the right shoe.

2. The house balls rarely fit: either too tight & light, or too loose & heavy. Decided to get my own ball, plastic to start with, because wanted to learn basic form and accuracy 1st and defer learning to hook later.

3. Decided to get it drilled with fingertip grip instead of conventional because eventually may upgrade to a reactive ball. Besides, I was already using house balls with holes too small, like finger tip grip anyway! The new ball fit perfectly and immediately increased average score by 30 points!

4. Had iPhone videos taken to look at what I'm doing wrong.

5. Watched web videos to see what the are pros doing right.

6. Realized I can't do everything like the pros.

7. Researched the basics and learn more about timing, alignment, targeting, etc.

8. Trying to practice at least once a week (sometimes).

9. Practicing approach and full swing at home as much as possible.

10. Currently in a 10 week group clinic with several coaches. Spent $ on this instead of a reactive ball which will have to wait longer.

11. Haven't joined a league yet due to costs, erratic work schedule, and I'm still a beginner.

Highest score so far 147, average 120, usually between 105 and 135, so still very inconsistent. Goal is to reach 200 someday. Then 250? 300???

Bowling can be a fun family event! I'm looking forward to improving! There seems to be a lot of experienced bowlers with helpful info in this forum!
    Last edited by Average200someday; 06-05-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Corrected typos

Chats: 32

Congrats on picking up the sport and welcome to the forum sounds like you've got an excellent plan in place.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

Welcome to the forum. You have a great plan in place. Take it step by step and you will be wanting to change your name to average230someday.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Welcome ! Lots of great information and helpful members here to move along your plan, I've learned quite a few helpful things in the time I have been here. Good Luck !

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I look forward to learning more and getting better!