Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Importance of Surface

Chats: 32

I think most serious bowlers who care know the basics higher Rg farther down the lane later roll. low Rg hooks sooner earlier roll. Differential lower numbers flare less (which you've marginalized for average bowlers in the past I continue to believe this and I have proved it with my own bowling - as my rev rate has increased, so has the impact of the differential on the flare that I can expect). Wasn't disagreeing with you about this just stating one of the supposedly important core related numbers you yourself have stated is inconsequential to the average bowler

Now if you really want to find what I think is crazy check out the bowlers who believe there's much difference between a pearl and a polished solid. This is an example in the other direction. More knowledgeable bowers who play on different parts of the lane know that there is quite a difference between a pearl and a polished solid. That they often result in comparable lengths, the way they react to oil and friction is completely different. I will admit I'm not comfortable on the extreme inside (beyond 4th arrow) or the extreme outside (Outside of the first arrow) but I think I cover more of the lane than most bowlers I see. Really if we accept that they offer comparable lengths and we take Mo Pinel's opinion that the core dictates performance on the last 20% of the lanes as fact (I'm sure people will disagree with that) How much room is left for the difference to be? I would love to see a throwbot study with the Hyroad pearl, solid, and hybrid all finished to the same surface so people could really see how much difference their truly is. I can guarantee you it's less then the average bowlers miss area.

It's not just new bowlers who pick this way I know very experienced bowlers who buy balls because of the color scheme or because the last one they bought from that company is good. How many "experienced" bowlers do you know who have bought balls only to find out they weren't what they thought when a few hours of research would have led them to a different conclusion? I'm sure it's a bunch. My only real point here is you believe the problem most bowlers have with ball selection is underappreciating the core dynamics. Maybe your right but personally myself most bowlers even experienced ones do little to no research on any aspect of their balls and the few that do probably look at the core numbers more than anything else what I see is they often fail to realize how the cover stock and surface will effect what they expect to see based off of those core numbers.
    Last edited by Amyers; 06-11-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Most bowlers who have a pretty consistent release and has their PAP measured and has a good PSO that will suggest them balls will probably not need or care for any of the RG/Differential numbers nor coverstocks. Sure one may hook or read the lane earlier but the majority would have no idea it does. The difference is pretty minuscule to the untrained eye.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Yesterday I found the lanes not surfaced for our senior league. Brought a Storm IQ Tour Nano, Reign On and Optimus. Started with the Nano for about a game and a half. I was further left than I ever recall being. The ball could have been rolling out, but a couple shots looked almost like the ball was coming back at me that it crossed the lane that hard. I switched to the Optimus and finished out with it. It was making hard moves at the breakpoint, but it made it further down the lane which made it a bit better than the Nano. Looking at the specs it looks as though the RG of both balls are on the low end and differentials are higher on the Optimus than the Nano. In this case the Nano's surface was dominant getting into a roll. Wish I had either a Lights Out or Tropical Breeze with me as a back up rather than the Reign On. I'll have one of those with me next time just in case...
    Like you Tuesday night I watched the tech oil the lanes just be for league play and there might have been 20 to 22 feet of pattern super short. I started practice with my storm Ride then switched to my Radical Score both balls I was as far left as I could be and still roll my lane. After 20 ft the ball would snap into a hard left turn so I put them away and picked up my Taboo Spare ball which comes into play on dry lanes from time to time. The first 2 balls I rolled where strikes. I had a decent night using a ball that I might have thrown 20 times in the past 3 months. That plastic space ball hooked like a champ and when I came off the back of the ball it rolled nice and straight. I have a new found fondness for that ball and to think I almost gave it away weeks ago. BTW where in central Florida do you bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Most bowlers who have a pretty consistent release and has their PAP measured and has a good PSO that will suggest them balls will probably not need or care for any of the RG/Differential numbers nor coverstocks. Sure one may hook or read the lane earlier but the majority would have no idea it does. The difference is pretty minuscule to the untrained eye.
    I wouldn't put all my eggs in the basket of believing everything the PSO tells you about purchasing bowling balls. At the very least their perceptions are colored by their own favorites in some cases more often they are a salesperson hawking the next great thing regardless of how it fits your game. Not saying their aren't great ones out there but I see way to many bowlers with ball choices that just don't make sense to have to much faith in them. My current PSO I believe has a good handle on the Hammer and Brunswick balls if I want something else it's going to be up to me.

if you can't tell the difference between a Hyroad pearl and a Hypercell going down the lane you need to spend more time studying bowlers and their bowling balls.

Current arsenal

Chats: 0

Check out Video Below pretty dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khUITPlM5-Y

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDi View Post
    Check out Video Below pretty dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khUITPlM5-Y
    That was a nice illustration of how the ball surface can change the reaction !

I agree that it was pretty dramatic, and no one is disputing the importance of the surface. I woul still love to see a comparison of two balls, starting with the same surface, but one ball has a low rg and the other a high rg. I wonder if you could actually get the high rg ball to roll sooner than the low rg ball, if the high rg ball had surface, and the low rg didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I agree that it was pretty dramatic, and no one is disputing the importance of the surface. I woul still love to see a comparison of two balls, starting with the same surface, but one ball has a low rg and the other a high rg. I wonder if you could actually get the high rg ball to roll sooner than the low rg ball, if the high rg ball had surface, and the low rg didn't.
    I agree, it would be a very interesting comparison to see the effect of RG, and see what you could do by applying surfaces !

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Find a dv8 ruckus and compare that to a storm Optimus guarantee you the ruckus rolls first. Want to make it even clearer hit the ruckus with a 1000 grit pad. The ruckus can be pretty early with some surface.

Current arsenal

Chris Barnes said something to the effect that the ball goes about 3 feet further down lane for every .04 difference in RG. I don't know if that is true or even if I'm quoting it correctly.. however.. Look at the Hyroad and IQ tour Fusion (both with the R2S Hybrid Coverstock)
    Fusion: RG: 2.49 Diff: 0.29
    Hyroad: RG 2.57 Diff: .046

With the same surface I find it very hard to believe that the Fusion is starting up 6 feet earlier. They are extremely similar with the difference in shape seemingly being the hyroad slower transitioning.. but not later. (maybe it is later but very hard to see) However.. I can see a HUGE difference in the Fusion at 2000 Grit vs they Hyroad at 1500Polish.

I know this is an anecdote and in no way is an attempt to dispute the original poster's point about not learning about RG numbers etc..... however in reality the surface has a much more obvious effect whether the percentage is correct or not.. If I need a ball to pick up earlier I would reach for a higher surface ball before I would bet the Lower RG ball would accomplish what I need it to by picking up a bit earlier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast