Thread: Bowling Marketing Foundation:Saving bowling or just Taxing it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Bowling Marketing Foundation:Saving bowling or just Taxing it.

The 11th Frame: Bowling industry poised to create $20 million annual marketing foundation, group says

https://www.11thframe.com/news/article/7531

Basically a group is attempting to unite all the Bowling companies and have them levy a surcharge (let's call it a "Bowling Tax") on all bowling products.

The money collected will be used to fund a "Bowling Marketing Foundation"

This bowling tax will be payed by the consumers (Bowlers) and proprietors that use their products.
    (Of course the proprietors will just layoff the tax on the bowler by increasing lineage.)

They don't know what the percentage will be, but gave a example of say 5% (percent) or how the money would be used.

"The group has no interest in figuring out how to spend the money raised.", They'll leave that to someone else, “There’s people way smarter than us to figure out the best way to spend the money,” Johnson said"

And if a company doesn't want to participate in this, they'll shut them out and/or have the mfg. that are participating apply pressure on them to join the group.

"“The big concern we heard is, ‘What if one company doesn’t participate and suddenly a competitor’s prices are 5 percent cheaper?’ ” Stubler said.

The answer would be that any company not participating wouldn’t be able to take part in any of the group’s programs, he said.

And, added Johnson, there likely would be peer pressure to participate: “I think it’s a big negative if we’re promoting industry unity and one doesn’t get involved.”"

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

After reading the article, I must say that I'm not a big fan of the concept. I like the idea of bowling proprietors enlisting the help of marketing experts to help to grow the sport (business). What I don't understand is why the bowlers should be expected to pay for it. Many of us witness on a weekly basis, the lack of respect that proprietors show the sport side of bowling by doing everything they can to promote open play while doing as little as possible for their bread and butter: league bowlers. Asking bowlers to pay for a marketing group that will only increase that obsession with open play is just wrong in my opinion.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I'd rather see something done, on a national scale, to promote youth bowling--and I don't mean a bunch of kids screwing around with rails/bumpers for a few hours on a Saturday morning.

The thing I've noticed in the areas I bowl is a distinct lack/waning of interest in the sport from youth over the years. Kids who do join the leagues often lack proper coaching because there aren't enough youth coaches. Investing in the game at this level, to me, wouldn't yield results for a long time.....but it would help bring numbers back to the game in many ways.

Chats: 256

Do other sports have same type of marketing foundation?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    I'd rather see something done, on a national scale, to promote youth bowling
    Theoretically that's one of the things the money from the fund could be used for.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Why does this feel so typical for bowling. Give us money and then we will tell you what we did with it. Maybe
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Why does this feel so typical for bowling. Give us money and then we will tell you what we did with it. Maybe
    Ranks just below,"We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it."
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    After reading the article, I must say that I'm not a big fan of the concept. I like the idea of bowling proprietors enlisting the help of marketing experts to help to grow the sport (business). What I don't understand is why the bowlers should be expected to pay for it. Many of us witness on a weekly basis, the lack of respect that proprietors show the sport side of bowling by doing everything they can to promote open play while doing as little as possible for their bread and butter: league bowlers. Asking bowlers to pay for a marketing group that will only increase that obsession with open play is just wrong in my opinion.
    Bowlers fund bowling alleys. Owners only have money because people come to their alleys and bowl. If the owner has to pay for something, the cost is passed along to the bowlers.