Thread: Coaching Dilemma

Chats: 32

Default Coaching Dilemma

I have decided to get some coaching finally for me and my family. I have wanted to do this for a few years but have been unable to find anyone in the area. I have worked with some of the local PSO's some but never an actual certified coach. After a lot of thought I contacted a well regarded coach in OH and he got back to me with what I thought was a very reasonable price. This guy is a top 100 BJI Coach. Right before he got back to me one of the guys at the lanes told me about their coach who also offered coaching for us. I'm not sure what this guys qualifications are but I have seen two of the bowlers this one coaches and both of them have excellent forms.

The price differences are not much between the two of them but the 3 hour dive each way to the OH coach is seriously going to add to the expense. So those of you experienced with coaching if you had the choice of having a top level coach say once a month or a less credentialed coach say every two weeks which would you pick?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 55

Personally, I would start with the one closer to home. You may find that every two weeks is too often...maybe not. Then, if you aren't progressing the way you want, or think you aren't getting enough from the lessons, I would take the drive and check out the option of the higher level. You may find that you will be able to use a combination of the two (if they teach similar) or you may find that the drive is well worth the additional time, or then, maybe the one close at home fits the bill. Just my humble opinion. I was using a coach near home - good qualifications, didn't feel I was progressing and so I went to a higher level coach, and now know how to get over that stumbling block. Once I have mastered the three things we worked on, I plan on returning to my original coach for additional information in regard to my bowling.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

My father is my coach, so I suppose you could say I get free coaching . As said above, I would definitely go with the one closer to home. With how expensive gas is nowadays, and how long of a drive it would be, your best shot would be to go with the one closer to where you live. That being said, if this coach isn't helping you and your folks progress as bowlers, then I would take the long drive over and see what the other guy has to offer.

Chats: 256

Echo what CG and HDIHA say about closer to home. I can see an hour(I go an hour to see Susie Minshew), but not 3.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

So much about coaching is how you communicate with your coach, and how he/she communicates with you, as well as personal chemistry. If I were you, I'd take one lesson with each and see where the best fit lies. Once a month is plenty for lessons as long as you are in it for the long run and really want to progress. Too often bowlers try to cram too much into too short a time in an effort to get a lot better NOW!

I've worked with a few different coaches and I found one of them suited me very well. Not only is he certified, he's patient, friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Early on I took several lessons fairly close to one another as a package deal and found that I felt as though I needed to do some work on what I'd learned well away from the coach. Working on technique on your own once you've been taught a concept is the way to go IMO. One lesson a month is plenty especially after you've got some of the basics out of the way. We spent a good amount of time getting my muscles out of the way and getting my hand behind the ball. It's amazing what these new fangled balls will do if you let 'em do what they're designed to do...
    Check out both coaches and then decide which fits best. I'm a little surprised that there aren't a few good ones to choose from right there in Charleston. Oh well...

The best coach for you is the one that you learn the most from, the closer one would be my choice. You could see what they have to offer and how they are to work with, you can always take the drive to see the other coach in the future.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I'm a little surprised that there aren't a few good ones to choose from right there in Charleston. Oh well...

I was too. There is one silver level coach about an hour and a half away (never met him or heard anyone talk about him) and three Bronze level coaches in the state only one of whom is in the area. I do know the one in my area but he basically got the designation so his school could have a bowling team and doesn't coach. That's it for the entire state. Seems strange since we have 4 bowling alleys within 20 minutes of my house and 6 within an hour's drive. There are some PSO's that offer lessons but my experience with them has been it's more like tips while they try to sell you a ball not that some of them haven't been helpful but it's more like telling you to stay behind the ball instead of explaining why your not staying behind the ball if that makes any sense. In addition trying to get an actual lesson when they are trying to run a proshop and the bowling alley (most of the PSO's own the alleys they are based in here) isn't easy either.

I've decided to try the local guy first see what I think and go from there. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
    Last edited by Amyers; 06-10-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I was too. There is one silver level coach about an hour and a half away (never met him or heard anyone talk about him) and three Bronze level coaches in the state only one of whom is in the area. I do know the one in my area but he basically got the designation so his school could have a bowling team and doesn't coach. That's it for the entire state. Seems strange since we have 4 bowling alleys within 20 minutes of my house and 6 within an hour's drive. There are some PSO's that offer lessons but my experience with them has been it's more like tips while they try to sell you a ball not that some of them haven't been helpful but it's more like telling you to stay behind the ball instead of explaining why your not staying behind the ball if that makes any sense. In addition trying to get an actual lesson when they are trying to run a proshop and the bowling alley (most of the PSO's own the alleys they are based in here) isn't easy either.

I've decided to try the local guy first see what I think and go from there. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
    Reminds me of my previous PSO. He was open during leagues that he bowled in. So he was replacing my fingertip inserts in between his turns in league. Not sure how efficient he would have been if he had to measure my hand and PAP and drill me a new ball.

FWIW, I've seen many coaches over the last ten years. When i returned to the game/sport 13 years ago, I first got coached by local guys who had the eye for the game to proshop friends. Then I slowly moved up, paid for more lessons from cert coaches locally as well. But, after seeing and taking a lot of videos over those years, I needed more. I started seeing Top 50 coaches like Dick Ritger group, Dorathy H., Mike Jasnau, and most recently Mark Baker. As well as people well known in the industry who are not cert. but are qaulified to coach. (I don't want to give their names because the coaches I mentioned do know of the ppl I talk about lol..bowling industry has its drama)

anyway, I started locally and slowly started seeing coaches out of town. Also, I avoided large group coaching cause they are expensive and one on one is much better. Or, smaller group like yours are okay too. It really depends how bad and how much you want to learn and spend for it.

AND FINALLY.....Just because coaches have the CERT. PAPER that says they are Qualified to coach......Don't believe in these paper crap USBC gives out if you have $$$$$

In fact, one of those top coaches I mentioned.....I will never return to....NEVER! I learned more from non paper coaches than from this coach...

Mark Baker hands down is the best coach I've seen. If ever you have the chance, go see him or his Baker/Barnes camp. His Camp is an exception. He has 10 things to look out and improve upon. Get these down and you'll improve and understand the game even more.
    Last edited by fokai73; 06-10-2015 at 12:38 PM.